News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

showngo

Im trying to go through all these pages.   
I "upgraded and have a dead site with HTTP ERROR 500.

I tried to resotore my DB from my backup from before the upgrade and still have the error,  I am trying a Complete restore.   Any insight here?

showngo

Restoring the DB did not work so i restored the home directory.  I found the index.php was mrssed up.
All up and running on the old version now.

khigh

Thanks as always for Simple Portal, and I've had fantastic luck in the past getting support on the site, but as far as I can tell, it's been down for a while now.

Anyone know what I'd need to look for if my main portal page has started loading very slowly - 30 seconds or more, while the rest of the page loads on the site are near instantaneous. It seems spotty - 10 seconds is probably average, but always a noticeable lag not present on any other pages on the forum.

Thanks for looking!

aegersz

check the bottom of your page to see how long it took to build the page and with how many queries, for a start.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

khigh

Thanks for the pointer. I don't see it - either on the Portal page or the forum home page.

Is it something I need to enable?

br360

Admin» Features and Options » Layout

Look for Display time taken to create every page and make sure it is checked

[SiNaN]

Quote from: khigh on August 29, 2017, 05:24:08 PM
Thanks as always for Simple Portal, and I've had fantastic luck in the past getting support on the site, but as far as I can tell, it's been down for a while now.

I'm glad to hear that we were able to help. Unfortunately we are having some server issues at this time but hopefully the site will be back soon.

Quote from: khigh on August 29, 2017, 05:24:08 PM
Anyone know what I'd need to look for if my main portal page has started loading very slowly - 30 seconds or more, while the rest of the page loads on the site are near instantaneous. It seems spotty - 10 seconds is probably average, but always a noticeable lag not present on any other pages on the forum.

It's probably one of the blocks on the front page that causes this. RSS feed block is the first one that comes to mind, since it relies on an external source for data. If you could tell us which blocks you have, we may have a better idea. It would be even better if you can identify which blocks appear only on the portal page and not on any other page of the site.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

khigh

Yes - I have RSS feeds on the front page and nowhere else.

That would make sense. Thanks!

Is there a way to track i a certain one is slow?

[SiNaN]

The easiest way would be to deactivate the RSS feed blocks one by one and try loading the page. However, if you are able to find an alternative service that allows you to embed RSS feeds using JavaScript, that would be even better option. Unfortunately, the block we currently have in SimplePortal is not the best option performance-wise.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

kim_c

Quote from: [SiNaN] on August 30, 2017, 02:44:10 AM

I'm glad to hear that we were able to help. Unfortunately we are having some server issues at this time but hopefully the site will be back soon.

So glad I saw this, I thought simpleportal was no more. Hope it's back up soon :)

khigh

Quote from: [SiNaN] on August 31, 2017, 02:54:31 AM
The easiest way would be to deactivate the RSS feed blocks one by one and try loading the page. However, if you are able to find an alternative service that allows you to embed RSS feeds using JavaScript, that would be even better option. Unfortunately, the block we currently have in SimplePortal is not the best option performance-wise.

OK yes I disabled the feeds one by one. and saw the difference. It seemed a lot to have to do with the level of site the feeds were coming from. National news feeds didn't slow it down, but mom and pop feeds do. All my users who have expressed an opinion say to keep the "lesser" feeds because that's the bulk of the useful information for our specialized site.

Would the java thing you mentioned help? If so, could you point me in the right direction to learn about it?

Thanks again for the wonderful tool and the helpful support.

Sir Osis of Liver

Is it possible to put SMFPacks shoutbox in SP portal block?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

efk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 19, 2017, 05:05:16 PM
From what I know it is possible to place "Open Popup" in block, but then sound notification is lost. My friend did that, but probably you already tried this.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3939015#msg3939015

br360

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 19, 2017, 05:05:16 PM

Take a look at this link and read the few posts after as well- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3843832#msg3843832

Sir Osis of Liver

Believe I tried that earlier today.  I can display shoutbox above portal blocks, but not in a block.  The function call does not appear in index.template.php, and doesn't work in php block.  Current version of SMFPacks shoutbox is different from what I've worked with previously.  Will have another look tomorrow.

- R. Waters

br360

I just tried it again on a test forum with shoutbox 1.0.5 and simple portal 2.3.6 and it did work in a php block

Sir Osis of Liver

Just getting around to this again.  The function call does not work in a php block.  Your screenshot shows the shoutbox at bottom of page, I've already done that using sportal_main, it can be placed top or bottom with shoutbox config, but not in a portal block.  This forum wants to do same thing as in your topic link, place it in top center block, but it doesn't work.

- R. Waters

br360

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying about a block, as it was currently in a simple portal block (footer) It is definitely the smfpack shoutbox and not the portal shoutbox. Here is a screen shot of it now moved to a right side php block.

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you using this in php portal block?

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
if (function_exists('template_shoutbox')) template_shoutbox('main');
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

Doesn't work for me, just get the title bar, no shoutbox.  Unless, of course, I'm being stupid. ???

- R. Waters

br360

Yes, that is the exact code I am using.

If it helps; this is what I did.

1). Remove that smfpack shoutbox code from your index.template.php

2). Go into the shoutbox setting in admin and where you see "pages where shoutbox should be printed" make sure to add sportal_main

3). Create a new php block in the simple portal admin section and add the code you posted above.

That was pretty much it really. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and then reinstall the shoutbox mod and try the steps again

Advertisement: