News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Admin "spy mode?"

Started by Elijah Bliss, December 30, 2004, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah Bliss

Is there a way were an admin can be hidden from everyone including Global Moderators?

[Unknown]

Well, yes, if the Global Moderators don't have permission to moderate forum members.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 02, 2005, 02:02:00 AM
Well, yes, if the Global Moderators don't have permission to moderate forum members.

-[Unknown]

I take it that is requires quite a bit of code modification if Global Moderators have permission to moderate forum members.

I know it's a low priority but I think it would be pretty useful for admins who are constantly hassled trying to get work on their forums, and also somehow remove of hide "Last Active" in the admin's profile, or make it not visible for other members to see, because eve though you can hide your status the "Last Active" in the profile gives you away.

[Unknown]

Sources/BoardIndex.php:

elseif (!empty($row['showOnline']) || allowedTo('moderate_forum'))

Replace:

elseif (!empty($row['showOnline']))

Find, Profile template:

echo '
<tr>
<td><b>', $txt[233], ': </b></td>
<td>', $context['member']['registered'], '</td>
</tr><tr>
<td><b>', $txt['lastLoggedIn'], ': </b></td>
<td>', $context['member']['last_login'], '</td>
</tr>';

Replace:

echo '
<tr>
</tr>';
if (!$context['member']['is_admin'])
echo '
<tr>
</tr>';

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 02, 2005, 08:03:35 PM
Sources/BoardIndex.php:

elseif (!empty($row['showOnline']) || allowedTo('moderate_forum'))

Replace:

elseif (!empty($row['showOnline']))

Find, Profile template:

echo '
<tr>
</tr><tr>
</tr>';

Replace:

echo '
<tr>
</tr>';
echo '
<tr>
</tr>';

-[Unknown]

Thanks! I'm going to tinker with this and see is I can make a spy mod.

Red

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 02, 2005, 08:03:35 PM

Find, Profile template:

echo '
<tr>
</tr><tr>
</tr>';

Replace:

echo '
<tr>
</tr>';
echo '
<tr>
</tr>';

-[Unknown]

i cant find this code in Sources/Profile.php, am i lookin in the wrong place?

[Unknown]

Themes/yourtheme/Profile.template.php.

-[Unknown]

KERA

how can I see if it works??

I did all the above but it doesnt work I think

Oldiesmann

It will work. You just have to test it from the viewpoint of another user. To accomplish this, create a test account on your board. Log in to your forum as an admin and make sure you've set SMF to hide your online status. Then log out and log in using the test account. As long as you do it quickly enough, it should work. You may have to try it using two different browsers though - login as an admin from one browser, then login to the test account in another browser...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

crappyday

This isn't working for me with 1.1 Final.  I used my test account and I could still see my admin account in italics.

Interesting though, what it did do was make everyone invisible to me as an administrator.  I use Tiny Portal so the users online in the TP block worked like normal, but the one on the board index showed everyone online as hidden.

I reversed this and went back to the old codes, it didn't work.

KERA

Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 06, 2006, 07:10:33 PM
test account on your board. Log in to your forum as an admin and make sure you've set SMF to hide your online status.

For all the members the hidden status is not allowed..

the spy mode doesnt work. I tried what u said and still I can see me!! >:(

KERA

Quote from: KERA on December 12, 2006, 02:11:17 AM
Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 06, 2006, 07:10:33 PM
test account on your board. Log in to your forum as an admin and make sure you've set SMF to hide your online status.

For all the members the hidden status is not allowed..

it can work with that?

Kaptin

If I may, why would you want to hide from your Global Mods?  I would assume you would assign people you trust as a GM, so you should not have to hide.  But that's only my opinion.

crappyday

I can tell you why and it's sad but true.  Your GMs see you online while you're doing something you absolutely do NOT want to be bothered while doing it (i.e. coding or db type things), or if you are taking a day off or two and don't want to be bugged by them but they see you online and suddenly it's question after question and you don't have time for it.

Dannii

If your GMs bug you, then you need to find some better GMs.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

crappyday

This is not going to go over well but I think that's a poor assumption to make.

I want my moderators to be as active and involved as possible.  Having them bug me with questions and problems are things I WANT them to do, normally.  Do you want moderators that sit on their hands and have only a cute name and color and stars?  Have you ever taken a few days break from a site you run and still check in but not wanting the headaches of your moderators asking a billion questions or saying "Hey you're back, I'm glad because this and this and this and this?"

I'm not saying I absolutely need this to work for me but I tired it, it didn't work and life goes on.  I'm just stating the reasons why a Site Administrator might want to appear invisible to everyone.  There are other things a person could do like turning off all messengers and such but if there were another way then I would have done it but it did not work.

KGIII

It sucks but they should respect your privacy. Can you code it? The code is above and should work. If you can't trust 'em to leave you alone then ask nicer. (Not us, them.) If they STILL can't leave you along maybe rethinking your choices will work?

For now there are no really good methods at getting around it - someone can almost always figure out who is online even if it is just looking and seeing who is invisible.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

crappyday

This wasn't important to me really, for the most part I was playing devil's advocate but whenever I don't want to be bothered, I log off messengers or go invisible anyway :)

xyxis_fahim

Sorry, but the code isn't working for me. I tested it with another GM username and still no luck..
I really wanted this to work.

Advertisement: