News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Microsoft Word-like posting system

Started by trparky, August 03, 2003, 08:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trparky

Ok, before I post, please, will the Microsoft-haters stop reading now.......you haters won't like this post.

Anyways, I would like to see the ability to have a Microsoft Word-like posting system in which you have a GUI to write your message in.
Tom
Darkscribes [nofollow], Home of Anime Fanfiction and Original Works of Fiction

Douglas

This is one of the reasons why I moved off my last forum a couple weeks ago.  People (including myself) HATE the WYSIWYG interface, and it's not fully supported on all browsers.  :(
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

trparky

So what, give the option to use it.  Sure, so you need Internet Exploder ahem Explorer, big deal.  It is installable, and heck, it is included with every Microsoft OS.
Tom
Darkscribes [nofollow], Home of Anime Fanfiction and Original Works of Fiction

A.M.A

I always like the idea of a WYSIWYG editor, I even wrote a mod for it... I would love this if it is built in SMF.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Douglas

I personally hated it, too many problems with what's on Deluxe Portal and vBlah, IMHO.  I like it the way it is now, especially if they clean up the posting page a little bit.  :)s
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

mysterious

Quote from: trparky on August 03, 2003, 08:20:57 PMSo what, give the option to use it.  Sure, so you need Internet Exploder ahem Explorer, big deal.  It is installable, and heck, it is included with every Microsoft OS.

True. But not everyone uses their OS or wants to go near anything that might require their browser. I say leave it as a mod for the people who want it.

mysterious ( a proud Linux user 8) )

Spaceman-Spiff

well, just have it as a mod, not a built in feature...

i think the coolest way to do it is with XUL
but only mozilla/netscape browser can do that ;)

[Unknown]

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on August 04, 2003, 04:10:03 AM
well, just have it as a mod, not a built in feature...

i think the coolest way to do it is with XUL
but only mozilla/netscape browser can do that ;)

*stops reading because he'd rather be in love with a girl than a xml subset.*

-[Unknown]

charlottezweb

Maybe I don't know the technical side of this that much, but I think that would drastically reduce forum speeds...the editors I've seen like that are slower than this sort of posting setup at least

Jason

Winters

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 04, 2003, 04:59:25 AM
*stops reading because he'd rather be in love with a girl than a xml subset.*

-[Unknown]

*snickers*

Er, right, Word. Bad. Microsoft bad. WYSIWIG even badder.

Kris

I got one here with js behind, works in all browsers ;)

silverdragon

I would like to see a demo of the JS enabled one.  That sounds cool!

As for a browser not supporting JS, either it's so old that I would be surprised if it can render SMF at all, or the user was silly enough to disable JS (which is their choice to not see that content).  So I have no issue with it at all.

-SD

Spaceman-Spiff

[Unknown]

bloc

I think it a great asset to have a WYSIWYG-editor in there..but as a mod, since its quite some things that needs to be changed to put it in. I have gone the safe route(I hope!) - users can choose whether they want WYSIWYG or UBBC in the profile...and the editor does NOT have the ability to watch the html-code, just the WYSIWYG output. That way people can't put in malicious code.

Only thing is that people with javascript turned off CAN write code, since the script doesn't sense if the WYSIWYG - editor can be seen, only if the user WANTS it to be seen. But I am working on that..

Anyhow, I don't feel this should be more than a mod, because one of the main reasons SMF is so great is the speed. :) But for some type of forums that is not as important as mastering UBBC code - which confuse those with less internet experience.

[Unknown]

Any forum that does not clean html code, even if it doesn't let you type it, could be possibly exploited.

-[Unknown]

bloc

Yes. I still have to make the code to further "wash" the output before its inserted into the sql-tables. Learning as I go. ;) Luckily the base of my users don't seem to be interested in trying out what they can do with it...so I have to some time yet. ;)

Personally I like the UBBC code, but I was so fed up trying to explain how it works for so many - over so long time. And UBBC code is *not* that hard to grasp...(..) So i tried to implement the WYSIWYG editor , first in YSE and now in SMF.

It is probably not the best solution ( I am pretty sure not at all ) , but it works for now...

[Unknown]

Personally, I see the best way of doing this really to be using javascript to send the post in bbc, even if it is wysiwyg at one point.  No security risks, and better no need to, neccessarily, modify source files.

-[Unknown]

bloc

Keeping it in the template files only..yes.
I have looked at the script for Htmlarea and it is possible - just my knowledge of Javascript is limited...indead that route is better, since the code the users use, are usually the img/smile tags/code. And ..those without IE can't see the box anyhow. So sniffing out the browser, hide the UBBC buttons( to avoid duplicate functions..) if IE is present, is something I want to try out.

Anyway, I just have to say the code in SMF - and structure - is really wonderful. :) 

[Unknown]

eCardMax.com

Hello!

If you are looking for a WYSIWYG Editor to replace the Text Area to post the message then come here to check out my MOD

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=22468.msg179041;topicseen#msg179041

Hope you will like it
Jim

www.eCardMAX.com [nofollow]
E-cards are a fun and interactive way
to entice repeat visitors to a site,
Visit us for more in detail  :)

MY MOD:
Time to add WYSIWYG Editor to your SMF forum

Advertisement: