News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Multiple Accounts, Same Email

Started by Eliana Tamerin, March 16, 2008, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super_Benno

is it working? no one has confirmed that it works

Eliana Tamerin

I have successfully used it on a 1.1.x forum, and it works fine there. I haven't tried on 2.0 yet. So, yes, it's confirmed working.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

gadgetsol

Eliana Tamerin

Honestly, in SMF 2, I'd use SlammedDime's Subaccounts mod. Much cleaner.

Download | Docs

gadgetsol

this mod is not parse with SMF 2.0.1 :-(

oruyagercekolsa

Thank you very much hands of health

Jasper79

well said. That was the point I came here to search on this forum. Thanks a lot being so helpful to me.

Dromo

I've read this thread with a great deal of interest. I have a system where the forum is the backend of a custom application.  The problem I have is that many of the users of the system are couples who share an email address.  I have a workaround for this in that the second member is assigned an email address in my own domain which is then redirected to the original one. However, this is labour-intensive and not 100% reliable. That's why it would be of great benefit to me to be able to have duplicate email addresses inside my forum.

All system administration is done within the application and not on the forum. In addition, the only way into the forum is through the application; the standard way into it is blocked. What this means is that, within the forum, email addresses are only used for sending messages between users. They cannot be used for login and password management  (including the sending of reminders) is within the front end application.

The conclusion of this thread is that, provided you are careful, you can use duplicate email addresses inside a forum. Is this conclusion still valid for version 2.0.7?

Kindred

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 15, 2011, 06:55:32 PM
Honestly, in SMF 2, I'd use SlammedDime's Subaccounts mod. Much cleaner.

In general, it is a bad idea - because the SMF system allows a user to use the email address as an alternative login. So, by doing this - you are either REMOVING a feature or (if it is not removed) setting your site up for issues.

As for couples...   every person in my family has their own email account...   I fail to see why anyone would SHARE email accounts in this day and age - with all of the free account services out therem even aside from most service providers allowing you to have multiple accounts.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on April 11, 2015, 10:43:50 AMAs for couples...   every person in my family has their own email account...   I fail to see why anyone would SHARE email accounts in this day and age - with all of the free account services out therem even aside from most service providers allowing you to have multiple accounts.

I agree. Good lord, I'd never share an email account with my wife! I kid, there's nothing in my email she can't see if she wants but like Kindred says, why would couples share one? It's much easier for all kinds of reasons, not just SMF ones. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dromo

Steve and Kindred, thanks for replying.  I agree 150% with you about sharing an email account; I would never share an account with a family member - and neither would my wife.  However, the reality of the situation is that I am stuck with these 'till death us do part' guys and I have to live with them.

As I said, access to the forum is via our own front-end which does not use email addresses as a login and I don't need the forum to send password reminders.  The previous discussion on this topic confirmed that allowing duplicates would work (if not advisable for all the reasons stated).  The last post on this was about five years ago and I was just wondering if anything had changed in the code of version 2.0.7 that would change that position.

I'll take a look at the Subaccounts mod - but right now I'm in a hurry.

Kindred

No, I am pretty certain these instructions will NOT work with 2.0.x

Also, you should be running 2.0.9, not 2.0.7
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dromo

Kindred

because, as I read it -- the instructions given are for either 1.1.x or 2.0 prior to RC3...    neither of which will work well (if at all) on 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Dromo

Okay, I'm sure you know the code much better than I do. I had a look at the mod but it's far too complicated for what I need. So I guess I'm stuck with my workaround.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my post.

Steve

It's no trouble, it's what we do. Especially the support team. :P

And as Kindred said, you should really upgrade to 2.0.9 ... lots of security fixes ... :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Dromo on April 11, 2015, 07:35:45 AM
I've read this thread with a great deal of interest. I have a system where the forum is the backend of a custom application.  The problem I have is that many of the users of the system are couples who share an email address.  I have a workaround for this in that the second member is assigned an email address in my own domain which is then redirected to the original one. However, this is labour-intensive and not 100% reliable. That's why it would be of great benefit to me to be able to have duplicate email addresses inside my forum.

All system administration is done within the application and not on the forum. In addition, the only way into the forum is through the application; the standard way into it is blocked. What this means is that, within the forum, email addresses are only used for sending messages between users. They cannot be used for login and password management  (including the sending of reminders) is within the front end application.

The conclusion of this thread is that, provided you are careful, you can use duplicate email addresses inside a forum. Is this conclusion still valid for version 2.0.7?

Kindred answered plenty, but to quote my warning from the first post:
Quote-Email notifications sent to same address. This means that if multiple people have registered with the same address, the readers of that email address will see the notifications for all those accounts. Possible security issue. Besides that, PM notification emails would allow everyone to read the PMs of the other members, which would be a loss of privacy.

In other words, this breaks the privacy of Personal Messages. It would be a serious disservice to your members to allow a pair of accounts to have unlimited access to each others' PMs. If you truly wish to allow for this couple, short of introducing them to the joy of anonymous, throwaway emails, I would suggest they simply use a single account for the pair of them. That would be transparent to both you and your members that this account belongs to both members, and any communication with it is going to be viewed by both.

Hope you figure it out.

Download | Docs

Advertisement: