News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrading error (bug?)

Started by MPT., March 19, 2008, 06:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPT.

Hi all,

I get a strange error when I try to upgrade my forum (SMF 1.1 RC3):

First try:

Second try:

After the error message, upgrading discontinues.

It's a large forum with 800.000+ messages on it.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

leoedin

I get the same error :(

Stuck at 14%. It's a medium sized forum - 88,000 posts and 5000 members.

Any idea what the problem is?

AZ-{OVGY}

Exact same error here with the upgrade.  :(  Installing a fresh copy of SMF2 beta 3 on my test site (same webserver) works fine, but then I cannot import database (I think due to the differences between 1.1.4 and 2 beta3).  ???
[nofollow]

MPT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one..

AZ-{OVGY}

Size of the forum doesn't seem to be a cause as mine only has 449 posts atm.
[nofollow]

karlbenson

Sorry to hear about that.

Size shouldn't be an issue. I know in testing I upgraded 2 test forums at over 1million posts. Aswell as half a dozen others at various sizes.

Can I ask what version of PHP and mysql your using?

Guy Verschuere

I had the same error. After a couple of tries and copies and reinstalls etc it suddenly worked.

See also my posts in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228944.0

MatrixCrawler

Have the same problem.

mysql 5.0.51
php 5.2.4

upgrade from SMF 1.1.4

ladea

Same error here

mysql 5.0.32
php 5.2.0

With debug option enabled I only get !! Error!

MPT.

I'm testing it local with the same big database, and I get this now:
Error retrieving information on step: Updating indexes on "messages"...

Grudge

Can you have a look at the process list under phpMyAdmin and see whether any processes are in progress?
I'm only a half geek really...

leoedin

PHP 5.2.5
MySQL 5.0.45

I'm trying this upgrade on hostgator, although my actual forum install is on a different server. The forum was running fine with a database dump from the live forum before I attempted the update.

I have quite a lot of mods installed on the main forum, but I was attempting the update over a fresh lot of SMF 1.1.4 files setup to use the live forums DB dump, so the mods *shouldn't* cause an issue.

Upon starting upgrade.php, I get this error at 14% on the first step:

Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script).

Database Updates Complete! Click Continue to Proceed.
Updating indexes on "messages"...
!!
Error!

I've completely wiped everything, dropped the database, imported the dump again, extracted the SMF 1.1.4 install into a new directory, got it running, extracted the 2.0 update over the 1.1.4 install and run the upgrade. I can't see how I'm going wrong, so it must be some sort of configuration problem.

Process list:

Show Full Queries    ID    User    Host    Database    Command    Time    Status    SQL query
Kill    1841584    leoedin    localhost    None    Query    0    ---    SHOW PROCESSLIST
Open new phpMyAdmin window

The only SQL command in process is by me to show the process list!

MatrixCrawler

Quote from: Grudge on March 19, 2008, 09:27:06 AM
Can you have a look at the process list under phpMyAdmin and see whether any processes are in progress?

Seems that there is no other process than accessing the processlist.

IDBenutzerHostDatenbankBefehlDauerStatusSQL-Befehl
114100db115499_3local2:60401keineQuery0---SHOW PROCESSLIST

AZ-{OVGY}

[nofollow]

MPT.

MySQL = 4.1.21
PHP = 5

Is it possible that there is a error with the mysql dump file that I have restored?

AZ-{OVGY}

I tried a few dumps, each one with same error, however if i import them same dumps into 1.1.4 they import without error.
[nofollow]

leoedin

Can someone with a working upgrade report php/mysql versions, and perhaps give us an idea of the procedures they followed, the size of their forum etc.

MPT.

Quote from: AZ-{OVGY} on March 19, 2008, 12:44:37 PM
I tried a few dumps, each one with same error, however if i import them same dumps into 1.1.4 they import without error.
I've tried it too..

rsw686

Wow I must be one of the lucky ones where the upgrade to 2.0 went smoothly. I made a backup, crossed my fingers, and upgraded my live site. Of course I did package up all my own mods on a test site before hand. I was just too lazy to test the upgrade procedure.

I wonder if you could just skip that index step by removing it and run the command by hand afterwards with phpmyadmin?
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

MPT.

Quote from: rsw686 on March 19, 2008, 02:52:06 PM
I wonder if you could just skip that index step by removing it and run the command by hand afterwards with phpmyadmin?
How to do that?

Advertisement: