Membergroup Help!

Started by dezerteagal5, March 20, 2008, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dezerteagal5

Hi!
I cannot figure out how to make a membergroup, such as "Regular Member" have seperate permissions for seperate forums on my board.

For example.

If i want a regular member to be able to read and post stuff in the 'general forum' section. But i only want them to be able to read stuff in the 'other forum' how do i do this?

I've looked for a way to change the permissions for seperate boards and seperate membergroups, but i just cant find it!

For more detail into what im trying to do:
Say i have 2 groups. 1 is regular members 1 is premium members. i also have 2 seperate forums, 1 forum is for everyone, and 1 forum is for premium members only. but i want regular members to be able to read whats in the premium forum, but just not be able to post. but it seems if i set the 'board permission' to read only, then it limits both premium and regular users. and if i change the 'membergroup permissions' to read only then the regular members cannot post in any of the forums.

Im using SMF 2.0 beta 3. the latest one...

If someone can tell me how to do this it would allow me to continue work on my site, right now though, im at a stand still :(

thanks!

Rs2armor

Admin Panel > Members > [Dropdown menu] Membergroups

Is that what your looking for?

dezerteagal5

Quote from: Rs2armor on March 20, 2008, 06:19:45 PM
Admin Panel > Members > [Dropdown menu] Membergroups

Is that what your looking for?

Nope, what im looking for is a control panel where i can tell a certain membergroup what specific permissions they have in each seperate forum.

There must be a way to do it! I need to have paying premium members, in the premium usergroup to have the permission to post in the premium forum.
But i want it so regular, non paying, members. can only SEE what is being posted in the premium forum.

But if i go to the settings of the premium forum, the only permission options i get is to hide it from regular members, by unchecking them in the "Allowed Groups" area. But i dont want it hidden from reg members, just restricted.

But if i go and change the settings in the 'membergroups' the only option it gives is to restrict their posting in ALL forums.

I want the regular member groups to have different permissions for different forums, not 1 universal permission.

Im beggining to think you cant do this, that would be so gay! whats the point of having usergroups if you cant change their permissions for each board.

deda-cro

Quote from: dezerteagal5 on March 20, 2008, 06:42:50 PM
Im beggining to think you cant do this, that would be so gay! whats the point of having usergroups if you cant change their permissions for each board.

ADMIN --> MEMBERS --> Permissions --> Edit Profiles

Create a new profile and after that you just assign that profile to a specific board. I believe that is what you are asking for?

dezerteagal5

Quote from: deda-cro on March 20, 2008, 07:14:31 PM
Quote from: dezerteagal5 on March 20, 2008, 06:42:50 PM

ADMIN --> MEMBERS --> Permissions --> Edit Profiles

Create a new profile and after that you just assign that profile to a specific board. I believe that is what you are asking for?

Holy Smokes! That worked!
I just didn't understand what Profiles meant and what they did :)

Thanks mate!

cydward

Is this how they've implemented the advanced permissions in the beta?

In the old version, there was a checkbox under the Settings tab for:

"Enable advanced by-board permissions"

which allowed you to do this without having to create a separate profile every time you just wanted a few things to be different in a set of permissions. I've been trying to find a way to get to that level of granularity in this new version without setting up over 20 profiles, but have not found it yet.

Does anyone know if that's buried somewhere?

In particular, if I set up all those profiles, I can't remember what all the settings are for each of them, so I have to open them one by one to see what they're set to. It's a lot easier to just edit a board's permissions and make the decision right then about what should be allowed for specific member groups.

Yes, typically I want to make a board read-only to the general group, and writable for a small subset, and I can see making a profile for that, but there are so many other options (as mundane as whether to show avatars) that could be changed for each profile, it doesn't seem the most intuitive way to do this.

Thanks,
Cyd

Advertisement: