Previous topic - Next topic

SONSiVRi

Quote from: question on December 24, 2008, 10:04:36 PM
any idea ?

A- Seems you don't have $sourcedir defined. Check your MessageIndex.php
function MessageIndex()
{
global $sourcedir;

If there is no $sourcedir, your installation isn't completed as should be. You need to check all modifications by yourself and correct missing ones.

B- I am not sure but your SQL error provided by $id_msg if null.
My Mods - IP View Permission - Recycle Bin Cleaner - Ip to Country
www.sonsivri.com - microcontrollers
- Houston, we have a problem.

ccraciun

Please tell if it's working well with 1.1.7.
I am very interested in using this mod with my forum, but i'll give it a try if at least someone would tell that he succeeded... thanks a lot!

SONSiVRi

Quote from: ccraciun on December 25, 2008, 05:31:26 PM
I am very interested in using this mod with my forum, but i'll give it a try if at least someone would tell that he succeeded... thanks a lot!

Its working on my 1.1.7 perfectly. First backup, then hit try.

ccraciun

Quote from: SONSiVRi on December 26, 2008, 01:07:51 PM
Quote from: ccraciun on December 25, 2008, 05:31:26 PM

Its working on my 1.1.7 perfectly. First backup, then hit try.
I tried to installed it, but it gives me the following error; i didn't continued... any ideas?
I use 1.1.7, with the mods shown in attachement installed.
Thanks!

SONSiVRi

Quote from: ccraciun on December 28, 2008, 06:18:05 PM
I tried to installed it, but it gives me the following error; i didn't continued... any ideas?
Thanks!
You are using wrong file. You downloaded for smf 2.x, I ported it to smf 1.1.x versions. Its not officially release, I just made it myself. Here is link: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=230321.msg1557714#msg1557714

ccraciun

Quote from: SONSiVRi on December 29, 2008, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: ccraciun on December 28, 2008, 06:18:05 PM
Thanks!
You are using wrong file. You downloaded for smf 2.x, I ported it to smf 1.1.x versions. Its not officially release, I just made it myself. Here is link: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=230321.msg1557714#msg1557714
Ahh.. thank you very much SONSiVRi! I was in the rush of quickly installing this great mod and didn't pay attention to details...  ;)

I noticed that the mod is modifying only the default theme; for those like me that are using other themes, the lines between 60 and 80 must be replaced manually with the content of index.template.php from the default template. I guess it's enough to make the mod work correctly, am i right? Please confirm.
I mean i noticed the presence of expected description and keywords meta tags in the source, but i want to be sure that is the only modification needed.

And as probably expected, a few more questions/advices:
1. I noticed that in the source, inside the description meta tag, i have "example" instead of "example" as originally posted in the message; this may be a issue for crawlers to correctly understand the quoted words in the description and/or keyword tags?
2. I have an issue with the diacritics; same as mentioned in the above question i noticed the appearence of tot ce aţi văzut instead of tot ce aţi văzut; what would be recommended about that?
3. I would rather prefer the meta description tag to include the content of the title tag, because i consider it to be more descriptive than using the first words of the message.
For this, i replaced:
<meta name="description" content="', !empty($context['meta_description']) ? $context['meta_description'] : $modSettings['meta_description'], '" />', empty($context['robot_no_index']) ? '' : '
with
<meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], ' - ', !empty($context['meta_description']) ? $context['meta_description'] : $modSettings['meta_description'], '" />', empty($context['robot_no_index']) ? '' : '

as mentioned here.
What is your opinion about that?
And by the way: what is the purpose of the following line ', empty($context['robot_no_index']) ? '' : '

Please excuse my long message, i hope i am not bothering with all my specific issues, but any help would be highly appreciated.

Later edit: for question #1: I believe that is normal that &quot; to replace " in the source, due to the fact that all the content of the meta tag is already quoted as php code; if this is so, please ignore that question. I am newbie also at php coding.

SONSiVRi

"ccraciun"
While installing, you need to edit custom theme index.template.php. You can test it while viewing the meta tags in your browser.
I can't answer your 1 2 3, I have no clear ideas about them.
You were asking "what is the purpose of the following line": that condition is for adding "no-follow" meta tag. Which is prevents search engines crawls duplicated pages (print, archieve, wap...). Value is set when those pages are viewing.

ccraciun

Quote from: SONSiVRi on December 30, 2008, 02:00:07 PM
"ccraciun"
While installing, you need to edit custom theme index.template.php. You can test it while viewing the meta tags in your browser.
I can't answer your 1 2 3, I have no clear ideas about them.
You were asking "what is the purpose of the following line": that condition is for adding "no-follow" meta tag. Which is prevents search engines crawls duplicated pages (print, archieve, wap...). Value is set when those pages are viewing.
Ok, then it seems that the mod is perfectly working for me!
Cool line :) ... i was worried about the duplicated pages and without knowing this feature, i used Disallow: /*?action* line in robots.txt which gave me other big problems like not allowing google to see my sitemap, or gallery.  >:(
I understand that i can remove the "problem line" from robots.txt, and let only your mod do the job? This is great...

SONSiVRi

"ccraciun"
I am actively using robots.txt. Its having critical function. That meta tag isn't supported most of times, sometimes search engines still can crawl your pages and double indexing results to lowering your pagerank. I am attaching my robots file, you can take a look. Also check your website by using "site:www.smf.com" keyword, and you can see double indexes there (www.site.com/forum/index.php?topic=1234.0;prev_next=next#new and www.site.com/forum/index.php?topic=1234.0). Also you can see entry of SMF sitemap mod in robots file (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=755). Its perfectly working and I have indexed %90 of my forum in google (without double pages). But of course this doesn't mean I have higher pagerank, its around 2-3 I remember last.

ccraciun

Quote from: SONSiVRi on December 31, 2008, 05:32:59 AM
Many thanks for the valuable information!
... and Happy new year everyone!  :D

Dr Web

I installed this mod on my smf 2.0 b4 forum and it created a place to add Meta Description and Meta Keywords in Home ->Admin->Modifications->Miscellaneous, but, the 2.0 b4 version already have a place to insert keywords in Home->Admin->Features and Options->Layout, I have a problem, every time I insert a keyword on any of the places to insert keywords, it duplicates that keyword.

To solve the problem I want to delete the "Meta Keywords associated with the forum" feature on Home->Admin->Features and Options->Layout.

What is the piece of code that I need to delete and what is the file to delete it?

Thanks for any help, appreciated.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

Dr Web

Bump

Any help to solve the problem on my post above much appreciated.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

studentforums

How would I edite this mod to work with smf 1.1.6?
I only help those that help themselves. I suppose I am a bit like GOD that way.
If you realise anything useful, say something useful and help someone else.

Student forum for GCSE, IGCSE, IB, O & A Level and University Students

studentforums

I tried to install this mod, that someone edited for 1.1.x, for version 1.1.6 but got this error
Install Actions
Installations actions for "vBulletin Style Meta Tags":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Code    dbmodify.php    
2.    Extract File    ./Sources/MetaTags.php    
3.    Execute Modification    install.xml    Modification parse error
4.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error

Any offers?

Bancherd

I guess you could try to manually install the mod for 1.1.6, the edits are not that extensive.

studentforums

That could be tricky. It wouldn't be the first time I've brought the whole thing down trying to do it myself.

chadon

If you do a back up of all the files you have to edit, it will only take a few seconds to restore everything.
It would also be a good idea to upgrade your forum to the latest version :)

studentforums

I did think about upgrading but not all the installed packages I have are compatible with the latest version.

studentforums

OK Now I have tried to install manually by editing the relevant files, and failed.

I really need some help. Anyone?

hartiberlin

Quote from: Dr Web on January 02, 2009, 05:25:26 PM
I installed this mod on my smf 2.0 b4 forum and it created a place to add Meta Description and Meta Keywords in Home ->Admin->Modifications->Miscellaneous, but, the 2.0 b4 version already have a place to insert keywords in Home->Admin->Features and Options->Layout, I have a problem, every time I insert a keyword on any of the places to insert keywords, it duplicates that keyword.

To solve the problem I want to delete the "Meta Keywords associated with the forum" feature on Home->Admin->Features and Options->Layout.

What is the piece of code that I need to delete and what is the file to delete it?

Thanks for any help, appreciated.

You are right, there is already an option to set this under
Home->Admin->Features and Options->Layout
in the 2.0B4 version...

So what is the difference, when I would install this MOD ?

Why is a good Meta tag option not yet included in 2.0B4 standard installation ?

Advertisement: