News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

vBulletin Style Meta Tags

Started by rsw686, March 23, 2008, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccraciun

Any chance to have different meta description for each page with this mod? Now it uses the same description (from the first post of the topic) for all pages. I guess it would be best to take the description from the first post of each page.
Thanks!

sombra

You might try to remove this line from Subs.php  :D

$context['meta_keywords'] = !empty($modSettings['meta_keywords']) ? $modSettings['meta_keywords'] : 'PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum';

thanks for the reply i did that can i ask for what did i did that and how this mod works? do i need to put somthing in the blank spaces ?in the admin menu or leave it like that

Putnam

daveaite

Quote from: ccraciun on March 22, 2009, 01:46:11 PM
Any chance to have different meta description for each page with this mod? Now it uses the same description (from the first post of the topic) for all pages. I guess it would be best to take the description from the first post of each page.
Thanks!

HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! HELP
The BuyPoe Network!

http://vbsocial.com: Forum Styles for vBulletin and SMF

sombra

well i read all post here and now i know how to find if your mod is working or not

my conclution is... the fields in the admin they will be kept in blank

but if you notice in every single topic of your board if you see the source of every page they have metatags and they are diferent all that means the mod is working fine so thanks for the wondorfull mod and hope this can help people that dosent know how this mod works you can visit my site and see for yourself

www.todoilegal.net   ;)

daveaite

Well I already know that it's not working properly by the souce code. It's suppose to be dynamic, different keywords for every page, yet its the same keywords for what you pick in the admin panel.
The BuyPoe Network!

http://vbsocial.com: Forum Styles for vBulletin and SMF

DareDevil1990

can this be some how can be made to work with 1.1.8 i would really love it

Astra_200

I am using 2.0 RC1. SimplePortal 2.1.1 and Extreme 6 theme.

Can someone please tell me if this mod works with 2.0 RC1 and a custom theme?

I have searched this thread, and am now just simply confused.

If it is possible, could someone please just spell out how to make it work as though they were telling a complete noob, and not a coder with 500 years experience   

I've tried to install this mod and get the following error:

./Themes/default/index.template.php  Test Failed

Mod is looking for in ./Themes/default/index.template.php:
   <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], '" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />

My ./Themes/default/index.template.php has this in it.

<meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="', $context['meta_keywords'], '" />

I tried replacing my code for what the install is looking for but still get same error when trying to install.

I have relpaced Meta Description and  Keywords within my custom 'Extreme' theme. Would that make any difference?

Any help would be great.

SONSiVRi

"Astral2000"
My terms are;
Find code: That located in mod file, between Find tags.
Replace code: Code in between Replace tags right after Find tag.
Original code: Code is in your blabla.php file.

P.S: There are two types altering in mod files, additions (add after, add before) and replacing (replace). I am just telling replace side, you can apply these steps to the other ones too.

You tried to change your find code with original code, mod could install correctly. But seems you ignored dummy spaces or trailing spaces. It has to be exact characters placed, not much, not less. It may your editor shapes your copy/paste text. Use notepad while copying (from mod file) and pasting (into your php file) process. Even this trick doesn't work, you can always manually edit your files.

To manual edit;
You should place find code in your mod file, look for where it cannot match in original code, and delete those "doesn't match" area and paste there replace code. So that, you altered your file behalf of auto-installer, nothing much needed, installation is done.

But keep in mind;
If you have custom theme, it may uses its own index.template.php. Then mod doesn't work, you need extra steps to take. Because you edited default theme's php file, not php file you are currently using. Check your custom theme directory (whatever name is), locate index.template.php there; if it's exist, you need to edit it like you did before (manual installation steps). But this time you have to alter all edits related to index.template.php in the mod, not only "test failed" ones.

I know this doesn't enough to tell what you need, but I can't be clear as I dunno where you stuck at. So you have to ask what part you didn't understand, and spot me where you needed more guidance.
My Mods - IP View Permission - Recycle Bin Cleaner - Ip to Country
www.sonsivri.com - microcontrollers
- Houston, we have a problem.

SONSiVRi

Quote from: MRDJ on April 05, 2009, 02:20:55 PM
can this be some how can be made to work with 1.1.8 i would really love it
It's already exist, you just don't know where to look.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=230321.msg1557714#msg1557714

Astra_200

SONSiVRi, thank you kindly for your reply.

It did use notepad to try and edit and simply clicked select from the error window and pasted text into notepad exactly as copied.

I will study your reply and try again.  I have 8 duplicate meta descriptions showing in Google webmasters tools, so I would like to try and sort this if I can. Shame I'm only pretending to be a clever webmaster though  :-[

QuoteIt's already exist, you just don't know where to look.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=230321.msg1557714#msg1557714

Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in your link?

Thanks again for your offer to help.

SONSiVRi

"Astral2000"
My second message wasn't directed at you, it's reply to another person.

To your problem;
you were copying text from error window, I don't remember what error window it could be but you are using wrong place to copy, you should directly rip that codes in from mod file. Here is example;
Click here => http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1138
Select "metatags_1.1.zip" and choose your SMF version, then hit the "parse" button.
You are now seeing alters need to be done, press select to copy it.

Btw, I am having duplicate metatags too. I am using robots.txt file to block replicas of original page, like these
Disallow: /forum/index.php*.msg
Disallow: /forum/index.php*;wap2
Disallow: /forum/index.php?action=printpage
I can give you mine if you needed it.

Astra_200

It's already exist, you just don't know where to look.
[/quote]

Sorry SONSiVRi I did'nt notice.

I copied the text from the the small note to the left of the 'Test Failed' error when trying to install the mod.

(HERE) 1. Replace ./Themes/default/index.template.php Hope that makes sense.

It is laid out like

Find [Select]

<meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], '" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />

Replace [Select]

<meta name="description" content="', !empty($context['meta_description']) ? $context['meta_description'] : $modSettings['meta_description'], '" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? $context['meta_keywords'] . ', ' : '', $modSettings['meta_keywords'], '" />

I think I just need a little time to get my head round how to make this work,

I see I have to change my template ./Themes/default/index.template.php as well. I have already manually changed that to suit my forum with new keywords etc so will have a go at replacing correct mod text there as well.

Thank you.

webrookie

Hi SONSiVRi

I tried to install the metatags_1.1_for_1.1.x into my smf 1.1.8. The test result showed succesful for others but failed for ./Themes/default/index.template.php.
I have the Ad Managment 2.3 mod only installed. default theme.
My index.template.php file is attached here.

Can you help me execute the mod. I have heard a lot about it and I am sure it will work great for me.

SONSiVRi

Quote from: webrookie on April 23, 2009, 12:53:13 PM
Hi SONSiVRi

I tried to install the metatags_1.1_for_1.1.x into my smf 1.1.8. The test result showed succesful for others but failed for ./Themes/default/index.template.php.
I have the Ad Managment 2.3 mod only installed. default theme.
My index.template.php file is attached here.

Can you help me execute the mod. I have heard a lot about it and I am sure it will work great for me.

Look, what they got here? http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=49.0;sort=subject

webrookie

Hi SONSiVRi,
I made the amendments to the files as given out in install.xml and copied the MetaTags.php file to the /sources dir.
However then the forum boards pages are not loading but coming as blank.
In the file location the url comes as http://chemtopper.com/smf/index.php/board,2.0.html. [nofollow]
Can you help me out on this. Is there anything further to be done ?
My forum is located at
http://chemtopper.com/smf/index.php [nofollow]
Thanks

SONSiVRi

Quote from: webrookie on April 26, 2009, 08:04:34 AM
Hi SONSiVRi,
I made the amendments to the files as given out in install.xml and copied the MetaTags.php file to the /sources dir.
However then the forum boards pages are not loading but coming as blank.
In the file location the url comes as http://chemtopper.com/smf/index.php/board,2.0.html.
Can you help me out on this. Is there anything further to be done ?
My forum is located at
http://chemtopper.com/smf/index.php
Thanks

Attach your files as listed below and I will check them.
$sourcedir/MessageIndex.php
$sourcedir/ModSettings.php
$sourcedir/Display.php
$themedir/index.template.php
$languagedir/Modifications.english.php

webrookie

SONSiVRi,
Thanks a ton. I finally got it and have done the mod.
Just one question- where do I put 'my keywords' so that they can appear with the other keywords generated.
Its a great mod and promises a lot for me.

SONSiVRi

Quote from: webrookie on April 27, 2009, 01:44:24 PM
SONSiVRi,
Thanks a ton. I finally got it and have done the mod.
Just one question- where do I put 'my keywords' so that they can appear with the other keywords generated.
Its a great mod and promises a lot for me.
Admin => Basic Features => Meta Description &  Meta Keywords

webrookie

Advertisement: