News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

vBulletin Style Meta Tags

Started by rsw686, March 23, 2008, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolfx350

This is by far one of the best mods I have ever came across, I was always wondering why I am lagging in search engines compare to my competitors who are using VBulletin software.

Thank you rsw686 for making a mod like this.  And Thank you "SONSiVRi" for making it happen for all the 1.1.x version people.

SMF has nice folks like you guys which making it more successful each and everyday.

keep up the good work.

amko_sa

Quote from: Am' on March 14, 2010, 05:03:07 AM
Hello,

I allowed myself of hanged again the module to adapt to smf2 rc3, with some improvements and fix :

Quote- Compatibility 2rc3
- Moving the description field configuration above keywords
- Improved code generation for keywords:
----- Process lighter
----- Words <= 3 characters are automatically skipped in the keywords
----- You can customize the list of words that are ignored in the file metatags.php the varaible $common_words
----- Compatibility utf8 (éàé. ...)
- Added page number in the description

I took the module only because it seems to be abandoned, if this is not the case please contact me so that I removed :P

Working:

Configure your meta as in the screenshot:

In the index of your forum, you will have the meta as follows:

<meta name="description" content="Description of your site, visible only in index ^^" />
<meta name="keywords" content="board, smf, meta tags, visible in all page" />
<title>NameSite - Index</title>

In a board you will have the meta as follows:

<meta name="description" content="Name Board - this a Description for my new board for geek ... - Page 1" />
<meta name="keywords" content="Name, Board, Name Board, board, smf, meta tags, visible in all page" />
<title>Name Board  - NameSite  (Page: 1)</title>

In a topic, you will have the meta as follows:

<meta name="description" content="50 first lettres of this topic" />
<meta name="keywords" content="Title, topic, Titile topic, board, smf, meta tags, visible in all page" />
<title>Title topic - NameSite</title>

I hope you enjoy it, and thx google traduction  ;)

There is one problem with this mod.When I check my metatag I have error "no tiitle" and "no description" for all my topics but not for my index page.I use SMF RC 3 forum.

rd

You all do realize that Meta tags don't matter these days?

amko_sa

Quote from: Royalduke on May 30, 2010, 04:47:35 PM

Maybe but indexed links look match better examlpe:

Nero Multimedia Suite 9.4.39.0 -this is default in SMF

or with this mod:

Nero Multimedia Suite 9.4.39.0  - Name of your site

yoghurtfarmer

Quote from: Royalduke on May 30, 2010, 04:47:35 PM

Of course they do, no matter where you rank on google, no one will click if the description is poor. The description is often drawn from the meta description, so yes they do matter.

gourav

I am Getting Duplicate Meta Tags???
There are two options in my Forum  for this. One in Feature and Options menu
( there is only for Meta Tags the default one of SMF )

second is in Modification Section with Description and Meta tags option
If i remove Meta Tags from any one of side it gets removed from both
side and if there are tags then its shows up two times in source :(

What could be the problem?

Alyen

I can only KeyWorks the default, do not leave the keys in the title or the name of the board.

look at the example:

http://www.xpzone.net/geral/sugestoes-de-tutoriais/

<meta name="description" content="Boa noite galera,  Vou dar início a uma série de tutoriais desenvolvidos por mim para o fórum XPZone, mas falta idéias de tutoriais, caso você tenha" />
<meta name="keywords" content="server, servidores, mu online, cabel online, lineage 2, downloads, tutorial, designer, server file, portifolios, paginas de mu, server, servidores, mu online, cabel online, lineage 2, downloads, tutorial, designer, server file, portifolios, paginas de mu" />

My Forum: www.xpzone.net

SONSiVRi

Quote from: Alyen on June 20, 2010, 10:39:24 AM
I can only KeyWorks the default, do not leave the keys in the title or the name of the board.

look at the example:

<meta name="description" content="Boa noite galera,  Vou dar início a uma série de tutoriais desenvolvidos por mim para o fórum XPZone, mas falta idéias de tutoriais, caso você tenha" />
<meta name="keywords" content="server, servidores, mu online, cabel online, lineage 2, downloads, tutorial, designer, server file, portifolios, paginas de mu, server, servidores, mu online, cabel online, lineage 2, downloads, tutorial, designer, server file, portifolios, paginas de mu" />

Did you edited your custom theme if you have?
My Mods - IP View Permission - Recycle Bin Cleaner - Ip to Country
www.sonsivri.com - microcontrollers
- Houston, we have a problem.

Alyen

Quote from: SONSiVRi on June 20, 2010, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: Alyen on June 20, 2010, 10:39:24 AM

look at the example:

Did you edited your custom theme if you have?

yes  ;D

My Forum: www.xpzone.net

OnlineFunCorner

Thanks For Great MOD
I Am Using 2.0 RC1
Having Problem With Two Files During Installation Of metatags_1.1.zip

001---
   Add After     ./Sources/ManageSettings.php     Test failed

Find
  // Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!! 

Add After
  array('text', 'meta_description', '75', $txt['meta_description']),
  array('text', 'meta_keywords', '75', $txt['meta_keywords']), 

002---
   Replace     ./Themes/default/index.template.php     Test failed

Find
  <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], '" /> 
  <meta name="keywords" content="PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" /> 

Replace
  <meta name="description" content="', !empty($context['meta_description']) ? $context['meta_description'] : $modSettings['meta_description'], '" /> 
  <meta name="keywords" content="', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? $context['meta_keywords'] . ', ' : '', $modSettings['meta_keywords'], '" /> 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!
Help Me

I Think Due To Some Other MODs Find Strings From Both Two Files Are Missing Or Due To 2.0 RC1

Please Tell Me How I Manually Put Code And Where In These Files
Thanks

OnlineFunCorner

Is There AnyOne For Help
I Really Need Help

SONSiVRi

Quote from: Dr.IT on June 23, 2010, 06:36:26 AM
Is There AnyOne For Help
I Really Need Help

I never used 2.x family. But if I was in your situation, I would downloaded fresh copy of forum and "find" those patterns in fresh forum and once I locate the place I could match with my forum. Then I manually apply the missing modifications.

OnlineFunCorner

Thanks
I Will Check All And Come Back Soon!

OnlineFunCorner

Ok
Lets See
In Fresh Setup

Index.template.php Contains
        <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="', $context['meta_keywords'], '" />

ManageSettings.php Contains
        // Mod authors, add any settings UNDER this line. Include a comma at the end of the line and don't remove this statement!! 

Currently In My Website

Index.template.php Contains

ManageSettings.php Contains
        // Mod authors, once again, if you have a whole section to add do it AFTER this line, and keep a comma at the end.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
I Have To Replace

WITH

<meta name="description" content="', !empty($context['meta_description']) ? $context['meta_description'] : $modSettings['meta_description'], '" />
        <meta name="keywords" content="', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? $context['meta_keywords'] . ', ' : '', $modSettings['meta_keywords'], '" /> 

AND

ADD
  array('text', 'meta_description', '75', $txt['meta_description']),
  array('text', 'meta_keywords', '75', $txt['meta_keywords']), 

AFTER
// Mod authors, once again, if you have a whole section to add do it AFTER this line, and keep a comma at the end.

AM I CORRECT?

SONSiVRi

"Dr.IT"
Yep, its correct. And as a reminder, you are editing original "index.template.php", you should edit your custom theme too if you have.

OnlineFunCorner

Hy SONSiVRi
Thanks
I Already Knows To Modify index.template.php Of My Current Theme Too
Thanks For Mention It
That's Shows You Completely Involved In Helping Others Seriously
I Like Your Guiding Style
Very Good
And
Very Very Very Thanks For Helping Me

SONSiVRi

Quote from: Dr.IT on June 24, 2010, 12:51:22 PM
Hy SONSiVRi
Thanks
I Already Knows To Modify index.template.php Of My Current Theme Too
Thanks For Mention It
That's Shows You Completely Involved In Helping Others Seriously
I Like Your Guiding Style
Very Good
And
Very Very Very Thanks For Helping Me

Its ok man. But, does it helped my guidance? I didn't tell anything, you just got it yourself.

OnlineFunCorner

New Problem???
I Did Not Find Setting For This Mod In ADMIN Panel
And When I Run
http://www.pharmaithorizon.com/dbmodify.php

I Got This Error

Notice: Undefined index: mytab_Custom_URL in /home/**********/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 3859

Notice: Undefined index: mytab_Custom_URL in /home/**********/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 3861

I Am Waiting!!!

SONSiVRi

Quote from: Dr.IT on June 24, 2010, 02:12:28 PM
New Problem???
I Did Not Find Setting For This Mod In ADMIN Panel
And When I Run
http://www.pharmaithorizon.com/dbmodify.php

I Got This Error

Notice: Undefined index: mytab_Custom_URL in /home/**********/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 3859

Notice: Undefined index: mytab_Custom_URL in /home/**********/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 3861

I Am Waiting!!!

In my smf 1.1.9, its located in "admin\features options\basic features" as a textboxes named  "meta description" "meta keywords". I dunno where it should be located on smf 2.x family.

dbmodify.php is just for adding settings entry into database. you can do it by yourself. variable names and parameters are located in dbmodify.php itself. But it seems there is a problem on your setup, you might mixed up something there and subs.php giving error.

OnlineFunCorner

Is It Necessary To Run dbmodify.php?
And
Whats The Reason No Setting Option Visible In My Admin Panel?
I Think Its Related To ManageSettings.php File
Is There Any Error?

Advertisement: