News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

can't install 2.0 not sure why though,any ideas?

Started by cjexotic, March 25, 2008, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjexotic

Why can't I install  smf 2.0 beta ? and I'm kind of lost anyone else have the same problem or any clue why , I'm lost  :-[

I tried the webinstall redownloaded and reuploaded it 6 times now both via ftp and via cpanel on two different hosts.

All I can get is this error message.

This is all I can get by going to mysite/forum/webinstall.php

actually it reads  myurl/forum/webinstall.php?step=1
QuoteSorry, the path must exist and point to the same place this installer was uploaded to.
Click here to try this step again. 

"click here" does nothing as far as a path it just refreshes the page to select a language, set file permissions and agree to the License  :-\

I also tried it with and without using the Simple Machines Community Forum Member Log in option at the top of the page/file

If I install smf2.0beta myself I still get an error, also tried that via ftp and the slow headache way of file by file via cpanel, here's all I can get.

This is what I get when I got to  myurl/install.php

QuoteInternal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, email edited out and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Seeing that message I looked and everything from the  smf_2-0-beta3p_install zip uploaded .  :-\

Both hosts I tried have had (one still has) smf 1.1.4 running
Tried a fresh 1.1.4 install just to make sure I wasn't doing something minor and dumb on the install but I got 1.1.4 to install so I'm still lost

Oldiesmann

The "path must exist" error occurs after you've entered FTP info - make sure that the path you've entered is correct (it should be the path to the same directory that the webinstall file is in).

It's hard to say what could be causing the "Internal Server Error" message. Check your server error log and see if there's any more information there.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

cjexotic

Quotepath must exist

There's where the problem comes in with the webinstall , it's not asking for a path or giveing me an option to put a path in anywhere  :-\ so I haven't entered it.
Figured I needed to somewhere but I'm not getting that option.

I get a login to my smf section then,a bunch of check boxes for languages followed by the liscense agreement .

Oldiesmann

That's definitely odd, because that error shouldn't even be generated unless you've entered FTP information. I will look at it more later on - I have class in about 40 minutes so I need to go get ready.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

cjexotic

I redownloaded the webinstall and reuploaded it again.

This time I got an option to use a path (it picked it,itsself) , still no luck

QuoteWarning: unpack() [function.unpack]: Type H: not enough input, need 1, have 0 in /home/public_html/beardeds/forum/webinstall.php on line 1051

The installer was unable to download the archive (http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php/smf_2-0-beta3p_install.tar.gz) from the server. Please try using the regular installer package instead.

Click here to try this step again.

Oldiesmann

As stated in the message, the webinstall file wasn't able to download the package for some reason. The "unpack()" warning message is related.

Make sure the directory that webinstall is located in is chmodded properly (777 on most hosts, although if you've got phpSuExec you  may  need to make it 755 or 644).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

cjexotic

I had everything chmod'd to 755

Change it to 777 and I get
QuoteInternal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, email removed and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

No way this will install for me from scratch and no clue why still  :(

Just to be sure it's not a host issue , I installed a fresh copy of 1.1.4 and upgraded it to SMF 2.0 Beta 3  - That worked fine other then GenericMenu.template.php haveing to be reuploaded on it's own.

after that I tried one more time to install 2.0  and got the same results I did before  :-\

I've got the upgraded version working to test it out  :) so thats fine just can't belive it's so much trouble to install on it's own

QuoteIt's hard to say what could be causing the "Internal Server Error" message. Check your server error log and see if there's any more information there.
Neither error log on either of my hosts lists any error from trying to do the install

Rumbaar

Have you tried to download the complete package.  Unzip locally and then via FTP client upload all the files to your host.  Then, making sure to have created a mySQL db and assign a user account to that db, run install.php and follow the instructions.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: