News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Example of new default theme please

Started by testingtimes, April 02, 2008, 03:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

testingtimes

Could anyone please provide a link so I can see what the default theme or themes looks like for 2.0 please.

Is there only 1 theme available in the download?

I have searched the theme gallery and found a couple of ones that state 2.0.

Thanks

Dannii

It comes with the same themes as 1.1 with only superficial changes.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

testingtimes

The forums seem to indicate there is only one official default theme supplied that works. There are two or 3 in the theme gallery with 2.0 against them but all are black or grey which my client will not have.

I have never used SMF before so dont know what comes with 1.0, seen the gallery for 1.0 but as only a few themes are stated to work with 2.0 I just want to view the new theme or default theme/themes without going to the trouble of a server set up.

I need to use 2.0 but am a bit worried from a feeling I get having looked over the forums, that it has a look of FrontPage 98 about it (large,chunky and square) and again my client will not be happy with this.

Can anyone please point me to a link with a current standard 2.0 theme running and say whether they have/had the option to install any other theme that comes with the download.

Sorry if I am missing something or have misunderstood what I have read in the forum so far about themes.

Thank you

Dannii

If you install them with SMF 1.1 and then upgrade to 2.0, they other themes will be upgraded too... however I'm not sure how well that works.

Anyways, here's my installation of 2.0.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

testingtimes

Thank you Dannii.

This is not meant with any disrespect to yourself , as you are using a standard theme, but I think that theme is very drab and not pleasing to the eye at all. Yes it is a bit square-ish but if it was brighter in the blues and not surrounded by dull greys, I might be able to get my client to accept it.
I note other requests for a better default theme have been played down by support as they want to get the code right first. This is quite understandable but if you do not like the appeal of a house from outside - you very rarely buy it - whatever is on the inside.

I am designing a new site which they want to be more bright and cheerful then their last one and I cannot force that default theme on them.

I need V2 because they want post moderation.

Does anyone else have other versions working in a more cheerful blue or green please - perhaps if they have upgraded successfully I could progress that way.

Dannii

Colour changes are very easy to do, and there's a topic (can't remember the link) that has a number of premade colour schemes already.

Nigel

Hi TestingTimes,

It's quite easy to make a few minor tweaks to the main forum stylesheet – changing a few background or heading colours can make a huge difference. It might be an answer until more themes become available, and you might like to check out this basic styles tutorial and see what you think.

Nigel

testingtimes

Thank you both for that, the tutorial has given me ideas.

Is there a wholesale colour change scheme somewhere for 2.0 then please?

Can I ask that the very top header in the default theme above seems to have a dirty blue gradient graphic and underneath the headings have a light dull blue gradient graphic. Can I just change the css to a solid colour, or make another graphic the same size as the ones already there, name them the same and get a new effect. Is this a css setting from the same style sheet in the tutorial, or something else and if so could you please tell me where it lurks.

Thanks

Dannii

Here are some colour variations, they should work for any version as they only have images and CSS: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=64128.0

Nigel

Hi,

I'm learning all this too. I made a copy of the default theme as instructed then applied lots of trial and error to it to discover what does what.

As you said, you can create alternative graphics to replace the existing ones (they're all in the 'images' folder). Or if you want to keep the originals too you can use a different filename and change that element's CSS to reflect the new name.

If instead you only want the solid background colour, simply remove the image url from that element's CSS and it'll fall back to it's background colour. If you specify both, the image takes priority. So:

background: url(images/catbg.jpg) #88A6C0 repeat-x;

Displays 'images/catbg.jpg' and repeats it in the horizontal (x) direction, with a fallback to the colour set by the code '#88A6C0', whereas:

background: #88A6C0 

just uses the colour. As I said... trial and error.

All this can be found in the main stylesheet 'style.css'.

Hope this helps,
Nigel

testingtimes

Thank you both again, I was just about ready to jump ship to MyBB, even though I am going to pay for chartered mebership here if I go ahead, when all your kind help has made me think I could work on V2 appearance and what a helpful place this forum is.

Much appreciated.

Regards
Phil

Nigel

MultiformeIngegno

Mmmh.. is there any possibility to have the theme of this site released as default theme for 2.0 final? O:)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Dannii

It's doubtful. And I'm not sure it would be desirable either.

MultiformeIngegno

Quote from: Dannii on May 12, 2008, 11:17:34 AM
It's doubtful. And I'm not sure it would be desirable either.
Mmmh... why not? I really like it! :)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

SgtMic

Quote from: testingtimes on April 02, 2008, 10:59:42 AM
Thank you both again, I was just about ready to jump ship to MyBB, even though I am going to pay for chartered mebership here if I go ahead, when all your kind help has made me think I could work on V2 appearance and what a helpful place this forum is.

Much appreciated.

Regards
Phil

You really can't go wrong with using SMF. It's fairly easy to work with themes, mods and the help you get here from the community is second to none. And it's free. :)
There is nothing more deadly than a US Marine and his rifle.
A close second is a US Marine and his K-BAR.
2/5 Fox Co.  (BlackHearts)
FAST Co. 5th Plt. (FIDO)

karlbenson

I've read in other topic Smf team members stating that SMF has always had a unique theme.  So I probably expect this one to go unreleased. Dannii is probably referring to the 'bad' round corners.

SMF has recently asked about themes http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=238885.0

For the moment, the priority has to be to get the default/core semantic theme done FIRST, before designing other themes.
Its like building a house. You don't start to put up wallpaper, carpets, until your done rebuilding it.

Dannii

The corners are bad indeed. But more than that... it just wouldn't be very applicable. It's a design for a full site and not just a forum. I suppose though that the forum menu could be moved to the top...

Advertisement: