News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

1 server, multiple boards -- share configurations?

Started by luvit, April 03, 2008, 10:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvit

i'm planning to have multiple forums on 1 server.
what config files can they share? especially time consuming configs which preset new user default preferences... if i change these settings on one board can it auto- update the other boards or can I copy a config file between the boards?

!Hachi!

its not good thing to mix up two different forums.you will use two dbs totally different so i will recommend don't mix things in forum thing might get too complicated.
Happy Ramadan

SleePy

The only different files you will need is an index.php and a Settings.php
The index.php is used to setup things and the Settings.php contains the database and paths.
Everything else can link to basically a single area.

The down fail is if you install a mod that needs to edit the index.php... You have to do a lot of work  :(
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

luvit

Quote from: SleePy on April 03, 2008, 11:40:54 PM
The only different files you will need is an index.php and a Settings.php
The index.php is used to setup things and the Settings.php contains the database and paths.
Everything else can link to basically a single area.

The down fail is if you install a mod that needs to edit the index.php... You have to do a lot of work  :(

yeah! for clarity, i want my boards to be identical except for headers, logos, user base, and posts.
so if i make a smart change for default settings or add karma at a later date, i can do it once

something tells me it won't work well... like if i want to force a setting to all existing users would it expect to change a DB?? or in my case, need to change several DBs?

SleePy

If you are using the same database for all of them then it would work.
If you are using multiple databases you would need to change each one separately
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Advertisement: