News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Fresh Install of Public Beta 3 & upgrade database

Started by Rafferty, April 04, 2008, 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafferty

Is it possible to do a fresh public beta install and then upgrade an older (1.1.4) dbase rather than upgrade the old forum with its errors collected over the years.
Don't Follow me I got No Idea what I'm Doing

rsw686

When you upgrade to SMF 2.0 you replace all your forum files with the SMF 2.0 files. The upgrade script is only making database changes. So yes you will have a clean set of SMF files. Keep in mind that most of your mods / themes won't work unless they have been modified for SMF 2.0.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

SleePy

Rafferty,

You can, but you will have to manually change your settings.php (Because as soon as its performed via the admin page things will go sour that way you can put it into maintenance mode 2 at the same time).
You will then need to upload the upgrade script and sql files to complete the upgrade.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

rsw686

SleePy,

I checked the SMF 2 upgrade and install packages and they are identical, except for one has the upgrade scripts and the other has the install script. So just using the upgrade package will give him a completely fresh SMF 2 install.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

SleePy

Yes, but from how I read the post, he was wanting to know about using a 1.1.4 database on 2.0.

The Large upgrade is the same as the install with the exception of the install and upgrade files respectively
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Advertisement: