News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Request: Thread location link at bottom of page

Started by Mindgame, April 05, 2008, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindgame

Hello everyone.

I would like to make a request for change in the default theme of SMF. The reason is that my favorite forum uses the default theme for SMF 1 which lacks this feature. And when I asked if they could add it, they noted that they would not want to mess with the default layout and suggested I might try my luck here. So here goes.

What I am talking about is the 'location' address. (the 'Simple Machines Community Forum > SMF Development > Feature Requests ' thingy) It is both at the top and bottom of forum listing and thread listing. However once the reader is inside the thread already, there is no such link at the bottom of the page - only at the top.

Would this change make sense for everyone? Well I do believe it would be a sensible change. Consistency aside, the lack of these links at the bottom of the page forces the user to always scroll to the top of the page for returning to either the thread listing or to a higher up forum. One might argue that the user can always just click 'Back', but that does not work for multi-page threads and it does not allow jumping even further up the chain of forums, once you know you have finished the last post on the particular sub-forum. This means a considerable amount of scrolling and clicking for an active forum visitor on an active forum.

Thank you for considering this proposal and all the best to you.

Mindgamer from hxxp:www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/ [nonactive]

perplexed

are you using 1.1.4 because I'm looking at mine now and the link is top and bottom when you are inside a thread

edited:  also I've been waiting for 8 mins for your forum link to load

Mindgame

Yes, the page reports at the bottom: Powered by SMF 1.1.4

Yeah wierdest thing the loading - I think the server had a small hump 10 minutes ago or so.. it is usually very fast. Anyways when I click on the link I provided the page is opened at once now.

perplexed

Quote from: Mindgame on April 05, 2008, 10:02:06 AM

What I am talking about is the 'location' address. (the 'Simple Machines Community Forum > SMF Development > Feature Requests ' thingy) It is both at the top and bottom of forum listing and thread listing. However once the reader is inside the thread already, there is no such link at the bottom of the page - only at the top.

No, I meant this ^^^ is already visible inside threads, you can even see it in this very thread.

I had to cancel the loading of your site as thats over 15mins and it hasnt loaded, you should get that checked out

Mindgame

Thank you for the reply.

I understand that this forum is version 2.0? I assumed that there are 2 branches of development - one for version 1 (including 1.1.4 that we have installed) and version 2, which this site has installed. Yes, I have noticed that version 2.0 has the links at the bottom of the thread, which is great. I modify the request then to have a similar feature in SMF version 1 branch. If I have misunderstood and there is in fact only 1 development branch, then I am sorry for my mistake and will ask if our mods would like to consider upgrading to SMF 2.0

Also concerning the loading - the hickup was very short. It has been working for me the entire time. If it just keeps loading for 15 minutes perhaps one should just click reload to start again?

perplexed

Quote from: quiteperplexed on April 05, 2008, 10:07:51 AM
are you using 1.1.4 because I'm looking at mine now and the link is top and bottom when you are inside a thread

edited:  also I've been waiting for 8 mins for your forum link to load

Are you using the default theme on your 1.1.4 installation because as I said above ^^ it works on mine :)

Eliana Tamerin

Admin CP > Themes and Layout > Themes and Settings > (your theme) > Check "Enable Inline Links" and save.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Mindgame

Advertisement: