Will SMF and Joomla live happily ever after, together?

Started by Murgen, April 07, 2008, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

I started testing SMF + TP which looks more then sufficient (and handy) then any cms + SMF. When my test-sites develop well I will switch 2 communities to SMF+TP.

kai920

I have literally been torn between Joomla and SMF since the very day I began to combine the two.

As recently as a few days ago I was determined to use J!/MyBlog/J!Tags/CB... now, after hopping back onto the TP/SMF forums I am torn once again. :(

Since my site has been rather quiet lately, I think it's the perfect time to decide once and for all which direction to go in. (I don't feel that moving to Mambo is a valid option. will reconsider moving to Mambo...)

So, my questions are:

1) If one were to convert (some) Joomla content items to SMF as posts, how would one go about it? Is there a script available somewhere that can do this... is it as simple as converting the HTML tags to BBcode?

2) Has anyone here completely ditch Joomla (or Mambo) and just stuck with SMF, perhaps with Tinyportal? If so, can you briefly describe your thought process and the conversion experience.

3) How did you handle existing links indexed by search engines? Or did you just say "to h#ll with it" and throw up a custom 404 page?

steighan

I am writing such a script for a mate of mine, if you dont mind waiting a week or so.

If in a hurry, there is CreatePost function listed here somewhere (which I am using as the core of my conversion routine)

The key thing you have to work out, is not the transfer of the content item to the posts, but rather the MAMBOT processing that takes place ..if you use {mambot} for example.

I am just giving it some thought, (as a result of writing this post) and I will approach it two ways.

1. just identify, flag and maybe remove. Some of her content items had some akoComment thing which istnt needed.

2.Modify a mod, like the BBCode mod which does processing of the post text prior to display, and use that to scan for and replace the {mambot} tags..
"Frequently wrong, but never in doubt"

kai920

Hmm good point, hadn't thought of the mambots at all.  Let me know how you get on with your script, I am not in a hurry and will take the free time I have to experiment with Tinyportal -- and perhaps even Mambo.

Murgen

Quote from: kai920 on May 15, 2008, 08:36:52 PM
So, my questions are:

2) Has anyone here completely ditch Joomla (or Mambo) and just stuck with SMF, perhaps with Tinyportal? If so, can you briefly describe your thought process and the conversion experience.

3) How did you handle existing links indexed by search engines? Or did you just say "to h#ll with it" and throw up a custom 404 page?

Yes, I ditched Joomla! and re-integrated my SMF-forum into Tiny Portal.

First I made a backup from the SMF records from my operational database (only data, not the structure) and installed a fresh SMF and TP 0.98 in a new directory and a new database (so that the 'old' joomla/smf site kept running for the users). Tested the new site and then restored the SMF backup into the test site.

This worked like a charm except that you will have to check/set manually all path-settings introduced by the sql-data from the restor to the new path in the SMF adminpanel (many had to be changed and updated).

Delete old templates and add new TP-templates and make sure you set all users to a new template.

That was about it. One piece of good advice: test, try, test, try, test, try before you decide to make it operational.

The tricky part is the restore ... I backupped and restored all SMF-records. I'm sure that several can be skipped in the backup-proces because they do not refer to users, posts and pm's.

3. I use a little html forward script in the root to directs users to the directory where the site is actually installed. No search-engine probs since I cover that with robot.txt. Basically you can keep the old site running, testdrive your new site and at point x swap everything to the new site by updating the forward script.

Did I mentioned the fact that some thorough testing of the database switch is advised before you go live? TP is easy but you need to get used to it. I screwed up twice during the development phase and was glad I was only playing with a test-site :D

steighan

Quote from: Murgen on May 16, 2008, 06:23:54 AM
Quote from: kai920 on May 15, 2008, 08:36:52 PM
So, my questions are:

Yes, I ditched Joomla! and re-integrated my SMF-forum into Tiny Portal.

First I made a backup from the SMF records from my operational database (only data, not the structure) and installed a fresh SMF and TP 0.98 in a new directory and a new database (so that the 'old' joomla/smf site kept running for the users). Tested the new site and then restored the SMF backup into the test site.

This worked like a charm except that you will have to check/set manually all path-settings introduced by the sql-data from the restor to the new path in the SMF adminpanel (many had to be changed and updated).

Delete old templates and add new TP-templates and make sure you set all users to a new template.

That was about it. One piece of good advice: test, try, test, try, test, try before you decide to make it operational.

The tricky part is the restore ... I backupped and restored all SMF-records. I'm sure that several can be skipped in the backup-proces because they do not refer to users, posts and pm's.

3. I use a little html forward script in the root to directs users to the directory where the site is actually installed. No search-engine probs since I cover that with robot.txt.

Basically you can keep the old site running, testdrive your new site and at point x swap everything to the new site by updating the forward script.

Did I mentioned the fact that some thorough testing of the database switch is advised before you go live? TP is easy but you need to get used to it. I screwed up twice during the development phase and was glad I was only playing with a test-site :D

It might not matter for your site, but Robots.txt or "html forward script" does NOT address "search engine issues with existing links"

to properly address same, you need an HTACCESS or PHP redirect which issues a 301 Moved Permanently header, then redericts to the new location.

excerpt:
10.3.2 301 Moved Permanently

The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned URIs. Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically re-link references to the Request-URI to one or more of the new references returned by the server, where possible. This response is cacheable unless indicated otherwise.

The new permanent URI SHOULD be given by the Location field in the response. Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity of the response SHOULD contain a short hypertext note with a hyperlink to the new URI(s).

failure to do this may cause your site to appear to be delivering duplicate content which may cause penalties at the SEO and indexing level.

kai920

Quote from: Murgen on May 16, 2008, 06:23:54 AM

Can you elaborate on how you would back up only the data, and not the db structure?

Murgen

Glad to.

I installed in another directory a fresh SMF and TP in a new mysql database. So, the structure is there. When you backup the old SMF-records with the structure the restore operation in phpmyadmin will give an error since the structure is already there. So, I backed up the content. In phpadmin you can tailormake your backup.

I'm Dutch, if my answers do not answer your question then ask again, I will do my best to give you the info you need. :)

kai920

Hi Murgen,

Thanks for your help :)

What is the advantage in backing up only the data or structure (one or the other, but not both)?  I have only been using phpmyadmin for a few years and never even noticed those check boxes in the export panel!

Murgen

The thing is ... TP is something you ought to test with. That is why I installed a complete new SMF and database. Far away from the operational site.

But, nothing better to test with then a copy of the operational database. So I backupped the original database and tried to restore it into the development-database and it rejected the restore since the structure (records) were already in place.

Maybe I did something wrong, the SMF instructions in the FAQ are not 100% specific but this worked for me.

kai920

I'm testing TP 1.0.5 b1 on another server now. Once I'm happy with TP's setup, can I just restore the posts? Is that what backing up only the data will do?

kai920

Quote from: steighan on May 16, 2008, 04:32:46 AM
I am writing such a script for a mate of mine, if you dont mind waiting a week or so.

If in a hurry, there is CreatePost function listed here somewhere (which I am using as the core of my conversion routine)

The createPost() function does look rather interesting. I may look into converting some Joomla content items (that have to do with news) into my new News board inside SMF.

How's that script coming along for you?

steighan

well ..it looks like I should be able to spend some time and finish this weekend.

first pass identified some oversights -
the initial published state of the article : - what does that mean for the post that gets created from it?
I'm thinking that when conversion occurs, there should be TWO boards, Published and Unpublished, and then all I have to do is to move the topic from one to the other...

another frame of thought has me introducing some meta data to indicate the state and having the query determine which is which when extracting to display...

obviously, that impacts whether the post topic is locked or not.

I have to put the work effort in on a weekend instead of the nights home from work, as I spent a couple hair pulling minutes debugging something that was caused by not having "GLOBAL $context" something I would have caught if awake :(/lol

I'll think up some possible scenarios and PM you for some direction if its ok with you. :D

erlend_sh

Quote from: Murgen on April 07, 2008, 02:25:43 AM(...)
1. JFusion with a proper dual login and cookie handling for SMF (mind you, right now I can't even login into the JFusion portal ... just the phpBB3 forums) and Joomla!
(...)
If you'd like JFusion to improve, you could always stop by the site and make a donation, as the developer is hoping to be able to work pretty much full time on it it seems...

steighan

^^ is it just me, or does this barely relevant post seem much like SPAM (tm)???

kai920

Quote from: steighan on May 21, 2008, 04:25:16 PM
I'm thinking that when conversion occurs, there should be TWO boards, Published and Unpublished, and then all I have to do is to move the topic from one to the other...
Sounds like a sensible idea.

QuoteI'll think up some possible scenarios and PM you for some direction if its ok with you. :D
Yep feel free to do so! Would be glad to assist in any way I can. :)

erlend_sh

Quote from: steighan on May 21, 2008, 06:45:07 PM
^^ is it just me, or does this barely relevant post seem much like SPAM (tm)???
I wouldn't call it spam, but I do openly admit (not that it should originally seem like I've been trying to hide it...) that I'm trying to promote the fact that JFusion needs donations in order to develop more quickly. I am by no means an active part of the development of JFusion; merely a spectator who would love to see such functionality be realised. Just figured it was worthwhile to make the SMF community aware.

Sorry about the not-so-helpful post though :)

baijianpeng

We all know that Joomla! is Open Source soft, and SMF is free soft. Why can't they work together to bring us more fun and functionlity?

So I always support the idea of a bridge between Joomla! and SMF.

Now, Toby at http://www.gmitc.biz had developed a bridge named J2SMF for Joomla! 1.5.x and SMF 1.1.x. I had tested it, it can wrap SMF inside Joomla! 1.5.2 and works well except that can't offer dual login.

So I think if someone help him and make further development on J2SMF, maybe we can get a perfect bridge which can do user synchronization properly.

Thanks to anyone who will help him. Good luck!
JoomlaGate: The way to the World of Joomla!

http://www.joomlagate.com

Murgen

Sorry for not being too communicative in this post. The reason is fair and square, I'm not an expert in this stuff. Period! But I do know that I like the SMF and TP community a lot more then the Joomla! community, no pun intended.

JFusion send out e-mails for financial support as well. But it has every sign SMF has a low priority and the Joomla! - SMF situation has been the way it is since July 2007 (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=184559.0) and 1.13 where Joomla! started salting passwords.

Anyway ... I'm happy now.

erlend_sh

Quote from: baijianpeng on May 24, 2008, 02:37:37 AM(...)Now, Toby at http://www.gmitc.biz had developed a bridge named J2SMF for Joomla! 1.5.x and SMF 1.1.x. I had tested it, it can wrap SMF inside Joomla! 1.5.2 and works well except that can't offer dual login.

So I think if someone help him and make further development on J2SMF, maybe we can get a perfect bridge which can do user synchronization properly.
Funny you should say that. The maker of JFusion got in touch with Toby, maker of J2SMF, and he didn't have time to work on J2SMF anymore. Therefore, JFusion will be taking over the development of this bridge with full permissions given. Marius has also told me that SMF 2.0 support will be given once the software is in RC/Stable, seeing as it would be a waste to develop a bridge for it while the code is still changing.

Advertisement: