Will SMF and Joomla live happily ever after, together?

Started by Murgen, April 07, 2008, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeP

Quote from: ilwoody on June 17, 2008, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: JoeP on June 13, 2008, 08:10:15 AM
BTW, it could be EXTREMELY helpful if the smf_api.php code were released under gpl as originally expected!
My implementation of an integrated J2SMF and JFusion, supporting dual login, relies on use of smf_api.php (modified a bit) which, under current conditions, is not distributable as I understand it.
joe

can you just ask for your user to get and install it for you ? then you would just need to provide an smf modification package to patch it. I may be wrong, but what license would you break in this scenario ?

Wouldn't I still have a problem making calls to the specific functions within the api?  And don't I still have the problem when I require the api code from within my code?
joe

ilwoody

Quote from: JoeP on June 17, 2008, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: ilwoody on June 17, 2008, 11:40:55 AM
BTW, it could be EXTREMELY helpful if the smf_api.php code were released under gpl as originally expected!
My implementation of an integrated J2SMF and JFusion, supporting dual login, relies on use of smf_api.php (modified a bit) which, under current conditions, is not distributable as I understand it.
joe

can you just ask for your user to get and install it for you ? then you would just need to provide an smf modification package to patch it. I may be wrong, but what license would you break in this scenario ?

Wouldn't I still have a problem making calls to the specific functions within the api?  And don't I still have the problem when I require the api code from within my code?
joe

yes sorry, I was referencing just about distributing the patched smf_api itself not the whole bridge problem.

Simple Joomla! 1.5.x / SMF 2.x bridge - ver 1.0.14 alpha 26/03/2009
http://code.google.com/p/sjsb/
--
Support: http://groups.google.com/group/sjsb
Bugs:  http://code.google.com/p/sjsb/issues/list
Live: http://www.youpokeme.com/sjsb/

JoeP

Quote from: Motoko-chan on June 13, 2008, 10:58:42 AM

It was never intended as GPL licensed. I believe the intent was a much less restrictive license like the BSD or MIT.
Ok, so when is this going to happen?
It's been almost 4 years since this tool was released and still it's only under the smf license.
joe

JoeP

Quote from: Orstio on June 14, 2008, 09:50:52 AM
Right, except as we all know, GPL does not allow connection to proprietary software, and also does not allow for dual licensing.

Permissive licenses give the freedom to the developer, not to the software, so if we went that route, you and other developers would be a lot happier.

Orstio,
At the risk of being a pest, let me ask again...
When will smf_api.php be released under a "permissive" license?
Thanks,
joe

Orstio

I can't say 100%, but probably around the time of the release of SMF 2.0.

If you want permission to redistribute that file now, just contact info at simplemachines.org.  Redistribution of the smf_api itself shouldn't be a problem, but if you are copying other functions out of the SMF core to accomplish your integration, we might want some further details.

JoeP

Quote from: Orstio on June 26, 2008, 01:38:55 PM
I can't say 100%, but probably around the time of the release of SMF 2.0.

If you want permission to redistribute that file now, just contact info at simplemachines.org.  Redistribution of the smf_api itself shouldn't be a problem, but if you are copying other functions out of the SMF core to accomplish your integration, we might want some further details.
Thanks for the response!  Truly appreciated.
All I want to do is redistribute a slightly modified version of smf_api.php.  The "latest" version has a little problem in the cookie setting routine.  I'd have to go back and look to see exactly which line(s) of code need to be changed, but it's basically changing an index test from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1...
Man... sure is a good thing I've forgotten what it was like to remember things  ::)
joe

erlend_sh

I'm sorry if you consider this reviving a dead thread, but seeing as the topic of JFusion popped up more than just once in here, I figured it'd be worth mentioning that JFusion is now looking for additional developers, one of which will hopefully be an adept SMF developer.

Ever since Marius was permitted to continue the development of the J2SMF bridge, there's been on-going work to fit this in with the JFusion framework, and it can now be tested with the 1.0.7 alpha-release.

Murgen

JFusion looks promising. But I moved my 2 community-sites to TP and very happy. Joomla! 1.5x is subject to to many many patches (almost monthly now which is a pain if you run many 3rd party bots, mods and components.

Tiny Portal is simpler and because of that much more robust.  ;)

kai920

Quote from: steighan on May 16, 2008, 04:32:46 AM
If in a hurry, there is CreatePost function listed here somewhere (which I am using as the core of my conversion routine)

The key thing you have to work out, is not the transfer of the content item to the posts, but rather the MAMBOT processing that takes place ..if you use {mambot} for example.

I am just giving it some thought, (as a result of writing this post) and I will approach it two ways.

1. just identify, flag and maybe remove. Some of her content items had some akoComment thing which istnt needed.

2.Modify a mod, like the BBCode mod which does processing of the post text prior to display, and use that to scan for and replace the {mambot} tags..

I've finally decided to try my hand at writing a PHP script to convert my 400 or so content items to SMF. So far I've gotten the created post date and number of views to work. I only ever had 5 posters who posted content on Joomla so the author shouldn't be an issue.

For the {mambots} I may just do a search and replace in the .sql dump instead of trying regex or anything like that...

I haven't figured out how to do the sorting of time though, Arantor said that messages are sorted by ID so I wouldn't be able to 'insert' posts.

Wonder what else I need to address...

Kill Em All

You can always use jFusion, as far as I'm aware that has no issues. Keep in mind SMF does not support jFusion though. To be honest, unless SMF or Joomla change the licensing, I don't see it.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: