How to switch hosts? - Help Needed

Started by saboo, April 07, 2008, 07:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saboo

Hello,

I would like to know how can we switch our entire forum from one web hosting provider to another? Let's say that I have a SMF forum with 5000+ members and it's really popular, but the web hosting service I am using is going to shutdown. My question is ... How can I tranfer my entire forum from one webhosting service to another? I don't want to lose any of my members, posts, and info. Please help and guide me step-by-step

babylon

simple make a backup of your database and all your files.
then upload that to your new host and import the tables into your new host database,yes its that easy.

babjusi

Quote from: saboo on April 07, 2008, 07:48:04 PM
Hello,

I would like to know how can we switch our entire forum from one web hosting provider to another? Let's say that I have a SMF forum with 5000+ members and it's really popular, but the web hosting service I am using is going to shutdown. My question is ... How can I tranfer my entire forum from one webhosting service to another? I don't want to lose any of my members, posts, and info. Please help and guide me step-by-step

Make a thorough backup of your database. Create a mysql database and user to the new host, don''t forget to grant the user full access and permissions to the database. Then upload all the forum files from the old server space to your pc and re-upload them to the new server space of your new host. After you do this, you can import the database from the old host to the new host. Open the settings.php file with a good php editor program and enter the new db info in there. As last but not least, run the repair_settings.php file and click on all the blue recommended values to update all the paths, urls and the other settings and when you are done, delete it. Like this, all mods and custom themes that you have will be preserved intact

Or, you can simply install a new smf at the new host and then import the database and do the thing with the repair_settings.php. Only thing, you will loose all mods and custom themes that you had.

saboo

How do you import the database and how do you make a backup of your database? Please don't mind, but I am doing this for the first time in my life.

babjusi

Quote from: saboo on April 07, 2008, 08:13:28 PM
How do you import the database and how do you make a backup of your database? Please don't mind, but I am doing this for the first time in my life.

Have a look here

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=184356.0

SlammedDime

Keep in mind that you'll have to login in to the control panel of whatever registrar you use for your domain and change the nameservers too (I would do this before you even move the forum, and wait until the changes propagate the internet DNS servers (no more than 24 hours usually)).

Here's what I would do (after you have purchased new hosting and know the new nameservers:
Create backups of Files and database FIRST, so the changes you make below will not show up once you move
Remove posting rights from all groups (so people can at least read your board)
Disable new registrations
Login to your registrar and update the nameservers.
Login via FTP to your new host and upload your backed up files. (new host should give you temporary login ip addresses until the name servers propagate so you can access your new webspace and ftp space)
Login to your new hosts database manager and upload your database.
Use Repair_settings.php to adjust all paths and database settings (Just about everything will have changed, and its easiest to use that tool to get started)

Now its simple.  If User A visits your site through the old DNS server entry, they won't be allowed to post.  If User B on the other side of the country gets your new site because his DNS server has updated, he will be able to post.

This prevents posts or registrations from being lost in your transition.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

babjusi

And try to ask your new host if they would perform the move for you. Plenty of hosts do that for no extra charge

DocPixel

For what it's worth, I just got done doing this, and learned a LOT. And got bailed out here, too.  ;)

I switched my whole forum from Godaddy to Dreamhost. I found these steps to be very very helpful, because I needed very simple instructions too.

All I can say is, take your time and read them carefully.

http://simpleboards.org/forums/SMF/

Gary

Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

DocPixel

Um, I know...  ;D and for those with some knowledge already, it's probably quite satisfactory.

But, um, I didn't understand a lot of it, so I can sympathize with any newbies who need all the exact steps put down, and extra hand-holding, like me.

babjusi

Quote from: Gazmanafc on April 08, 2008, 10:09:34 PM
How do I move my SMF board to a different host?

We do have our own documentation on how to move to a new host. :P

Which, with all due respect, need some updating. Especially the restoration of the backup part :)

roadrunner33

Use Repair_settings.php to adjust all paths and database settings (Just about everything will have changed, and its easiest to use that tool to get started)

I have followed all steps very carefully and only show a blank page where the forum should be.  I have changed the database name, password and paths in the Settings.php.  Still no forum showing up.

Where do I find the above-mentioned Repair_settings.php? 

roadrunner33

Advertisement: