News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

FTP file permissions - some files are not owned by me

Started by shadow82x, April 09, 2008, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow82x

Iv been looking around for something for a while. Sometimes former mods, themes, and other things cannot be removed from FTP because its not owned by you. This means you cant delete those file(s) or folder(s). I was wondering if anyone knew a program or script that could change the permissions of these files if there is a way. I'm not so sure there is.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

redone

Easiest way is to get a hold of your host assuming your on a shared server.

Rumbaar

You can try the Fix Ownership tool in the Package Manager sticky by [Unknown] or get your host to CHOWN all your files to your correct account details.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

H

The fix ownership tool often works. If that fails then there is nothing you or SMF can do and you'll have to contact your host :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: RedOne on April 09, 2008, 06:13:09 PM
Easiest way is to get a hold of your host assuming your on a shared server.

I have found that the easiest way in my case is actually using the "Cleanup Permissions" -option in package manager to make all files writable. It does not change ownership, but it does allow me to move or delete the files, if they were owned by the server.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Rumbaar

Were you able to fix the ownership issues shadow82x?  You host is also able to at the root level to CHOWN your files to your account.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

shadow82x

Quote from: Rumbaar on April 20, 2008, 08:55:38 PM
Were you able to fix the ownership issues shadow82x?  You host is also able to at the root level to CHOWN your files to your account.
Kind of but not really because I use SFTP. Which is unsupported by SMF. I asked my host to delete them and he did but I'm sure ill do something stupid in the future that will cause files not owned by me. For now its solved. I was just looking for some type of tool but I see most are not supported using SFTP... :)
Colin B

Rumbaar

The Fix Ownership server side tool in the Package Manager sticky by [Unknown] wasn't helpful in fixing your ownership issues?

[ Themes ]

shadow82x

Quote from: Rumbaar on April 20, 2008, 09:42:56 PM
The Fix Ownership server side tool in the Package Manager sticky by [Unknown] wasn't helpful in fixing your ownership issues?
It would be if I used FTP but I use something called SFTP which SMF does not support.

See: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=220362.0
Colin B

Rumbaar

Ah sorry, I hadn't really looked into the inter workings of the tool.  Looks like your only option if this happens again is to get your HOST to perform the same action as CHOWN on your files.

[ Themes ]

shadow82x

Quote from: Rumbaar on April 20, 2008, 09:52:37 PM
Ah sorry, I hadn't really looked into the inter workings of the tool.  Looks like your only option if this happens again is to get your HOST to perform the same action as CHOWN on your files.
Yeah thats a bummer. Luckily my host is my brother and we own a few dedicated servers so its not too hard to fix it. ;)
Colin B

Advertisement: