News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Release date?

Started by BrandonMiller, October 21, 2003, 06:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulpitfire

that's funny Anguz...

let me ask it like this...what has to be completed before it can be released?  you may not know when you'll finish, but you must know what has to be completed before you are willing to release it.

sneedo

Quote from: Owdy on December 16, 2003, 07:35:37 AM
There are screenshots http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=2414

no no no, I'm talking about actual like up to date demos, you can download and they will act as a working board,

http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/

that's what I'm talking about ^

pulpitfire

Quote from: sneedo on December 16, 2003, 08:10:04 AM
There are screenshots http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=2414

no no no, I'm talking about actual like up to date demos, you can download and they will act as a working board,

they do.  it's called charter membership :)

sneedo

I know  I mentioned that in my first post  :P

[Unknown]

Snapshots is the word you're looking for ;).

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Quote from: pege on December 16, 2003, 08:38:03 AM

they do.  it's called charter membership :)

Any ideas how  much PHPBB is charging for their charter membership ?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

noob

they don't, phpBB is a GPL project, so you can download all the verisions free (including the beta verisions)

Jeff Lewis

As will SMF be...the versions that the public DON'T get with phpBB are the ones the Charter members here get...
Co-Founder of SMF

[Unknown]

Quote from: writeto on December 15, 2003, 06:04:08 PM
I think that programming and schedules have to go together.

Well, my point is not that they can't go together.  I sai they don't mix well.  There's a big difference.  It's possible that I could say I'd release it tommorow, and even get it released tommorow, but it would be bad that I did that.

-[Unknown]

noob

i agree with you, but you can even give us a month ?

Shoeb Omar

lol..

As writeo stated earlier, as this is a free project, it is near impossible to even comprehend knowing when it's going to be released. For instance, Unkown may have a rough idea in hs head of how much he thinks he might have left, but as the bugs anf wanted features keep building, that date will always get pushed back.

All the developers work on this in their free time, meaning, any sudden change in one erson's life on the team, drastically affects the development process as a whole.  As I don't know the inner workings of SMF that well, I can only relate to the SP2 project Ilead back over at yabb.

Although at SP2, we have 4 devs, currently only one named Ron is really developing. The others of us may be at school, in exams, having family problems and the like.  This having one developer drastically slows down development, but is unavoidable as all work done by other developers is done in free time.  Therefore, if Ron happened to go on a business trip next week, development could be at a complete stop until either he gets back, or my exams finish, or Brian's school finishes, or gwyden can get back in devving.

Therefore, with a free project, it is not only difficult to even think about a possible release date, but it is near IMPOSSIBLE :)

truecrimson

Of course they could give us a rough preliminary estimated guess, so then everyone could complain when it wasn't done by then due to our feature requests and finding bugs, and stuff.  And I'm sure the devs here would all look forward to having that enormous pressure to complete the project bearing down on them with such force that it turns their bodies into diamonds ;)
Wouldn't you like to be a Llama too?

[Unknown]

Quote from: truecrimson on December 17, 2003, 08:56:41 PM
such force that it turns their bodies into diamonds ;)

Ooh, shiny.  I like diamonds :P.

-[Unknown]

eFishie

Diamonds . . . what's the big deal? They're only CARBON!
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

bostasp

Yeah, and most of you is made of carbon ::)

eFishie

And pop is made with CARBONated water! :)
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Yeehaw

Well, after all the begging/whining/etc and all of these postings, I figure the release will happen when it happens. No hurry - YabbSE works fine for right now.

After all, I'm unemployed at the moment, got nothing better to do than see if:

A. Somebody will eventually hire me.
B. Doom3 will be released.
and/or
C. My search for information on whether my A7V333 rev 1.04 will support the XP Barton core 3000+ cpu will ever be completed without buying the chip itself to test.....

I'm patient...take as much time as you need....nobody needs a WindowsME type of forum, eh?
;)
www.desertaquaria.com/breeze running SMF!
For a non-pc board, go to Desert Whispers at above forum ;)

Jeff Lewis

Co-Founder of SMF

Amacythe

I read all the replies that the development team have made here and wonder... if people would just stay off their backs and let them work, would it get us the release any faster?

Please people... let them work and stop bugging them all the time!

pulpitfire

Quote from: Amacythe on December 18, 2003, 09:52:17 PM
I read all the replies that the development team have made here and wonder... if people would just stay off their backs and let them work, would it get us the release any faster?

Please people... let them work and stop bugging them all the time!

ahh...they can always avoid this thread.  plus, who would be motivated to work on a project that no one wanted to get their hands on?  just be polite and grateful.  one question that could be answered, though, is what has to be done before it can be released?  if they don't know the answer to that one, then it might already be finished :).

Advertisement: