Guests and quickmod2 action

Started by jamesk, April 11, 2008, 05:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesk

Can someone clarify this for me...

While viewing the Who's Online list, I see a guest with "Unknown Action: quickmod2"

I believe it was a spider, but does that mean I have an incorrect permission somewhere where guests can modify posts?
When not signed in (ie a guest), I don't see any links to "Modify" but if a bot was able to do it, then I'm thinking there is some kind of link  ??? 

Is my logic incorrect here?

Oldiesmann

quickmod2 is the action that's called when submitting the "quick moderation" form (this is the thing on the messageindex where you can check one or more topics then select what you want to do with them). In reality, the guest is getting an error or a page asking them to login or register and saying that they can't do what they're attempting to do.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

jamesk

QuoteIn reality, the guest is getting an error or a page asking them to login or register and saying that they can't do what they're attempting to do.

That's what I thought, but....

Quotequickmod2 is the action that's called when submitting the "quick moderation" form (this is the thing on the messageindex where you can check one or more topics then select what you want to do with them).

I guess this is what I don't see...  Where exactly is the "quick moderation" form?  I guess my noob SMF experience is showing...

SleePy

You will see quick moderation if you enabled it in Look and Layout in your profile.
On the MessageIndex (viewing the list of topics) you will have new options to the right to quickly modify the tpic or clicking on the topic name will use ajax to allow you to change the topic name.
On Display (viewing a topic) you will be able to use ajax to edit posts as well as select topics and do more moderation actions on them.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

jamesk

I think I'm a little closer to understanding BUT...

QuoteYou will see quick moderation if you enabled it in Look and Layout in your profile.

Yes, but guests don't have a "Look and Layout" or even a profile for that matter so how can they

Quote...have new options to the right to quickly modify the tpic ...

What I do understand is that they'll get an error if they try to access ?action=quickmod2 but what I don't understand is how a BOT is getting to that in the first place.  Don't bots follow links?  But I don't see any quick modification link when I'm a guest...

Rumbaar

It can be a person, that is trying to access a URL/link they've saved, bookmarked or been sent and aren't logged in at the time.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

karlbenson

After reading this post, I started logging these the other day.

I'm getting about 10 a day from different guests (different ips) for the quickmod2 action.
Even if your a guest without any moderation/quick moderation permission, the form for it is still shown in the source of topics.

Eg
<form action="http://www.youposted.com/index.php ?action=quickmod2;topic=18558.0" method="post" accept-charset="UTF-8" name="quickModForm" id="quickModForm"
(Note I put a space as I don't want spiders following it)

So technically the link is available for bots to read.
However so far, all of the ips, useragents that I've tracked back don't come back to known bots.

jamesk

I think you meant to say "even if you're a guest without any moderation/quick moderation permission, the form for it is still shown in the source of topics."

Ahh... That makes sense now..the link still shows up when viewing source and is followable by guests/bots.

Thanks..

karlbenson

Oops. Fixed.
yes indeed.

The only situation i can see guests following it is if they click the link from in their addressbar/history.
It wouldn't be available to any other people as far as I can see unless they are grabbing all http:// links from the source of a page and following them.

Rob Lightbody

I'm seeing a huge number of these and I don't believe they are innocent, I think they're all bots or worse...

Irisado

As this topic is nine years old and marked as solved, I am locking it.  If this issue remains of concern to you and you'd like to discuss further, please do feel free to start a new topic, but this one is far too old.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: