News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to disable guests to browse the forum ?

Started by SwapsRulez, April 18, 2008, 11:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwapsRulez

Hi there friends,

I have a query. I'm running the SMF 2.0 Beta 3 Public board & i have some problem setting the permissions. i want the following scenario.

* The Guests can see the forums. Means the catagories like announcement, support etc.
* The Guests should not be allowed to browse those catagories. Means suppose if he clicks on the perticular catagory. He should get there a message to register on the forum to see the forum contents.

Thanks in advance. Waiting for the reply.  :)
Project-BB.org : Educational Forum For Engineering, Diploma & Technical Students

The Engineering, Diploma & All technical students lounge for Free Projects, Seminars, Syllabus, Question Papers, College Assignments, Placement Papers, E-Books, Company Information & other technical stuffs.

karlbenson

For 1.x this has been done in the past with the BoardViewers
However I don't believe there is a 2.x version currently available.

So the only other option is
To disable guests browsing entirely.
Admin > Features & Options
Uncheck "Allow guests to browse the forum"

Note, disallowing guests, will also block spiders from indexing your forum. So you won't be indexable by search engines.

SwapsRulez

Quote from: karlbenson on April 18, 2008, 12:45:36 PM

Note, disallowing guests, will also block spiders from indexing your forum. So you won't be indexable by search engines.

Thanks for the help. But still my problem isnt solved. By doing that Guest even if cant see the which are the available forums.

I want the option to disable entering into the perticular forum. But not to hide them completely.
Let me tell you the example. Suppose there are 5 cars. Each car has some persons sitting inside. The guests can see the car, but they are not allowed to enter into the car neither to see who is in the car. Just they can know which car is this ? What type of Car it is ?

Thanks in advance.... Waiting for reply. :(

Project-BB.org : Educational Forum For Engineering, Diploma & Technical Students

The Engineering, Diploma & All technical students lounge for Free Projects, Seminars, Syllabus, Question Papers, College Assignments, Placement Papers, E-Books, Company Information & other technical stuffs.

karlbenson

By default SMF can only be configured so users/guests see forums which have they have permissions to view topics inside.

I understand what you want to do.  For SMF 1.1.x the way it has been done to do what you are after, is with a mod, but it doesn't have a 2.x compatible version yet.

SwapsRulez

Quote from: karlbenson on April 18, 2008, 02:52:51 PM
By default SMF can only be configured so users/guests see forums which have they have permissions to view topics inside.

I understand what you want to do.  For SMF 1.1.x the way it has been done to do what you are after, is with a mod, but it doesn't have a 2.x compatible version yet.

Then is there any way through coding anyone can do it :(

I really needed that thing. i think its in phpbb2, phpbb3, Vbulletin & IPB also. Then why its not there in the simple machines forum which is the best BB system i've ever seen. :D

Please can anyone tell me which code do i need to edit to do that. Also can i request to the team to implement that MOD for 2.SMF 0 Beta 3. Also if i want to do that myself. What should i do ? :(

Please help me team. Thanks in advance.... :)

David_DiSanto

Quote from: SwapsRulez on April 18, 2008, 01:01:20 PM

Thanks for the help. But still my problem isnt solved. By doing that Guest even if cant see the which are the available forums.

I want the option to disable entering into the perticular forum. But not to hide them completely.
Let me tell you the example. Suppose there are 5 cars. Each car has some persons sitting inside. The guests can see the car, but they are not allowed to enter into the car neither to see who is in the car. Just they can know which car is this ? What type of Car it is ?

From what I hear your saying, what you should do is..

Admin>Boards>Modify>Uncheck "GUESTS" in the 'Allowed Groups' for each individual board.

Hope that helped!
Quinn Allman
Celine Dion
Bert McCracken
Jepharee Howard
Dan Whitesides
Edward and Bella
Carlisle and Esme
Emmet and Rose
Alice and Jazz

My Lurrrvessss

SwapsRulez

Quote from: David_DiSanto on April 19, 2008, 06:01:51 AM
Quote from: SwapsRulez on April 18, 2008, 01:01:20 PM

From what I hear your saying, what you should do is..

Admin>Boards>Modify>Uncheck "GUESTS" in the 'Allowed Groups' for each individual board.

Hope that helped!

It hides all the boards. :(
I want them to be view :)

karlbenson

It can't currently be done.
Until the mod is updated to 2.x.

The best place to ask for it to be updated is in the support topic for that mod.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=75888.200
I do however note that some people have already requested it be updated.

Please be patient with mod authors to update their mods, it may take weeks or months to update mods to be 2.x compatible.

jdnyc

Deleting.   I posted from search results and did not realize I was in a 2.x forum.

hw610

Are you looking for the "Frustrate Your Guests" Mod? 
**Thanks for all the help but we have moved to vB.

Rumbaar

This is the issue with running BETA versions of software SwapsRulez, there is a delay in getting all functionality of previous version to that version.  If you are in need of fully functional forums, you might have been best using the current 1.1.x system on your live site.  Which if you had you would be able to do exactly what you want via a number of mods.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: