News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop spiders viewing profiles?

Started by casp3r, May 06, 2008, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casp3r

Version: SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public

I've noticed in the 'Search Engine' logs that some are viewing members profile - How do I stop this?

Many thanks in advance

Michael
Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

Kindred

turn off the guest's ability to view profiles in permissions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

casp3r

Already have done that weeks ago but tonight I noticed that a profile was still being viewed.
Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

karlbenson

Making them private still won't stop spiders attempting to crawl them.

You would need to use a robots.txt to stop them crawling them.
In the base of your domain create a file called robots.txt and paste into it.

User-agent: *
Disallow: /index.php?action=profile

You can also block alot of other sections or individual spiders.  You can take a look at my robots.txt which block different things for different spiders.

casp3r

Many thanks. Added to txt file. Will post back in a few days and let you know how it goes.
Aviation forum & gallery
www.niaviation.co.uk

Kindred

please do note...   if Guest viewing of profiles is OFF, then the spider is NOT viewing the profile...  merely attempting to do so.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: