News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Banned Entire Forum!!!

Started by FMSUser, April 22, 2008, 08:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FMSUser

Hi,

I've managed to ban the entire forum membership, including the admins!!

Where do I need to go in order to reverse the change???

EDIT: It seems the Guest account is banned, too!! I can't even click the Register button without being told I'm banned!

Best regards,
FMSUser.

Dragooon

FMSUser

Hi,

I created a new ban (Members - Ban), filled in the details (Perpetual, Username = Test) and sent it. Now I can't do ANYTHING!

Best regards,
FMSUser.

Dragooon

Please provide more details, what do you see? What do other members see? What is your forum version? Does every user sees the same thing?

FMSUser

Hi,

I just did an in-place re-install and it is working again. I'll detail what I did in a moment.

Best regards,
FMSUser.

FMSUser

OK....

Go to: Members -> Ban List -> Add New Ban
Select the tick-box "Ban on Username"
Enter a valid user (I was banning my test user, a regular user with no special permissions or groups etc)
The ban was set to be forever

It affected the entire forum immediately after I logged out to test the ban. I tried "Test", and it said that Anon was banned. I thought that was odd, so tried again. Same thing. I then tried to log in as Admin (all from the quick log-in box), and it said "Sorry Test, you're banned (etc.) The ban is not set to expire".

Regardless of what I tried to select, it kept telling me "Test" was banned. I closed the browser, cleared the cache and re-tried, and instantly, the same message.

I just re-installed the forum over the top of itself after manually removing the ban entry from the DB table, and it seems to be fine again. I haven't re-tried banning.

Server:

* Win2k Server SP4
* IIS 5.0
* MySQL 5.1
* PHP 5.2.1
* SMF 2.0 Beta 3

Client:

* Vista Ultimate SP1 (x64)
* FF 2.0.0.13

Best regards,
FMSUser.

rsw686

I'm fairly sure the ban on a username affects the IPs associated with that username. Since you did a full ban you prevented yourself from logging in or registering another account. If you were already logged in as admin and were testing the ban with another browser you would've been fine.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

Rumbaar

No, username only bans that username and not the IP associated with that username (or so it should work that way).  That is why you also have the Ban on IP option as well.

But what you did shouldn't have locked out your whole forum, are you sure it wasn't just you? and the cookies were still cached in your browser for your 'test' account.

But it appears you've fixed it all, so it's all good.  Try clearing your cache and logging in again next time.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: