News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Eating bandwidth

Started by kenrank, May 06, 2009, 02:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenrank

Greetings one and all. Thank you first for working through our last issue, the help we received here was outstanding.

We have a new forum, only 3 weeks old. -running 1.1.8- We have 38 members so far, a couple of thousand posts, and one member who is eating band width like crazy! She uses 1/4 of all the bandwidth combined by the rest of the users.

All I can tell you until you lead me where to look is that she uses an animated avatar that is about 100K, all others seem to be 3-5K. She also uses Hughes (DirectWay) and is the only one. Why would one person use a quarter of all the bandwidth used to date? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
ken

青山 素子

Maybe they are not using caching on their end so each page load is a fresh download of everything?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

JBlaze

I would suggest removing the option of uploading avatars and have them be remotely linked to. Or you could kindly ask the user to remotely host her avatar to a site like Photobucket and link back to it.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

kenrank

Thank you both. If neither works, I will stop back to see if there are any other suggestions. After further digging through the raw logs, and after filtering everyone else out, it does seems she is not caching properly.
Ken

Tristan Perry

Quote from: kenrank on May 06, 2009, 08:33:19 AM
Thank you both. If neither works, I will stop back to see if there are any other suggestions. After further digging through the raw logs, and after filtering everyone else out, it does seems she is not caching properly.
Ken
That would seem likely - if it was the large avatar problem, then it'd probably drive up bandwidth usage from all users.

Good luck :)

Advertisement: