News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Tip/Trick] Add access to HTML character entities by using Censored Word feature

Started by Deprecated, August 14, 2008, 12:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

I have a few HTML character entities that I like to use in my posts, but SMF won't allow them because of the HTML filter (a protective feature).

However, the Censored Words substitution evidently occurs after the HTML censoring, so you can insert HTML if you put the words in the censorship section in the admin cpanel.

Here's the ones that I use often, first the code I type, then the HTML, and what it is:

:deg:    °    the degree symbol used for temperatures

--       —    the long or "M" dash, used to separate interjected phrases in sentences

:eacute; é "e" with an acute on top, as used to spell 'saute' correctly

:agrave: à  "a" with a grave on top, as used to spell 'voila' correctly

I expect to add more to my forum as I discover more. Remember to have "Check only whole words" checked OFF or your substitutions won't work unless they are surrounded by spaces.

Even nicer would be if character entities could be added to the permissible HTML codes list. I think I'll go stare at the source and see if I can do that.

Mods: Request moving to Tips & Tricks board!

Rumbaar

Well that isn't really a need for special HTML to post those characters or 'fancy' censor word tricks.

20°, or Long Dash — between these words, or sauté, or voilà :)

I'm sure as long as you have utf8 collation in your db you can paste most of those 'special' characters directly to a post.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Deprecated

Fustrate

Why not put a small line of text right under or above the post box with 20 or 30 commonly used characters? Might actually be useful as a mod... I'm going to make it tonight, cause I feel like I have to at least keep you in my sight in terms of mod output...
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Deprecated

Go for it Yoda! :) I'm hot on your heels with your AJAX Personal Text. I'm working on my own AJAX mod, which I would happily tell you all about but I would regret having to kill you, so perhaps it is better that it should remain a closely guarded secret. ;)

Hey Mr. Support Helper of the Month!!! Dude!!! You and I share the honors this month, and I salute you my friend!!!

Let's have a friendly rivalry and let's us take SMF to new altitudes! :)

Fustrate

I like altitude, plane rides are fun! I even get a kick out of standing in line for security screening... it makes me feel like they consider ME a potential threat, which is totally awesome.

Oh, and if you figure out how to send foreign characters through AJAX and capture them correctly, I'd really appreciate it :D
Steven Hoffman

Deprecated

It's not altitude Yoda, it's attitude. You've been making some pretty damned fine posts here at SMF and some good mods too! If you and I have a friendly rivalry, SMF and SMF forum operators win.  Bring it on!

Let's take SMF to a new level. Your AJAX Personal Text is pretty damned fine! You have my compliments! I'm going to take it apart until I know what you know. ;) And then I'll release my own new AJAX mod.

This AJAX sh*t is almost as sexy as Milla Jojovich! I'm gonna have my own AJAX mod or I'll go down in flames. I'm working on it right now!

Fustrate

You make me blush ;) y tu!

I'm debating with myself whether or not to make the characters insert themselves into the box when clicked, instead of making people copy/paste. I'm going to fool around with it, see what I can do. Still got the rep system to work on tonight, I'm going to try to finish version 1.5 :D
Steven Hoffman

Deprecated

I'm glad it's friendly. Honestly I'm making my mods for my own sites, they're what I need for myself. I've only been releasing them at SMF because I'm paying it forward to show my appreciation for being allowed to use SMF's open source forum software for free. The very least I could do is to return that by sharing my mods. It's only that my need to mod my own forums is so strong that I've written the mods I've written.

The only thing is that the more I mod my SMF the more I get enthused to mod it some more. It is a challenge that gets stronger the more that you try to satisfy it, like an itch that gets worse when you scratch it.

Fustrate

Heh, wait until you want something really hefty that nobody has coded before... even if you just take over a big mod from someone else, it's still quite a ride. The big 3 I have right now (rep, referrals, awards) are taking up a bunch of time since I'm trying to condense code and upgrade them for beta 4, so they can possibly be released alongside the public beta.

And then there are mods like the Gallery and the Arcade, which are just insane. I think I'd go crazy coding one of those...
Steven Hoffman

Deprecated

Nope, I'm not up for taking any mods over from anybody else. I have no interest in that, not now, not ever. I am however aware that the more mods you write the more of your time the support threads take up. That has already become a limiting factor for me, that may attention is drawn away from working on new mods to support the existing ones. In fact I believe I've reached the steep part of the curve.

That Karl! He may get to keep the record for having the most mods, forever. (52) The #2 guy has only half of the record. I know for sure that I'll never match Karl's record. In fact I think I'm nearing my own personal limit already. I'll do a few more and then I think I'll back off and perhaps just toss one out every blue moon or so.

Actually I'm having so much fun coding that I've pretty much decided to return to my consulting business. If I'm going to be doing this stuff I might as well get paid. If that happens I won't have the time to code any more mod packages.

Sabre™

Im at a conflict here.
Youre back to enjoying your talents enough to go and get paid for it, which is AWESOME to hear :D
But then you may not have as much time here  :'(
lol  I know its selfish, but I enjoy your contribution to smf. And like every authors mod I use, I learn a little more :)

Notice how many times I said "I"!!??  lol
Yep....       I know...     lol

Eitherway, congrats on both fronts mate :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Deprecated

I'm not going anywhere for at least a month or more. I have a few more mod packages to release yet.

Advertisement: