News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Hostname lookup failure explanation

Started by Charlie82, April 26, 2008, 02:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie82

What happens when the hostname lookup doesn't resolve?

Maybe the DNS server tries to connect directly to the host for some time instead of translating it inmediatly?

Thanks.

青山 素子

The lookup will timeout eventually. You don't ever connect to the IP you are doing a lookup on, you connect to the DNS servers that the server is configured to use. There are a few possibilities at that point:

• The record exists. Return the result. (Fast)
  • The record doesn't exist. Return after the lookup is done (Fast)
  • The servers upstream don't answer back. Timeout once the wait is over. (Slow)
  • The servers upstream aren't reachable for some reason. Timeout once the wait is over. (Medium to Slow - depends on the DNS configuration)
  • Your direct servers don't answer. Timeout. (Medium, usually)

The first two should be 99% of the situations. You can't do anything about #3 or #4. If the last occurs, your host needs to fix their DNS servers.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Charlie82

Thanks a lot.

The situacion I'm talking about is #3 or #4, cause the reverse lookup can't be done using another server like:
http://www.paulsadowski.com/lookup.asp
http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.htm

Then to give access to that 1% of my forum users I guess the "hostname lookup" feature must be disabled.

Rumbaar

I wasn't aware, that if a users hostname isn't found it would cause the person to not be able to access the forum if that feature is on.  Is that what is happening?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Charlie82

Quote from: Rumbaar on May 12, 2008, 04:45:24 AM
I wasn't aware, that if a users hostname isn't found it would cause the person to not be able to access the forum if that feature is on.  Is that what is happening?

Yes, it was my situation when I had enabled the "hostname lookup" feature.

CG Icon

so,, how does one ,, who cant access his site because of constant time outs,,, change "hostname look up" to "Off" .. which file do I access  to flip the "1" to a "0" ?? or what ever it takes.. 

thanks

CG Icon

Frustrating..... 1.1.2 through 1.1.4  installed fine..could access it just fine after install........ now 1.1.6 and 2.X have this problem.. I install and I cant log in,, I cant even get to the front page,, just a DB error..

Database Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
File: /home/content/X/X/X/X/html/Sources/Security.php
Line: 279

the one time I was able to log into a site before it timed out I went right for the local host look up,,, turned it off,, and it worked like a charm after that.....

Im just frustrated

CG Icon

well  I looked trough the DB and could not find the entry that would allow me to switch the default on lookup.. so... I just went back to an older version of SMF.. installed fine and no constant time outs ..

Just live with it till it gets resolved

Advertisement: