News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Editing Forum Shell & News Banner?

Started by Cheese Head, April 27, 2008, 09:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese Head

Hi y'all, I recently upgraded to SMF Beta 2 and all good, I don't use themes.

1) On old SMF I just modified the forum shell's text directly (like changing Welcome Guest to Welcome fellow Cheese Lover) I think in one of forum/theme/Default files, I forget which. I've searched all the SMF files for key words that I want to change but can't find, is this still possible in SMF 2 and where/which file.

2) On old SMF as Administrator I had news banner at top which appears in upgraded SMF Beta 2, where do I alter or delete this? (I've searched for over 1 hour in the Admin section while logged in as Adminsitrator but cannot find, I must be blind).

Thanks for your help.

Justyne

1) The file you are trying to edit is languages\index.english.php. I think it's called 'welcome_guest'. Before editing anything please make sure you have a backup. Ideally you should create a new theme for this.

2) I am not sure what you are trying to do. To change news items:

admin -> main -> news and newsletters -> news

To remove it:

admin -> configuration -> current theme

The things you are looking for are 'Enable News?' and 'Show news fader on board index'
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Cheese Head

Justyne

Perfect, thanks for support, all my questions answered. Dummy me for not finding the news buttons.

I really want to personalize my forum shell amd thought that changing colors and text directly was the easiest way to go rather than using a canned theme or building my own. Please let me know if I am on the wrong track and if so where I can learn about building my own theme.

Thanks again, John.

Justyne

you can just create a copy of the default theme and edit things in there. That way if anything goes wrong you have the default to fall back to.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Cheese Head

OK, I'll do that, I already have a copy, thanks . . .

Rumbaar

There are a number of $txt[] string changes from 1.1.* to 2.*, I find this site very helpful for future changes and where to find passages of text and what file they are in:
http://huw.org.uk/smfstrings/
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: