News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"Home" landing page... sorry if this is a repost..

Started by palbanes, April 28, 2008, 04:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palbanes

I know that none of the "portal" mods work in this beta of SMF, but I was wondering if there is a simple way to point the "Home" button to a simple HTML description of our group (inside of the forum layout), and have a "Forum" button that points to the forum index.  I simply want a way to integrate a welcome / summary message to our site.  Any ideas?

Kindred

yes... edit the target of "home" in subs.php

$buttons = array(
'home' => array(
'title' => $txt['home'],
'href' => $scripturl,
'show' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
),

instead of $scripturl, enter 'http://your.page.com',
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

palbanes

Quote from: Kindred on April 28, 2008, 04:36:43 PM
yes... edit the target of "home" in subs.php

$buttons = array(
'home' => array(
'title' => $txt['home'],
'href' => $scripturl,
'show' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
),

instead of $scripturl, enter 'http://your.page.com [nofollow]',

Thanks!

I have 2 issues though.

1. My forum is installed to the root of my website, so the forum index.php interferes with the one I want to create.. how can I resolve this?

2. When I reroute the home button, how will users get to the forum?

Kindred

If you have installed the forum into the root, then you are going to have a problem using another script as index.php.

You will have to move the forum to a subdirectory, add YOUR page to the root and access the forum from a link on your page.
(move all forum files into a sub directory and then upload and run repair_settings.php to reset the urls and paths.)

And you could have a button that says "Home Page" and another one that says "forum home"

(instead of changing the existing home array, take a COPY of it, put it in front of the original and target the site homepage as instructed.

You can alter the text of the button $txt['home'] and add a new one (ie add $txt['sitehome']= 'Site Home';) in index.english.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: