News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Theme Contest Voting

Started by sloopz, April 29, 2008, 06:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

Quote from: RunicWarrior on May 03, 2008, 09:02:56 AMTilT how we have looked at this is as panic now owns the rights to the theme it is his work, we had removed it from the contest but when the rights were bought  it was re-added.
Even if he has the rights, it can't in any meaningful sense be called original.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

connor11

Quote from: ALEJO on May 03, 2008, 04:01:41 PM
stealed or not... kello-lt is a great theme ^^
I didn't say it is stolen. He didn't know that theme was copyrighted to share. After he learned, he bought the theme. I just said that if smf says only original works can be voted, they have to keep their promise. Otherwise, this contest is unfair!
Quote from: RunicWarrior on May 03, 2008, 09:02:56 AM
TilT how we have looked at this is as panic now owns the rights to the theme it is his work, we had removed it from the contest but when the rights were bought  it was re-added.

It doesn't matter that he bought the theme because it doesn't mean it is an original work. Please read what you have written at the beginning of the contest. Actually, Gazmanafc has written, but he has written the rules of the contest on be half of the sm. It is not nice that you change the rule for someone. By the way, this is not about Panic, or his work. He can make better works. He is very talentfull.  Everybody knows his nice themes. It is nice for him to buy a theme, and share it for smf people after porting it. You can put that theme in the featured theme list without waiting the contest result because it deserves it. However, I disagree that he has rights to join the contest with that theme. It is not an original work. It doesn't mean he created those images after buying the theme. There are darknight, mystystyle, or someother themes in this category of which the images are not created by the author.
Quote from: Dannii on May 03, 2008, 10:53:27 PM
Quote from: RunicWarrior on May 03, 2008, 09:02:56 AMTilT how we have looked at this is as panic now owns the rights to the theme it is his work, we had removed it from the contest but when the rights were bought  it was re-added.
I am happy that there are some people joining my protest. Thanks,

Crip

Quote from: Dannii on May 03, 2008, 10:53:27 PM

In very Start of contest many Team persons say, themes must be 100% original work -- how can Theme kelo-lt be that?
It's 100% original yes, but Not panic's cuz he say that he got permission? [ Reminder ] .. could other of his Themes be actually his....#?--

..or is he an exception to the rule?
I have become comfortably numb!

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -

TOTM Winner. | Demo Site1on1 Theme Support

forsakenlad

Don't get me wrong but what if I had bought a design, integrated it into SMF and entered into the contest, how would you know if the fact that the design was someone elses didn't come out?

Think of this theme as the joint work of Panic and the DeviantArt guy. There is nothing that says two people can't enter the contest.
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

padexx

Hi!

Time to join the discussion. :)
First of all it it nice to read that so many like the kelo-lt theme and it was a good decission to make it possible that it is availavbe for SMF again. The circumstances and the copyright have been discussed before. Only this again: Copyright has to be respected!

I've never submitted the theme to chase any prizes. It was just coded in time and submitted to the repository. To let the theme participate in the contest wasn't my decission! It was chosen by others. So please don't blame me! No one has done this yet. But I just wanted to make this clear.

The theme is exclusively available for SMF. But yes, it was not created by only one person. I did only the coding and the design has been done by Andrew. In the end I've bought it and obtained full rights for kelo-lt.

That is all I can say. Everything else is out of my sphere of influence.

greetings
Patrick

Crip

No offence panic but, it still isn't "(100%)" original and by rule this theme should have Never been submitted to this contest by whomever !!

No, I'm not blaming you @ all pal ..the blame if any belongs to the one who approved it to be in this contest, to me the rules were clear & should have been followed completely but fact is they weren't.

- Abraham Lincoln -

Eliana Tamerin

Nothing against Panic, and I'm sure he's not taking it personally, but I find myself agreeing to TilT's arguments. If Kelo-LT wasn't an original theme by the definition of original (100% author's creation, instead of just 100% author's implementation), then it should not have been included in the contest.

QuoteYou can put that theme in the featured theme list without waiting the contest result because it deserves it. However, I disagree that he has rights to join the contest with that theme. It is not an original work. It doesn't mean he created those images after buying the theme.

That sums it up nicely for me, instead of going on a long rant. I find Kelo-LT to be a beautiful theme and worthy of being featured. Just not one that should be included in this contest, as per the rules.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Gary

Quote from: *eren on May 04, 2008, 08:03:07 AM
Think of this theme as the joint work of Panic and the DeviantArt guy. There is nothing that says two people can't enter the contest.

This is exactly why the theme returned to the contest. We consider as a joint effort. After all, we did say that joint efforts ARE allowed.

The theme IS original. It just required more than one person to create it, that's all.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Deaks

Quote from: crip on May 04, 2008, 01:41:33 PM
No offence panic but, it still isn't "(100%)" original and by rule this theme should have Never been submitted to this contest by whomever !!

Can you honestly say all your themes where original ... even though most of yours are just variations of previous, same coding just different images and colors (yet alot of images are just color changes) ... the point is that none of you know if the theme was entered as a joint bid just as *eren said:

Quotethink of this theme as the joint work of Panic and the DeviantArt guy. There is nothing that says two people can't enter the contest.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Eliana Tamerin

If the customization team views it that way, then that's fine. They are the final word on how rules are interpreted for the contest, not us. It's obvious this issue has come up and has been resolved in a way that the Customization Team deems fair. Let the best theme author win, then.

Download | Docs

Crip

Quote from: RunicWarrior on May 04, 2008, 02:11:39 PM
Can you honestly say all your themes where original ...

Yes RunicWarrior, I can honestly say that. :)
I will say no more about this..to me this subject / topic is closed.

- Abraham Lincoln -

Sincere

Quote from: RunicWarrior on April 29, 2008, 06:46:13 PM
Well folks the Theme Contest is now closed. For the last 9 days the team have been busting their brains to narrow the voting down to the final 8. Now it's up to you guys and gals to bring the 8 down to three.

How come Dilbert MC is not among those themes ?

I would not give any theme more than 7/10, and I would give Dilber MC 10/10

Do you need a special mod for your smf forums? contact me for a quote.

Deaks

as Dilber was not submitted during the comp running, it was submitted before the comp started
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Sincere

Quote from: RunicWarrior on May 04, 2008, 04:54:19 PM
as Dilber was not submitted during the comp running, it was submitted before the comp started

yes Sir, but how do you feel about inviting the members to vote on themes that do not include the ones they already voted for by downloading them ?

every download of a theme is an implicit vote to that Theme, and if Dilber MC is the most popular theme, there surely is a reason to that. right ?

forsakenlad

I believe that the strongest reason that this contest first existed was to encourage designers to create more themes.

How could you encourage people the way you say it. Noone says Dilber theme is bad or worse than the ones here.

Remember this contest's aim isn't to select the best theme ever, but to select the best theme submitted during the time period.

Take the Oscar Academy Awards for example, if it was the way you say it, Godfather, Scarface or Lord Of The Rings would win all the contests and there would be no reason to do it every year.
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Sincere

Quote from: *eren on May 04, 2008, 05:46:05 PM
I believe that the strongest reason that this contest first existed was to encourage designers to create more themes.

How could you encourage people the way you say it. Noone says Dilber theme is bad or worse than the ones here.

Remember this contest's aim isn't to select the best theme ever, but to select the best theme submitted during the time period.

you do have a point that only candidates to any prize can be considered for the prize

I am not aware how long the competition was open, and why Harzem did not join this competition

joe123

Quote from: Sincere on May 04, 2008, 04:30:03 PM

My feeling as well.    I would give 20 on a 1-10 scale for Dilber MC theme.

This is also obvious from the number of downloads.

connor11

This contest is doubtful for me, and I believe that is same for many people although they don't talk about their ideas here. We are not blaming Panic, but you are defending very wrong thing. It is obvious that Kello-lt is not original work of Panic! To defend your ideas you are blaming people, not I am. Crip's themes are original although they seem same them self. However, his themes are clean, very proper, and most important they are original work. He is just using some small free images in the net. Anyway, I believe that you know his themes are perfect. However, to support your fault, you shouldn't blame someone. You are supposed to be fair if this is a serious contest. If the theme Kello-lt wins this (I believe it will), this contest means corrupted! This is not Simple Machines like the years' ago!

Sincere

Quote from: joe123 on May 04, 2008, 06:22:26 PM

great. how important is it for your board to have Dilber MC for smf2.0 ?

Please pledge donating something to Dilber MC to encourage the author to work on it and get it done so that we can all upgrade to smf2.0 soon

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Sincere on May 04, 2008, 06:31:13 PM
Quote from: joe123 on May 04, 2008, 06:22:26 PM

great. how important is it for your board to have Dilber MC for smf2.0 ?

Please pledge donating something to Dilber MC to encourage the author to work on it and get it done so that we can all upgrade to smf2.0 soon

Sincere, this is not the place or time to comment on that. Please take this to the Theme's comment thread. And a word of caution, as most theme authors won't be upgrading their themes until SMF's semantic layouts have been better defined.

Download | Docs

Advertisement: