SMF 2.0 Update Part V

Started by Grudge, April 30, 2008, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

All, I thought I should provide something of an update on the status of 2.0 – it's been a while since our last update. Firstly, we've been really pleased with the reception to the first public beta of SMF. In general feedback has been positive, and we've got a good load of bug reports that we've been working through (Thanks to the team for capturing them all). It's interesting to see the variety of views on 2.0, the most critical have been around the lack of changes to the interfaces to users, which is understandable. Our primary focus with 2.0 was to get the moderation and administration functionality to be top of it's game, whilst also working on the backend to get SMF much more modular – so "big/complex" forums will probably get more of a benefit out of 2.0 than small community forums where moderation isn't such a problem. That said, there have been considerable user improvements, including OpenID, custom profile fields, enhanced PM system, WYSWIYG editor, ignore user posts, user joinable groups etc etc – hardly nothing ;)

Anyway, back on topic – progress! While, firstly people might notice I have the "On Hiatus" badge on – but don't panic! I've simply been busy with real life the last few weeks so progress hasn't been as fast as one might like – however – we've fixed lots and lots of bugs, we're at the stage now where the remaining bugs really aren't that critical (In the most part). We've made some progress with updating the primary templates to be more semantic, and this is probably the main thing holding us back from our next beta release. Bloc is however working hard to iron out the bugs in what we've done, and then I need to try and find a way to ensure we don't break all existing themes with the new templates. Once this is done, we'll try to get Beta 4 out of the door – which will hopefully be the final beta. Until then I hope people can remain patient. In the most part there won't be new features coming now, just bug fixes and a few feature tweaks. Our primary aim is to work towards a bug free final release, which will then enable us to start work towards the next version ;)

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

karlbenson

Weird font ;) , but nice read and update :)

SleePy

Somebody was playing with the WYSIYWG editor :P
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Spaceman-Spiff

Gary

Aerial does not belong on web pages IMO. Verdana FTW. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Spaceman-Spiff

I do like Verdana too, but the web will be a boring place if everyone uses the same font. Once in a while, a bit of Arial/Helvetica or Tahoma is nice. They're nicer for tighter spaces.

Eliana Tamerin

* Eliana Tamerin wishes operating systems shipped with a better variety of fonts.

Anyways, great to hear the progress, Grudge. I'm excited to see the next Beta.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

shadow82x

Nice update Grudge. Thanks.

It seems that when your "On Hiatus" you do more work. ;) lol
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Grudge on April 30, 2008, 12:02:45 PMAnyway, back on topic – progress! While, firstly people might notice I have the "On Hiatus" badge on – but don't panic!

That was what I was going to ask. Good news. We're waiting...
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Sverre

Thanks for the update, Grudge! I'm anxiously looking forward to see the results of your work on the new default theme :)

Quote from: [SiNaN] on May 01, 2008, 06:49:32 AM
Quote from: Grudge on April 30, 2008, 12:02:45 PMAnyway, back on topic – progress! While, firstly people might notice I have the "On Hiatus" badge on – but don't panic!

That was what I was going to ask. Good news. We're waiting...

Personally, I'm more curious, excited and worried about two other recent "badge" changes. Namely Jeff and Thantos...

shadow82x

QuotePersonally, I'm more curious, excited and worried about two other recent "badge" changes. Namely Jeff and Thantos...
mm probaly Real Life issues? I was kind of wondering the same thing.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

SleePy

Jeff had the code bug bite him again :P So he changed colors ;)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

christicehurst

Seems like everything is running well. I'll be waiting for the final release, then about 15 mods redone, a theme designed and redone, Tiny Portal updated, you know how it is lol
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

[SiNaN]

Off Topic:

Jay also went on Hiatus. Interesting. Soon we will have no devs left. :P

I guess devs will transfer SleePy to their team. :D
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Eliana Tamerin

It might just be the season (Finals). :P

Download | Docs

karlbenson

Quote from: SleePy on May 04, 2008, 10:34:53 PM
Jeff had the code bug bite him again :P So he changed colors ;)

Is that like Peter Parker becoming Spiderman? :P

Eliana Tamerin

Yeah, it bit him, he donned nerdy glasses, a flannel shirt, turned off all his lights and has the ability to code and debug programs at 5 times the normal human speed. :P

Download | Docs

LinkinParkBoy

Any news about beta 4 ppl? :P

Eliana Tamerin

When we have news, you'll know about it. Don't worry, you'll get it soon enough.

Download | Docs

lax.slash

I have a feeling that it's not too far off!  :P (The site copyright is "Powered by SMF 2.0 Beta 4")

Advertisement: