News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Update Part V

Started by Grudge, April 30, 2008, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezzb

Big Thanks SMF Team for your Hard Work and Dedication !

I moved to Beta 2.0 3.01 Public and really like the looks.

Jezzb

MultiformeIngegno

Quote from: lax.slash on June 17, 2008, 11:46:09 AM
I have a feeling that it's not too far off!  :P (The site copyright is "Powered by SMF 2.0 Beta 4")
Yeah! ;)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

LinkinParkBoy

Please, tell me, that the release date is this month eheh :P

Eliana Tamerin

It will be released when it's ready. We don't have a specific date set. Thank you for your patience.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

rommul

I bet one year chartered membership subscription that will not be any final release for 2.0 this year.

Eliana Tamerin

I very much doubt anything serious like that would occur. But the soft goal is by the end of the year to have a release. Soft goal, mind you, the devs aren't bound to anything. A serious bug could crop up that makes that impossible.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Aaron

Quote from: [SiNaN] on June 29, 2008, 10:14:25 AM
I remember Grudge saying that project will be canceled if they cannot reach to the final until the end of this year. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

That's not what he said. He said that he personally would "have seriously failed" should no final be released by the end of this year.

HecKel

Quote from: rommul on June 29, 2008, 10:11:27 AM
I bet one year chartered membership subscription that will not be any final release for 2.0 this year.

I really don't want to believe in that. SMF 2.0 has been talked for a lot of time, I think that Devs had failled when they "stop" improving 1.1 and started to developing 2.0. Now we are wainting for news when the news were 2 per year..., how long we don't have any upgrade? Even one small upgrade? Just fixes...

Personally, I think that 2.0 will come sooner then we think, but I agree when people start complaining..., it is really sad.

The problem it isn't the wainting, it is the lack of news in SMF (upgrades on 1.1).
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

[SiNaN]

I said I could be wrong, removed my post not to cause confusion.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

H

QuoteThe problem it isn't the wainting, it is the lack of news in SMF (upgrades on 1.1).

I'm unsure about what you mean by lack of updates to 1.1.x. 1.1.x is feature frozen so there is no need for any updates unless major bugs or security issues are found.

If you want new features then download some mods or use 2.0 :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

HecKel

I didn't said that is lack of updates, but of news ;)

The last news about SMF 2.0 was this thread and was on 30th April, 2 months ago..., no new news..., we know that the Devs are working in a semantic theme but nothing else, we see a Beta 4 and we didn't get any news about it. This is what I mean about lack of news.

About SMF 1.1, I think that the step to 2.0 was too big, why not one 1.2? 1.3? And little improvements on 1.X when you work as well in 2.0?

@H, I have more comments but I think that I should do them in private, can I sent you one PM?
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

H

2.0 is a bigger number jump than was originally planned but it was felt that the database abstraction warranted this change. This was quite a large development so I don't think future releases should have quite as large a gap.

Newswise on beta4 there aren't really any noteable changes just a lot of bugfixes :). Beta4 would've been out already but we're fixing some show stoppers so your experience isn't lessened!

I agree that even small improvements can be nice but it seems the majority of sites prefer less frequent updates which is why features from 2.0 are not officially backported :). The devs also thought they could save time by not doing this.

Feel free to send me a PM :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: