Lots-O-Smileys

Started by Jesse Shaw, January 08, 2005, 07:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyrna

It's annoying that I have to start this request for help in a thread that's already five pages long and been dead for eight and a half months. I want this darned thing to work, though, so I'll give it a shot.

I've been trying to get this mod to work for about two weeks. I've followed different directions from different people, none of whom seem to use the same words for things and none of which are very clear on what they mean. This last time, I used the directions posted by aslambilal, and before I even got to the part I didn't understand (Step10: Make it default and import the smileys form teh directory), it failed. I have screenshots on my site here, showing step by step what I did and the results.

Will someone please help me with this? There's no FAQ for Admins for SMF itself, which is just absolutely absurd.

Gantry

Hi Kyrna, I wrote my own set of instructions that worked for me, although they are a bit old they might work for you. I will PM them to you.

Batchfiles

Here's how I got my smiley sets to work and although I only use one or two from the Lots-O-Smileys set the method is applicable to any set of smiley's. The key to it all seems to be that EVERY smiley has to have its own unique name and EVERY smiley has to be in the default directory. That's not to say you can't have separate sets of smiley's, you can, but a copy of each of the smiley's in your set has also to be in the default folder for it to show as an image when posting.

So the way I did it was to first collect together all the smiley's I wanted and put them into a folder. I gave the folder a name; you can call it anything you like, and then copied the folder to 'Smileys'. I then had three folders under 'Smileys', the original 'default, classic and my new one. I then copied all the smiley's from my new folder to the default folder.

Next I went to ACP and the smileys and message icons section. Here I clicked settings and put a tick in 'Enable customized smileys' and also one in 'Enable smiley set selection by members'. Then in the 'Smiley Sets' tab I clicked 'New smiley Set'. Here I selected my new set, gave it a name and ticked 'Import smileys already in this directory'. I then clicked 'Save Changes'

In the 'Edit Smileys' tab I selected my new folder from the drop down box at the top, put a tick next to 'modify' on each of my new smiley's and in the bottom drop down box that's called 'With Selected:' I chose 'Show on popup'

And that was it. It may not be the correct way to do it and I may be missing something simple but I don't care; I've got all my smiley's showing and now I'm off to do battle with the 'Smiley Pops' mod.

Kyrna

Quote from: Gantry on August 23, 2009, 08:38:35 PM
Hi Kyrna, I wrote my own set of instructions that worked for me, although they are a bit old they might work for you. I will PM them to you.
Quote from: Batchfiles on August 25, 2009, 01:47:17 AM
Here's how I got my smiley sets to work and although I only use one or two from the Lots-O-Smileys set the method is applicable to any set of smiley's. The key to it all seems to be that EVERY smiley has to have its own unique name and EVERY smiley has to be in the default directory. That's not to say you can't have separate sets of smiley's, you can, but a copy of each of the smiley's in your set has also to be in the default folder for it to show as an image when posting.

So the way I did it was to first collect together all the smiley's I wanted and put them into a folder. I gave the folder a name; you can call it anything you like, and then copied the folder to 'Smileys'. I then had three folders under 'Smileys', the original 'default, classic and my new one. I then copied all the smiley's from my new folder to the default folder.

Next I went to ACP and the smileys and message icons section. Here I clicked settings and put a tick in 'Enable customized smileys' and also one in 'Enable smiley set selection by members'. Then in the 'Smiley Sets' tab I clicked 'New smiley Set'. Here I selected my new set, gave it a name and ticked 'Import smileys already in this directory'. I then clicked 'Save Changes'

In the 'Edit Smileys' tab I selected my new folder from the drop down box at the top, put a tick next to 'modify' on each of my new smiley's and in the bottom drop down box that's called 'With Selected:' I chose 'Show on popup'

And that was it. It may not be the correct way to do it and I may be missing something simple but I don't care; I've got all my smiley's showing and now I'm off to do battle with the 'Smiley Pops' mod.
Thank you both, gentlemen. I came up with an answer similar to both of you and while it's far from elegant and I still sometimes get error messages, they're at least in there.

Batchfiles

I'm very glad you finally got your smileys to work; I had a battle with them myself.  >:(

And now that I've sorted out my database problem with the 'Smiley Pops' mod I have a whole row of nice little sets of smiley's to click on under some brand new default smiley's on post replies.

the-punisher

i Just Love SMF!

maihannijat

How to add this in Popup Box?

ayteck

Hi guys, do you have for this smilies database table? (mean: SQL backup for smf_smileys table) i dont want add per smile one by one, its too hard, and i dont have not much time. Can you send the sql file?

Thank you.

MoreBloodWine

I've used this set on alot of my sites but havent for a while due to just forgetting to. Anyway, all my sites are now on 2.0 and I was wondering what I need to do to use / install these on a 2.0 site.

Or do I just emulate 1.0 in the package manager ?
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

Arantor

You don't even need to do that. There's literally no version specified in the package - and $smileysdir should work the same in 2.0 as it did in 1.1, so I see no reason why you couldn't just install it.

All the installer does is unpack the zip, move the folder full of smileys to the Smileys folder and that's it...

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Arantor on February 18, 2013, 07:15:42 PM
You don't even need to do that. There's literally no version specified in the package - and $smileysdir should work the same in 2.0 as it did in 1.1, so I see no reason why you couldn't just install it.

All the installer does is unpack the zip, move the folder full of smileys to the Smileys folder and that's it...
Gotcha, thx as always Arantor... I just wanted to "check and see" before I went to test just in case.
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

Advertisement: