Different installation approach

Started by wimvincken, May 09, 2008, 12:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wimvincken

Alright.
I want to install the SMF in a different way.
Reason? My current SMF (1.1.4) is totally customized and will never survive the upgrade.
How?
1. Install the SMF 2.0 Beta
2. Import the database into the new one (users and posts, no settings, mods, etc.)

My question, is that possible?

Wim

Dannii

If your database really is so customised that you can't upgrade, that wouldn't work either.

But I doubt it is so customised that you can't upgrade. What have you done to it?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

rsw686

When upgrading to SMF 2 you replace all the files anyway and just use the existing database. You could just deleted all the files / folders in your forum folder besides Settings.php and attachments/. Of course make a backup first. Then extract the SMF 2 files and run the upgrade.php script. This should leave you with a clean forum, still having your avatars and attachments.

Then you will need to look through the mods you installed on 1.1.x and figure out the modifications they made to the database tables. Undo these manually with phpmyadmin or similar. Most of the changes mods make are adding a table, column, or adding values to the settings table.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

ONLiNEZONE

Hi
Quote from: wimvincken on May 09, 2008, 12:46:01 AM
Alright.
I want to install the SMF in a different way.
Reason? My current SMF (1.1.4) is totally customized and will never survive the upgrade.
How?
1. Install the SMF 2.0 Beta
2. Import the database into the new one (users and posts, no settings, mods, etc.)

My question, is that possible?

Wim

Hi,
If you use FTP copy all the files, just incase.
Try upgrading. :D
Regards,
Mark.

50 | 100 | 150 | 200 | 250 | 300...

Rumbaar

I personally would make a complete copy of the 1.1.* db and install it into a new db on your mySQL server.  Then install all the files for the large SMF 2.* install.  Alter the settings.php file to point to the new db details, then run the upgrade.sql and update the forum to 2.*

This will ensure you keep your original safe and you can work to work out any kinks that might take place in an upgrade.  Any rogue fields/tables in the db from previous 1.1.* mods shouldn't effect the running of 2.*.  But may become an issue if you ever try to install the mod again and it encounters already installed fields/tables and doesn't have built in functionality to detect already installed entries.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: