Modify a mod copyright

Started by Kadimi, July 31, 2009, 12:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadimi

Hello,

Most of mods owners that include a copyright notice in their mods do not state whether they allow users to modify the copyright notice.

In such cases, are we allowed to change the copyright notice (content and appearance)?
Currently working on http://www.ommahat.com/ a forum for successful mothers
My blog: http://www.kadimi.com/en/

babjusi

Quote from: KIN on July 31, 2009, 12:03:55 PM
Hello,

Most of mods owners that include a copyright notice in their mods do not state whether they allow users to modify the copyright notice.

In such cases, are we allowed to change the copyright notice (content and appearance)?

Only one mod author adds copyright to their mods from what I have seen. I think it would be best to ask this at that mod''s support topic.

Arantor

If you mean 'editing the displayed copyright' then generally no, you would have to ask (and many mods do this). If you mean copyright in the code, generally you shouldn't need to.

Certainly you wouldn't be able to redistribute it.

Reflection

This is a tough nut to crack.

Personally, of all the mods I see, some people are real morons when they decide to copyright it to the extent of adding more footer. I won't name any persons individually, but if a mod you installed, for example, just edits the profile, there should be no copyright in the footer.

Whether or not to remove it is out of the question. I just wouldn't use that mod and then PM the author. Mod credits should ONLY be in the Who.php file unless it's a huge mod (like a portal or gallery).
Good "SMF" Portals
Tiny Portal [SMF 1.1.x only]
Simple Portal [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

Good "SMF" Theme Sites
SMF Themes [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]
Dziner Studio [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

青山 素子

Any permissions not explicitly granted by the license are not granted under copyright law. The best thing to do in those cases is to ask the owner.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: