News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[SOLVED by Beta 4] WYSIWYG Editor and pasting from Outlook

Started by Mr ChriZ, April 29, 2008, 11:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr ChriZ

Sure you guys know this already, but when pasting
from Outlook (2007) the WYSIWGY editor is making a complete mess
of the formatting.

Grudge

Before or after you submit the post? The editor has no control over how the pasting itself works - that's a browser function. What type of data are you pasting? Can you provide a screenshot example?
I'm only a half geek really...

Mr ChriZ

The pasting into the editor works fine, however after hitting the post button it all falls apart.

I'll provide some screenshots

Mr ChriZ

Screenshots attached

Mr ChriZ

I've also noticed unrelated to pasting, back slashes keep going missing.
I've not got a set of steps to reproduce it yet.

Mr ChriZ

All backslashes are being turned into escape characters.
Create a new post C:\Test with subject test.
Click post.
Go to modify.
It becomes either
C:est

OR fails to load the wysiwyg editor, reverting to the standard editor.
This can be seen on the SMF Community forum.

Grudge

Thanks - I think I know what the latter problem is but not the former.

I should be able to resolve the outlook pasting stuff but I'd need a little help to do so, in terms of some debugging - as it's clear that my html to bbc parsar isn't quite getting it right for the code.

Right I'd *really* appreciate is if you could add a few lines of test code, do the pasting/posting, then remove them again. After which you need to check your error log and PM me the results within it. Basically, what you'd need to do is open Subs-Editor.php and find:

function html_to_bbc($text)
{

and after it add:

log_error('GRUDGE' . base64_encode($text), 'debug');

Then simply do your normal "post" and then check the error log. You should see an error message against your username which will be entirely non-readable but will start 'GRUDGE' and be followed by a huge serious of letters and numbers. Can you paste the whole content of this to me via PM, I can then see what your browser submitted to your site for posting and do all the testing required on my end.

Thanks,

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

Mr ChriZ

PM Sent, let me know if you'd like me to test a fix!

Mr ChriZ

Earlier I Used your Test board now that your forums are up to Beta 4, and and confirm that outlook pasting is now working  :D

The C: est problem remains however.

Advertisement: