News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Unread vs Read PM

Started by raklet, May 13, 2008, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raklet

A major complaint I had about 1.1x is the inbox makes no distinction to show which personal messages are new.  I see this has been changed in version 2.0.  There is now a new icon next to each new message.  However, as soon as I enter the inbox, all of these icons disappear.  Is there a way to make them disappear only as each message is read rather than resetting the entire inbox just by virtue of visiting it?

Thanks

raklet

Is there any interest in this topic out there?  Is there a more appropriate forum for me to post this in?

SgtMic

Wait 24 hours before bumping you topics. Just a kindly word of advice. ;)
There is nothing more deadly than a US Marine and his rifle.
A close second is a US Marine and his K-BAR.
2/5 Fox Co.  (BlackHearts)
FAST Co. 5th Plt. (FIDO)

raklet

Quote from: SgtMic on May 15, 2008, 02:19:55 PM
Wait 24 hours before bumping you topics. Just a kindly word of advice. ;)

I waited 48 hours.  Thanks.

SgtMic

Wow... I guess the mind does go first. :)
There is nothing more deadly than a US Marine and his rifle.
A close second is a US Marine and his K-BAR.
2/5 Fox Co.  (BlackHearts)
FAST Co. 5th Plt. (FIDO)

Rumbaar

From my experience the 'new' icon stays until I've read at least one of the new messages. But as long as I just visit the inbox and not move around it stays.  But the nature of mark as read and all PM are on one page it means you'll mark them as read as soon as you view one.

An option, not test by me, is to change your PM setting and alter Display personal messages:=> One at a time.  Might enable you to mark only one at a time.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

raklet

Quote from: Rumbaar on June 09, 2008, 04:51:34 AM
From my experience the 'new' icon stays until I've read at least one of the new messages. But as long as I just visit the inbox and not move around it stays.  But the nature of mark as read and all PM are on one page it means you'll mark them as read as soon as you view one.

An option, not test by me, is to change your PM setting and alter Display personal messages:=> One at a time.  Might enable you to mark only one at a time.

Well, I've tested this in 2.0 with "one at a time" checked and it still clears the entire inbox after reading just one.  Since posting this topic, I've since gone and written my own module that alters this behavior in 1.x.  The "new" messages are only cleared once the link to them is actually clicked on.  This works for both multi-view and with the "Single PM" module.

Oldiesmann

I haven't tested the "one at a time" view, but will do so shortly. I do know that it doesn't mark messages as read until you've actually viewed them if you choose "conversation" view.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Oldiesmann

I just tested the "one at a time" view in Beta 3.1 public, and it worked just as expected - it only marked the messages as read after I'd actually read them.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

raklet

Quote from: Oldiesmann on June 09, 2008, 03:07:34 PM
I just tested the "one at a time" view in Beta 3.1 public, and it worked just as expected - it only marked the messages as read after I'd actually read them.

Excellent.  Thanks for checking that.  I'm glad to know that I won't have to write my own mod when I eventually migrate from 1.x.  In the meantime, my mod for 1.x works like a champ.

Rumbaar

Quote from: raklet on June 09, 2008, 07:54:22 AMWell, I've tested this in 2.0 with "one at a time" checked and it still clears the entire inbox after reading just one.
Strange two posts earlier you indicated that you had in fact tested it yourself and got different results?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

raklet

Quote from: Rumbaar on June 09, 2008, 09:14:53 PM
Quote from: raklet on June 09, 2008, 07:54:22 AMWell, I've tested this in 2.0 with "one at a time" checked and it still clears the entire inbox after reading just one.
Strange two posts earlier you indicated that you had in fact tested it yourself and got different results?

I tested on version 2.0.  I don't have a copy 3.1 beta so I'm not going to argue the point.  If he says it works, I'll believe it until I find out otherwise.

Rumbaar

SMF 2.0 is 3.1 BETA :)

[ Themes ]

raklet

Quote from: Rumbaar on June 09, 2008, 11:57:18 PM
SMF 2.* is 3.1 BETA :)  Well technically there is 3.0 and 3.1, but they are both SMF 2.*

Heh, well I'll have to go back and give it a look again then.  I know that it cleared my inbox upon entering.  I had single message mode enabled, but not conversation mode as suggested in the previous post.  I'll look again and get back.

Oldiesmann

SMF 2.0 has three different PM views:

All at once - shows all PMs at once
One at a time - only shows the PM when you click on it
Conversation - similar to "one at a time", except that it shows a PM and all of its replies together to allow you to easily follow the conversation (works best if you have SMF set to store PMs in your outbox)

If it works with "One at a time", it should work fine with "conversation" as well (and vice-versa).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

raklet

Ok, I just went back and tested.  Yes, it works like it should.  Thanks.

Advertisement: