Shoutbox

Started by picos, May 22, 2008, 12:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picos

Has anyone got a working shoutbox on their beta forum???  If you have could you say which one you used and if there was any specific editing involved to get it working.  Thanks.

Jade Elizabeth

There are plenty of working shoutbox mods, this topic should not be in support. You only have to edit code if your forum has many mods or custom themes installed that the mod wont install on. To do this you can easily use a parser (such as the one at www.sleepycode.com).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

picos

Ok thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong area. 

Kryptech

There is only 1 shoutbox mod available for smf 2, and when I used it on my forums it made it so slow it was almost unusable. I had to remove the mod.

Jade Elizabeth

It should not have done that, you may have some other problem.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kryptech

It didnt happen right away, but the day after I installed it I noticed that my site was very slow. I have just re-installed it again, seems okay for now. I will check on it tomorrow and see if the same thing happens.

Jade Elizabeth

Check your error log!

picos

Which shoutbox was it that you used? 

Feel free to move this topic to an area where it most fits. 

Kryptech

I used nneonneo's shoutbox. It is actually werking very good right now. Had t installed for over a day, maybe my host server was just slow that day. Here is the link:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=585

btw, to find mods that werk for v2 go to customize, there you will see this:

Mods for your version of SMF
SMF 1.1.5
SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public

Just click on the 2.0 link and it will show you all mods for 2.0.

picos

I actually have used the ajax shout that was used in that mod.  I donated money to the creator a while back as I thought it was promising but I couldn't control permissions with it when using it as a stand alone.

I don't see that there's any permissions with the mod for SMF unless I misses something?  I run a gaming clan site and we get a lot of disgruntled people to the site so having a shoutbox without permissions is asking for trouble. 

Kryptech

I don't see any permissions(or settings at all) for it either, although, I have never been to a site that didn't allow guests access to the shoutbox. I just ban anyone that abuses the shoutbox, and make sure I have a mod on at almost all times.

Advertisement: