News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mathematic formulas in a post

Started by boldt, May 28, 2008, 04:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boldt

This may be a little tricky.

I am using SMF as a forum for engineers - ingeniørdebat.dk - with a technical debate sometimes showing formulas, etc.

sometimes we need a letter from the Greek alphabet: my, pi phi, summa , in our text.

How do we do it?
How do I explain to the users?
Is it possible to create an insert-button, just like "sup", "insert image", "italic"?

have a nice day

Mikael Boldt 

Jennahan

Best way is to create, a TEX BBC ;)

Easiest and fastest way is to create images and put into emoticons ;)

I think :)

Dannii

Well you can already use Greek characters, just copy them in from character map or whatever: ΦΠΣΩ. If you want to do formatting there are sup and sub tags. For anything more complex you can install this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1111
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

[SAP]Francis

Quote from: Dannii on May 28, 2008, 05:13:28 AM
Well you can already use Greek characters, just copy them in from character map or whatever: ΦΠΣΩ. If you want to do formatting there are sup and sub tags. For anything more complex you can install this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1111
WOOT? :O LOL!

Vehicles Forum

Founded By Francis Morissette

boldt

Quote from: Jennahan on May 28, 2008, 04:20:42 AM
Easiest and fastest way is to create images and put into emoticons ;)

I like this idea, but where is a : and a ) translated to a  :)  ?

I could easily see this, as a supplement to the MOD proposed by Dannii
Quote from: Dannii on May 28, 2008, 05:13:28 AMhttp://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1111

Because typing a pi using the MOD is performed like this:
[tex]\pi[/tex]  instead of just  \pi or a click on a button.

have a nice day

Mikael Boldt

Dannii

There's no need to use anything like that. π is just a normal character like any other.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

boldt

Quote from: Dannii on May 30, 2008, 10:37:58 AM
There's no need to use anything like that. π is just a normal character like any other.
What key do you press in order to get pi, my, summa?

Dannii

I just copied it from character map. You should be able to copy it from anywhere though.

boldt

I have now established a box with the greek letters for copy/paste, but unfortunately it does not work.

Every time I copy a greek letter, it becomes a ? (question mark) in the post.

Does it have something to do with my set-up to Danish language?
(testing here: Π )

Still I would love to have a system of keys like emoticons

kind regards

Mikael Boldt

[SAP]Francis

You could use the anti-swearing system :) It works as perfect as this. :)

Vehicles Forum

Founded By Francis Morissette

boldt

Quote from: [SAP]Francis on November 27, 2008, 07:46:04 PM
You could use the anti-swearing system :) It works as perfect as this. :)
Please elaborate!
is it a MOD ? where do I find it?
is it a setiing ? How do I do it ?
or is this a poor way for you to put adds in this forum?

regards

Mikael Boldt

[SiNaN]

I guess he meant the Censor feature. Admin CP >> Posts and Topics >> Censored Words

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=118
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Akyhne

Either your DB is not running UTF-8, or your language files are not saved in UTF-8 format.

Advertisement: