News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.x review

Started by exxocet, May 29, 2008, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exxocet

Hi guys. From the very start I wanna ask you to not take these personally, just try to be objective for 1min and maybe I am right in some aspects.
  I really like SMF and I guess, if is not the best forum software available, for sure is on par with vBulletin on the first place. The big advantage of SMF: is free. I run my site on SMF since years and I was 100% pleased with it.
  Rock solid script, clean code, fantastic forum engine. A superb support community, I have to thank everybody for the help, every time I've asked for some help or some informations. Now... the dark side... themes and graphics. :-[
  SMF's default theme is OK, I found it pretty pleasant for the eye, but is outdated. Forum's index looks like a brick, is too square, it desperately need rounded corners. The big problem is there is no other theme as quality alternative (maybe except Dilber and discontinued Rockettheme work). All themes are variations of default theme, not a rounded corner, not professionally choose color palette.
  The icons are the ugliest I ever seen on a forum, looks like cartoons. I hoped it will be improved in vers. 2.X, but...
I've managed to replace the icons, not big deal, I've managed to bridge SMF 1.1.5 with Joomla, but where I can find a professional theme? Not looking like a brick as ten years ago forums used to look like.

Sadly, phpbb3 looks extremely good and you know it... I don't wanna shift to phpBB and I won't do it, I love SMF, the functionality, it's extremely good search engine, but I'm seriously take into account to pay and swith to vB. Not because it's better than SMF, but because they feature some decent looking themes.

Long live SMF! :)

SlammedDime

Perhaps you should invest in designing your own theme for Joomla/SMF.  Thats what I did for Mambo/SMF because, I, as you didn't like the boxy look and commonality to the core theme of most of the themes in our database (my site is in my signature).  Paying for a vb license and the hassle of getting converted, and reintegrating with Joomla, then maybe even paying for a halfway decent theme, it would cheaper to either hire someone to make something for SMF, or do it yourself.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

exxocet

Quote from: SlammedDime on May 29, 2008, 08:42:02 PM
Perhaps you should invest in designing your own theme for Joomla/SMF.  Thats what I did for Mambo/SMF because, I, as you didn't like the boxy look and commonality to the core theme of most of the themes in our database (my site is in my signature).  Paying for a vb license and the hassle of getting converted, and reintegrating with Joomla, then maybe even paying for a halfway decent theme, it would cheaper to either hire someone to make something for SMF, or do it yourself.

Hmm, this could be right, indeed...
  I guess I will try to build a new theme for SMF, with +2 cells in every table in order to make some rounded corners. I will make it for SMF 2.x and I will publish here for public download. By the way, I came across a specific tool for creating SMF theme, maybe helpful on CSS or so. Is this really available ?

Thank you SlammedDime.

Advertisement: