[BETA] Sub-Accounts / Aliases / Multiple Personas

Started by SlammedDime, May 30, 2008, 04:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliana Tamerin

Other than the ability to post with any subaccount, the accounts are separate. PMs, profile information (excepting the info that the subaccount inherits, like email and layout settings), etc are all separate. You would need to switch to your subaccount in order to read/send/reply-to PMs.

As far as notifications, SMF has a built-in notification system for PMs: email. :P
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

SlammedDime

I removed the feature of all PM's going to the parent account in the rewrite for RC1-1 because it wasn't in the true meaning of the mod, to have totally separate accounts, but linked and easily changeable.  On the 'Manage Subaccounts' screen, it does show how many PM's each subaccount has, and how many of those messages are new.

As for sending or replying to PM's as other accounts, I can definitely look at including that.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Altair

Another question, will you be incorporating this with the warning system? So people that are warned on any of the accounts get their warning lifted on all of them?

or

Does the warning system work with IP addresses?

Either way, this Mod is epic and you can expect some money from us (us being forum).

SlammedDime

The warning system works off of specific users... and as such, one account may have warnings, and one may not... I suppose I can incorporate an option for a warning to affect all accounts of a user... the difficulty with that though will come with shared subaccounts (now implemented).  I'll try to take a closer look at this.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Caltan

Hilarious new bug one of my users just encountered:

She registered months and months ago with one name (internets handle), changed her display name to something else (RP character name).  People do this all the time, no big deal.  Today, she decided to make an aliased account with the first name (the parent account's user name, but not display name), and, not remembering that it was already the account name, managed to alias the account to itself, successfully locking her out of the alias editing functions entirely.

Totally easy fix in the database, and I'm not sure if the parent/alias generation will be the same in the new version, I just wanted to point out that there wasn't a check to make sure that the extant account wasn't the account presently in use as the parent.

SlammedDime

I've rewritten the database query when checking for an existing account so that shouldn't happen.  I'll test it just to be sure though.  Thanks :)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

jkrlvgn

Just checking in to see how this is progressing.  I'd love to use this on my board....not sure if there is a beta testing or something going on, but....can't wait.  :) 

SlammedDime

Right now I have one person testing it out for me and so far so good... only minor issues have been encountered and fixed... and I've added in support for shared subaccounts as well, so multiple members can share an account.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

jkrlvgn

Awesome...I feel all kinds of weird not having accounts linked like in 1.1.x.  Glad to hear that it's been easygoing so far!  Keep up the good work!

Eliana Tamerin

What do you mean, accounts not linked? They certainly are linked in the manner of the Multiple Personas mod. It's even more integration, being able to post from any account on the post page (and even quick reply!). Not to mention easy account creation from within the Subaccounts profile area.

Download | Docs

jkrlvgn

Eliana - I mean that I had the Multiple Personas mod when my board was using the SMF 1.1.x¹, but that I had then switched to the RC for SMF 2.0 when it was available.  Since I don't have the Multiple Personas mod installed on the SMF 2.0 board (I understand that it's not compatible, though I haven't looked THAT far into it), I don't have linked accounts.

Unless I missed it, SlammedDime said he had one beta tester, and that everything was being cleaned up (as far as minor bugs, etc)....and I haven't seen a download for it on here yet, since I'm sure that he's wanting to make sure that it's polished up and working without those minor bugs before he releases it to the public.

From what I understand, without a modification to the SMF system (such as this is), you cannot have accounts linked by default.

SO.  Just to sum up.  I don't have this mod yet.  I used to have the Multiple Personas mod, but that doesn't work on 2.0.  This one DOES work on 2.0, but is not released yet.  Hence, I do not have any accounts linking, which makes me feel weird.

Eliana Tamerin

Ahh, I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Download | Docs

FireDitto

Loosing the Persona mod on 1.1.x is why I haven't yet upgraded my site... I'm waiting on the release of this mod, so that I can jump to 2.0 and have the persona's still :P
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

SlammedDime

I see there are quite a few people who want to make the switch... I'll see what the possibility of writing a converter script would be... I'll have to look at the Persona mod to see how it stores data and user accounts... it might not be possible.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

FireDitto

Well, if you can just re-assign all the accounts to the Main account after switching, I think that would be enough, haha, though, of course, it would be better to have it all done upon switching.

But yeah. I *think* the basic set up is the same -- Assign other accounts to a main account, and switch accounts manually - the Persona does this through a tab option along the top menu.

Though I have noticed, that when you're signed into a Persona account via the mod, it doesn't say you are logged in, your account is forever "Never" activated and you don't show up on the Online list.

Will your mod do this, too, or will you literally be "signed in" when you switch to a secondary account?

Eliana Tamerin

That's a bug in the personas mod, it doesn't take sessions into account. The SubAccount's mod kills (for the purposes of Who's Online) your main account session when you switch to a subaccount, and views you as the subaccount. So you're logged in and tracked like normal. And vice versa when you switch back to your main account.

Download | Docs

FireDitto

SlammedDime

Yea, what she said... heh...

When you switch accounts with my mod, it's like physically logging out of one account, then logging into another, except all you have to do is pick a name from a drop down and it's all automated. :)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Altair

Hey Slammed. I was just wondering how the development of this is coming along. I am trying to update to SMF 2.0 as fast as possible. I am having a bunch of problems with my SMF 1.1.10 right now. They happen on and off randomly. Is it possible we could work something out over PMs if anything?

SlammedDime

Based on my discussions with the person testing it right now, it sounds like it's ready for a release, code wise.  I don't have an eta on when I'll actually release it though.  I'm working on getting my website setup at the moment.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: