[BETA] Sub-Accounts / Aliases / Multiple Personas

Started by SlammedDime, May 30, 2008, 04:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlammedDime

On your first point: Aliases are listed under their parent account.  In the next release, one of the things I fixed was linking them to their profile.  I left that out of 0.9.0.

On your second point: I like that idea... 'hidden' aliases...

:)  Thanks for the input
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

SlammedDime

Updated to 0.9.1.  I think this is pretty stable and I would encourage people to test this. :)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

Not sure if this is intended functionality, but when I lock a topic and then post with an alias that is not a mod or admin (but my current 'alias' is), the post goes through.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

SlammedDime

That would be the correct functionality.  Aliases are nothing more than regular accounts with their own permissions and such, so if the alias has powers to mess with locked topics, it can do so, regardless of which alias made the post or topic.

ie: Parent account is Moderator1 (a moderator on the boarD), alias is member2, where member2 is a regular ol member with zero edit privileges to their own posts, Moderator1 can edit the post if desired if they have the right privileges
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Ncen

When deleting an Alias, It would be nice if you could choose not to move the posts over to the parent, so that it looks like when an ordinary member gets deleted, the posts looks like Guest-posts, but with the former members name. If this is already a feature, then nevermind. :P

Eliana Tamerin

You could split the alias from the parent, then delete. But I do agree, it'd be a nice feature to select whether or not to do that, or to select which Alias to mark the convert the posts to.

Download | Docs

SlammedDime

You could just go into the aliases profile and delete it like you would a normal member, which would accomplish having their posts go to 'guest'.

Something for me to keep in mind though.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Ncen

Quote from: SlammedDime on July 18, 2008, 01:52:30 PM
You could just go into the aliases profile and delete it like you would a normal member, which would accomplish having their posts go to 'guest'.
Ah, i didn't know that. :D Then that would ofcourse work. :) Thank you for the answer. '^^ I'm trying to convince my Co-Admin that this would be great for our forum in the future, but she wants the whole Alias-thing kept secret to non-admins. Or atleast the part about how's an alias to who. So that someone could pretend to be two different persons to the non-admins. The whole alias in the memberlist is giving that away. ;) Anyhow, it's a really great mod. :D

SlammedDime

When I add more features, one will be the option to 'hide' aliases from the public... that might very well work for you... :)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

Are you also going to add shared aliases, Slammed?

Download | Docs

Ncen

Quote from: SlammedDime on July 20, 2008, 03:31:56 AM
When I add more features, one will be the option to 'hide' aliases from the public... that might very well work for you... :)

That sounds great! :D I'll be looking forward to that. ^^

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 20, 2008, 09:46:02 AM
Are you also going to add shared aliases, Slammed?

That would be great! Two of my members is sharing one account. Perhaps it should only be possible to add an alias to a second account by an admin, for security-reasons, maybe?

SlammedDime

Unfortunately, shared aliases would be quite difficult, at least in its current form.  I can take a look at it though.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

There are several benefits I can see from it:

1. Shared Staff accounts
2. NPC accounts (for those characters that don't pop up often, but everybody can RP as them)
3. Joint Character accounts

Could you maybe make id_parent into an array and store it that way?

Download | Docs

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Ncen

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 20, 2008, 05:37:14 PM
There are several benefits I can see from it:

1. Shared Staff accounts
2. NPC accounts (for those characters that don't pop up often, but everybody can RP as them)
3. Joint Character accounts

I've to agree completely. :) That would be great. ^^

ccbtimewiz

Isn't that a bit of a bad idea to have staff accounts shared? I mean, permission wise?

Eliana Tamerin

Not when the "staff" account has the bare minimum of permissions that any normal staff member has.

Download | Docs

Caltan

I've just discovered some interesting functionality.  I edited another member's post, and since the admin account had aliases enabled, the 'post as' box appeared -- and thus, when saving the now-modified post, it used the post-as to change the post to appear as if originally by the editing admin account instead of the original member account (not one of the admin's aliases).

I can see how this would be useful; post under the wrong account, just edit it to switch the alias, tah dah.  However, perhaps having an option to select the original posting member for admins would be helpful in this situation?

SlammedDime

hrm... that is definitely not intended.  I thought I had it coded so the 'alias drop down' box only showed if you were editing your own post from another alias.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

Ok, just so you don't forget, it'd be a good idea to include total Karma on the parent account along with total post count.

Download | Docs

Advertisement: