[BETA] Sub-Accounts / Aliases / Multiple Personas

Started by SlammedDime, May 30, 2008, 04:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altair

Quote from: SlammedDime on July 30, 2009, 04:55:50 PM
Based on my discussions with the person testing it right now, it sounds like it's ready for a release, code wise.  I don't have an eta on when I'll actually release it though.  I'm working on getting my website setup at the moment.

Alright. Thanks for the response. Let us know when it's released.

Arantor

stefann

Let me rephrase that after rereading some of the posts..

For users that use a shared computer, is it possible for this to also function by essentially acting as a "multiple login" allowing them to still login in separately and still require a password for each account, but then once logged in let them switch with ease?
full time lurker on freenode #smf

Garou

For your protection and the protection of your users, people should never share accounts and account information. There are too many issues that can arise from something like that. For-instance say two  friends are sharing an account then have some type of tiff, one person locks the other out of the account or even starts posting something as the other person to humiliate them.

The point of this type of mod is to allow people role-play a multiple personas that is tied to their account.

stefann

Quote from: Garou on August 01, 2009, 07:44:00 AM
For your protection and the protection of your users, people should never share accounts and account information.

Agreed, but where they already sharing this does appear as a better alternative than just using the one that's already logged in.

The situation I'm talking about with my site exists with family members rather than flat-mates, but your issues still apply. I was however suggesting that they would always need to enter the password for each account to log in (or change passwords as required by SMF) and would be no less secure than having a shared computer left logged in as someone else, like people obviously do now.
full time lurker on freenode #smf

SlammedDime

The way this mod works is login is only allowed by the main account.  No subaccount can physically log into the forum.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Caltan

I'm so excited to hear this is ready for release -- I really want to upgrade to RC from B3, but need to wait on this mod (the joys of running RP forums, man).  If there's anything I can do as a user to help this along, please let me know.

Altair

SlammedDime

there was a bug found (simple and easy to fix) by my tester, and I'm also adding a few things to the admin interface... so far it's looking really good...  I may delay release only because I think RC2 is getting closer and I know this isn't compatible with RC2 yet, so I'd hate to release it, then maybe a few weeks or couple months later have to release it again...
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Altair

Quote from: SlammedDime on August 12, 2009, 02:58:59 PM
there was a bug found (simple and easy to fix) by my tester, and I'm also adding a few things to the admin interface... so far it's looking really good...  I may delay release only because I think RC2 is getting closer and I know this isn't compatible with RC2 yet, so I'd hate to release it, then maybe a few weeks or couple months later have to release it again...

I totally understand that logic. Dealt with that so many times. Just a question, is this Mod going to interface with the "Modifications," section of the Admin Panel?

SlammedDime

No, it creates it's own subsection under the 'Members'
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Altair

Quote from: SlammedDime on August 12, 2009, 03:15:20 PM
No, it creates it's own subsection under the 'Members'

Cool Cool. Thanks for the info.

I have another question. You say you are waiting on RC2. Who is to say that the code won't change considerably before SMF 2.0 final is released.

Why not wait till after that?

SlammedDime

it's not so much the source code that I'm worried about... there are only a few changes needed for that... it's the new default theme that we are introducing with 2.0.  I will need to redo the layout to make it flow properly with the new theme.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

Do you want it or not? :P

Considering how long it's been since the RC1 release, I think it's fairly safe to release between RCs. Also looking at the patterns of previous releases, SMF 1 had an RC1 and RC2 at least, and SMF 1.1 had RCs 1, 2 and 3. It's probably going to take a while (and perhaps another RC release) before SMF 2 is gold, and since this is a paid mod, that would ultimately decrease the amount of money that SD here could make. ;)
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

SlammedDime

to point out though... I'm not out to make money... this will be one of only a small handful of paid mods I do, mainly just due to the nature of time and code invested into it.

:)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Eliana Tamerin

Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Altair

Well ya! of course I want it. However, doing things over and over again is something I can understand.

Liam.

Okay, I may be going blind here, but I can't  see any download links available. Is this available for download, and if so, where? Thanks :D

Altair

Quote from: iKorp on August 14, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
Okay, I may be going blind here, but I can't  see any download links available. Is this available for download, and if so, where? Thanks :D

Not Yet.

Arantor

And even when the mod is available it will be a paid mod meaning it won't be available just for download.

Advertisement: