I can't delete a theme via FTP - "Permission denied"

Started by Frundaba, May 31, 2008, 12:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frundaba

So Installed SMF and played around a little.

Using SMF admin interface I made a copy of the default theme so I could modify it.

Now I decide to delete SMF and related files from my hosting account.

Everything could delete just fine, except for the copy of that theme.

Folder is named theme1.

I tried using smartFTP to delete it but keep getting "Permission denied".

I'm hosting with nearlyfreespeech, which I don't think has anything like cpanel.  I think my only access is via FTP.

Any suggestions?

--------------------------------

Just an update... the problem seems to be with the images folder.

I could delete other files and folders in the theme, but not the images folder or it's contents. Still can't delete the parent directories, theme1 and Themes.

brianjw

CHMOD that directory /images/ to 777 or 755. Then try to delete. If still having problems, contact your host.

Frundaba

I couldn't CHMOD either...kept getting permmission denied.

I contacted my host and they gave me permmissions back.  Problem solved.

To anyone else... you may want to avoid making copies of themes directly in admin interface.  Instead, just upload a copy directly through FTP client and then install.

greyknight17

I think it's the webhost you have there. The folder permissions might not be set to you as owner.

Topic marked as solved.

greyknight17

Yep, it's the ownership rights. Once they grant you as the owner of the folders, you can delete them. Do you know if this is on a Windows server?

Frundaba

>>>Once they grant you as the owner of the folders, you can delete them.

Yep... as I said, problem solved  :)

>>>Do you know if this is on a Windows server?

I think they're running FreeBSD.

BURN3R

I'm having this same problem, I'm just wondering if the script can create the files, shouldn't it also be able to delete them?
I tried deleting my copy of default from within SMF and all the files remained in place aswell.

Is there a solution other than contacting my host?

Advertisement: