News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

e-mail settings

Started by danerd100, June 01, 2008, 02:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danerd100

Okay, How do I configure my e-mail settings.  My people aren't getting e-mails after registering when they should be.  What should the settings be?

I am using freehostia.com [nofollow] as a host

danerd100

Yes, the error log says
"Could Not Connect to SMTP Host"

jossanaijr

But do you have email access in your account from your host with SMTP?

danerd100

I am fairly sure I do.  it is my isp, so maybe they block it unless it comes from one of their ip addresses.  How does the PHP system work?

jossanaijr

You must check if mail.php is enable.

danerd100

H

http://forum.freehostia.com/viewtopic.php?t=9012

It seems mail may not be available for free users of freehostia?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

danerd100

Okay, I contacted FreeHostia support on this subject.  They said I do not currently have smtp enabled, and would have to pay to get that.  but they did, however, say i could use my other account *********@cox.net.  I cannot get that one to work, how would I get that working

H

You'll need to use the SMTP method for mail. You can change from PHP mail to SMTP in the settings. See: Features and Options :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

danerd100

Okay, I have my stuff setup

Mail type                       SMTP
   SMTP server                    Pop.central.cox.net [nofollow] 'This is my isp smtp server
   SMTP port                     25 'This is correct
   SMTP username                Danerd100
   SMTP password               ********

H

Great :). Let us know if you encounter any problems. You can check for common errors in Admin area > Forum error log :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

danerd100

Here is my error log

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member  Guest      Reverse chronological order of list  Today at 01:48:54 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address **.***.**.**    Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 10e4fc3aaf284dac754df8dc1409ebcb
     Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/index.php?action=activate;sa=resend [nofollow]
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
Could not connect to SMTP host: 13 : Permission denied

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Guest    Reverse chronological order of list Today at 01:48:54 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address **.***.**.**      Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 10e4fc3aaf284dac754df8dc1409ebcb
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/index.php?action=activate;sa=resend [nofollow]
2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.central.cox.net [nofollow]:25 (Permission denied)
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/www/danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1318

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Guest    Reverse chronological order of list Today at 01:47:58 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address **.***.**.**      Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 10e4fc3aaf284dac754df8dc1409ebcb
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/index.php?action=activate;sa=resend;u=5 [nofollow]
Could not connect to SMTP host: 13 : Permission denied

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Guest    Reverse chronological order of list Today at 01:47:58 AM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address **.***.**.**     Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 10e4fc3aaf284dac754df8dc1409ebcb
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/index.php?action=activate;sa=resend;u=5 [nofollow]
2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.central.cox.net [nofollow]:25 (Permission denied)
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/www/danerd.freehostia.com/SMF/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1318

H

hmm permission denied normally means that either your login details are incorrect or maybe cox restricts access to their mail server (so you have to be logged in from a cox connection or similar)

The easiest thing would probably be to switch to a free host that allows mail. See Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services or FreeWHT
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

danerd100

If I were to switch, would I still be able to keep my same DB?

jossanaijr

Yes, just download it to your pc to keep a backup.

danerd100

I just decided to setup a g-mail account and it works perfectly

Advertisement: