News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrading to 1.1.5 and the database

Started by faminsk, May 11, 2008, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faminsk

I seem to be missing something.  Our forum was running SMF 1.1.3 and while doing routine maintenance I noticed a message that says that I should upgrade to 1.1.4 and click here for the patch.  I did.  I then wanted to add the Attachments layout mod for SMF.  It installed correctly but when I went to bring up a board with attachments in it, I got the following error:

QuoteNote: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.4, while your database is at version 1.1.1. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

So I thought, OK, here is another message that says I should upgrade to 1.1.5.  I uninstalled my mods and did the upgrade.  I then reinstalled my mods including the Attachments layout mod, and got the following error message:

QuoteNote: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.5, while your database is at version 1.1.1. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

I uninstalled the Attachments layout mod and things work fine.

Looks familar eh?  So now I have a few questions.

Are there no database updates in these patches?  Why not?

What do I do to fix this problem?

I do not see any upgrade.php module anywhere in my forum code, am I missing something?

If I need an upgrade package, why didn't you send me there to get it?

Here is the list of the packages I have installed on my forum.  Any help would be appreciated.

QuoteMod Name     Version     
1.    SMF 1.1.2 Update Package    1.1.2    [ Uninstall ]
2.    FelBlog    0.82    [ Uninstall ]
3.    SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
4.    SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
5.    SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    FlashChat Integration    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
7.    FelBlog for SMF    0.941    [ Uninstall ]
8.    SMF Sitemap    1.2.1    [ Uninstall ]

sawz

if it was me, just me now, i would get the 1.1.4 upgrade package, upload the 2 sql files and upgrade.php and call up upgrade.php in a browser.

but thats me.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

babjusi

There is no database changes between the versions of the same series. But to make that error go away, you can also go to the phpmyadmin at the cp of your host and change the values for the smf version from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 at the smf_settings table.

sawz

Quote from: babjusi on May 11, 2008, 01:26:02 PMchange the values for the smf version from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 at the smf_settings table.
i've wondered about that, it won't affect file version checks?

babjusi

Quote from: sawz on May 11, 2008, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: babjusi on May 11, 2008, 01:26:02 PMchange the values for the smf version from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 at the smf_settings table.
i've wondered about that, it won't affect ?

I don''t think it will. Because the OP from what I gathered has upgraded his forum, so the files have been replaced with those from the 1.1.5 version. That simple change it will only ''upgrade'' the version number at the database so he won''t keep getting that annoying message about the db needing an upgrade

sawz

well thats good to know, those messages can be irritating.

Pamirforum

i have one problem newly i install 1.1.5 to my new host name, and i have 1.1.4 in my other host, i want to restore 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 database, can you please tell me how to do this..

thank you

faminsk

Quote from: sawz on May 11, 2008, 01:40:15 PM
i've wondered about that, it won't affect file version checks?

I tried this since it was a very easy thing to do.  It did not work, even though I did not get the annoying message about the database not being at the right level, the mod still did not work. 

There was a database change between 1.1.1 and 1.1.4 and 1.1.5.  This brings me back to my original questions.

Why would a patch be posted in the package area telling you to upgrade your code without also applying any associated database changes?  That's just sloppy code management.  I would just rather be directed to grab an upgrade package that will maintain my forum correctly in the first place.

That leads me to other questions. 

Do I have to upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 and then to 1.1.5?

or can I go directly from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5? 

Do I apply the database changes? or the entire upgrade package? 

If so do I apply the package that refers to having mods?  Do I need to uninstall the mods before I apply the upgrade?

babjusi

@faminsk, there is no database changes between versions of the same series. They are mostly bug and security issues fixes.

Now, you ca upgrade your forum from the 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 in 2 ways.

1. You can update your forum one version at a time with just a few clicks from the package manager at the acp of your forum. There should be a link in there. Like this all your mods will be preserved intact

2. If the above way for some reason won''t work, then you can upgrade your forum manually. Upgrade it directly from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5.  For more info have a look here

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=3.0;sort=subject

But like this all your mods will be un-installed.

Hope it helps

faminsk

Quote from: babjusi on May 19, 2008, 06:28:47 PM
@faminsk, there is no database changes between versions of the same series. They are mostly bug and security issues fixes.

Now, you ca upgrade your forum from the 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 in 2 ways.

1. You can update your forum one version at a time with just a few clicks from the package manager at the acp of your forum. There should be a link in there. Like this all your mods will be preserved intact

2. If the above way for some reason won''t work, then you can upgrade your forum manually. Upgrade it directly from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5.  For more info have a look here

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=3.0;sort=subject

But like this all your mods will be un-installed.

Hope it helps

Ok...let's go back to the beginning.  Here is the problem. 

I am at version 1.1.5. 

I got there by applying the package mods from 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 when they showed up on the package manager (see list below).

I am trying to apply the Attachments Layout mod to my forum and when I do I get the following error whenever I access a post with an attachment:

QuoteUnknown table 'thumb' in order clause
File: /home/www/mysite/Sources/Display.php
Line: 711

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.5, while your database is at version 1.1.1. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Here is my Installed Packages list:

Quote1.     SMF 1.1.2 Update Package     1.1.2     [ Uninstall ]
2.    FelBlog    0.82    [ Uninstall ]
3.    SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
4.    SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
5.    SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    FlashChat Integration    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
7.    FelBlog for SMF    0.941    [ Uninstall ]
8.    SMF Sitemap    1.2.1    [ Uninstall ]
9.    nneonneo's AJAX ShoutBox    1.15    [ Uninstall ]

A few things are obvious to me:

1.  There was a database change between 1.1.1 and 1.1.5.  If there wasn't I wouldn't be getting a database error.

2. The upgrades from the package manager did NOT apply those database changes otherwise my database would not be at Version 1.1.1 and I would not have a missing table.

Now, let me get back to the main question.  What do I do?

I have the "official" upgrade package.  Should I just upload the sql and upgrade.php and execute it?

Should I uninstall all the package upgrades and go back to 1.1.1 and upgrade from the download site?

Should I apply the sql changes manually through phpMyAdmin?

The only way I found this error was trying to install the Attachements Layout mod.

I do not want to uninstall and reinstall all of the mods again.

Thanks again for your help.

greyknight17

Aside from a simple version number change (which is not critical), there is no database change between the minor versions. What you are getting is normal because there was no change. Picture this. You have SMF 1.1.1 originally and that was the LAST time it was updated. Guess what? The database still says I'm at version 1.1.1. Why? Because when you updated to SMF 1.1.5 using the patches, there were NO database changes made since it wasn't really necessary. If the message bugs you or prevents you from doing something, all that you need to do is change the SMF version value in the database to 1.1.5.

Just as a simple test, try using SMF 1.1.5 files on your original 1.1.1 database and see what happens. Ignore your mod errors, that's something else unrelated to this upgrade question. I'm sure it will work without any errors because the only things that really changed were the codes for the SMF files.

Feel free to run the upgrade.php if you like. I don't see a point of doing so though.

Have you taken some time to think if it could possibly be an error on the mod's part also? Maybe it didn't execute all the steps properly or something went wrong in the background? You can change the SMF version in the database to reflect the new 1.1.5 version and then try installing the mod again to see if it helps (uninstall it first).

Afro

Quote from: greyknight17 on June 01, 2008, 03:09:44 PM
Aside from a simple version number change (which is not critical), there is no database change between the minor versions. What you are getting is normal because there was no change. Picture this. You have SMF 1.1.1 originally and that was the LAST time it was updated. Guess what? The database still says I'm at version 1.1.1. Why? Because when you updated to SMF 1.1.5 using the patches, there were NO database changes made since it wasn't really necessary. If the message bugs you or prevents you from doing something, all that you need to do is change the SMF version value in the database to 1.1.5.

pls  how do i  change the SMF version value in the database to 1.1.5.?

greyknight17

Go into phpMyAdmin and click on your database. Then click on the SQL tab and copy paste the following code and run it:

UPDATE `smf_settings` SET `value`='1.1.5' WHERE `variable`='smfVersion' LIMIT 1;

That will update the value to say it's version 1.1.5.

qtime

Incorrect key file for table './saff/form_boards.MYI'; try to repair it
File: /var/www/html/saff/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 2070

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.5, while your database is at version 1.1.4. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

so this has nothing to do with the upgrade, just have to do a table repair?

greyknight17

Repair the table since it has a problem there. Also change the version so it doesn't "complain" about it ;) Just run the above SQL query to update it.

Advertisement: