News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

board categories not showing to guest or editable

Started by rikatglc, June 09, 2008, 11:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikatglc

Hi There

I am totally new to SMF and have downloaded the latest version today to try it as had seen it else where and liked the look.

THe problem I seemed to have is that my complete new install doesnt seem give me the options to modify a category so that the category title itself can bee seen but not what boards are inside it.  It seems I have to enable a board inside the category to allow guests to view it for the category title to be shown ?

It seems strange that there is no options for the category titles themselves to be seen by cetain member groups (in my example teachers, students and guests are my main group I am concered with).  ie I want a guest to see that there is a teacher and student category but not see what is inside that category.  I want a student to see there is a teacher category but not see inside it, but to see all inside their category. etc.

I did a search but didnt seem to find any answers, I may have missed it as I am new to it, but I hope the above makes sense.  It seems there are a few tick boxes missing in this version to do this.

my test site is at hxxp:glcportal.co.uk/forum [nonactive]  but isnt very exciting ;)

Regards

Richard L
autology.org

Oldiesmann

Welcome to SMF :)

Currently, SMF only shows categories to users if they can see at least one board within that category. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to add additional code to load information for specific categories in advance. Which version of SMF are you using?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: