Can't get converting to work

Started by aod_, June 10, 2008, 02:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aod_

I have a free hosted forum with bizhat. I wish to move the contents of the forum to some new webspace and resume the forum using SMF.

Having obtained a database backup of the phpBB forum (an SQL file), I asked my webhost if they could help me restore the sql file to a new database on my webspace.

The have created a new MySQL database, and populated it with the contents of the phpBB SQL backup data. They asked me to create a username and password, and assign it to the new database, which I have now done.

I have installed SMF onto the webspace, and entered the corresponding database details for the above. The installation is complete, however the forum still contains the default board set up, rather than the old data I want to transfer.

Having looked at the database in phpMyAdmin, it appears there are tables from both the old phpBB forum, and the new SMF forum.

I have tried to use the convert tool, however it just listed a page of error messages, and at the bottom displayed that the conversion was a success. It wasn't.

I don't understand how this tool works, and how I am supposed to use it – the instructions seemed a little vague.

Any help would be appreciated.

ThorstenE

do you have a running phpbb on the new webspace? The convert.php asks for a path to phpbb and this should be a real path with phpbb files in it. 

At least the config.php from phpbb is needed with correct Infos for Database-Access. For convesion of  Avatars and Attachments you also need them in the phpbb-path.

aod_

The previous forum is running from a free, limited access host

http://phpbb.bizhat.com/ [nofollow]

I have no access to any files here. If you read the FAQ about 'How can i get backup of hosted phpBB forum' – you'll see you have to pay for a database backup.

I did this, and have a single sql file. That's all.

I want to use the contents of this sql file to populate a new SMF forum, running on a new paid for web host that I now use.

ThorstenE

create a folder named phpbb, then upload a config.php into it.

Code (config.php) Select
<?php

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms 'mysql4';

$dbhost 'localhost';
$dbname 'smf';
$dbuser 'root';
$dbpasswd 'root';

$table_prefix 'phpbb_';

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED'true);

?>

change the parameters for $dbuser, $dbname etc. to your Database-Settings.

aod_

Quote from: ThorstenE on June 10, 2008, 03:31:59 PM
create a folder named phpbb, then upload a config.php into it.

Code (config.php) Select
<?php

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms 'mysql4';

$dbhost 'localhost';
$dbname 'smf';
$dbuser 'root';
$dbpasswd 'root';

$table_prefix 'phpbb_';

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED'true);

?>

change the parameters for $dbuser, $dbname etc. to your Database-Settings.

Great, many thanks for that! I'm not sure what the table prefix should be? Is this the prefix that the old forum tables have, or the prefix for the new database?

Once I've amended/uploaded the file, what should I do next? What should I do with the phpbbbackup.sql file?
Do I need to use it for this conversion? What is the phpbb2_to_smf.sql file for, that I downloaded with the convert.php?

Remember, I already have a database populated with the tables from the old phpbb forum - this just needs to be reflected in the new SMF forum.

ThorstenE

I'm not sure what the table prefix should be? Is this the prefix that the old forum tables have, or the prefix for the new database?
yes, prefix from phpbb tables..

The Backup-File is not needed when it's already imported into your database.

After that you have to download phpbb2_to_smf.sql (attached in this topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=142124.0) and the convert.php (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=140741.0)

all necessary information about conversion can be found here:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=4.0;sort=subject

aod_

Quote from: ThorstenE on June 10, 2008, 04:12:45 PM
I'm not sure what the table prefix should be? Is this the prefix that the old forum tables have, or the prefix for the new database?
yes, prefix from phpbb tables..

The Backup-File is not needed when it's already imported into your database.

After that you have to download phpbb2_to_smf.sql (attached in this topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=142124.0) and the convert.php (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=140741.0)

all necessary information about conversion can be found here:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=4.0;sort=subject

Thanks again. I seem to be getting somewhere - having done the above and rerun the convert.php  - all the conversion tasks were succsessful...

...However, upon viewing my forum, there are no boards/posts. The membership base is there, and I can log in, even the avatars are correct. Just missing the main content!!

SleePy

Are you sure the backup contains the old posts and such?
Is there content in the phpbb database under the xxx_posts table? (Where xxx is your prefix).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

aod_

Quote from: SleePy on June 10, 2008, 04:50:36 PM
Are you sure the backup contains the old posts and such?
Is there content in the phpbb database under the xxx_posts table? (Where xxx is your prefix).

It's cool, I just logged in as admin, and can see it all - it's a private forum, so I think I need to reset the permissions to view the topics!

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

aod_

Quote from: SleePy on June 10, 2008, 04:53:33 PM
Yes :)

Well this appears to be a problem. There are only 10 members on the forum, I created us all as standard members, with permissions to view all the boards. The membergroup permissions allow create/view/modify topics and posts etc. For some reason when I log in, there are no options to create a new topic or reply to posts.

I did the same with the calendar, but it won't allow me to post.

SleePy

Check the Admin -> Permissions
for the phpbb groups.

If you don't think you will need the phpbb groups that where converted you could just delete them (but make sure you are in the regular administrator group before removing the phpbb admin group).

aod_

Quote from: SleePy on June 10, 2008, 06:08:33 PM
Check the Admin -> Permissions
for the phpbb groups.

If you don't think you will need the phpbb groups that where converted you could just delete them (but make sure you are in the regular administrator group before removing the phpbb admin group).

There was a phpbb group, however I moved the admin user to the administrator group and deleted the phpbb group.

The other (9) users including my own non admin account, were assigned to a new membergroup I created, with similar permissions to a standard user, plus a few more (ability to create/view posts etc is enabled).

When I log in as this user, I can't create new topics, or reply to posts - the only tabs available in boards are 'Mark Unread' and 'Print'

I also moved my username to global moderator account, but it had no effect (permissions were set to allow posting etc).

I'm stumped...

SleePy

As an admin you can't see the post buttons? Or just a user?

aod_

Quote from: SleePy on June 11, 2008, 01:45:04 PM

As admin, it's fine - I can do anything -

As a normal user, I can't see the post buttons.

aod_

Quote from: aod_ on June 11, 2008, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: SleePy on June 11, 2008, 01:45:04 PM

As admin, it's fine - I can do anything -

As a normal user, I can't see the post buttons.

Think i've found the cause of the problem.

Permissions by board, were set to local, and no permissions granted. I've set permissions by board to global, and it all works. Hopefully the membergroup policys will still be effective in this set up.

SleePy

Ahh yes, forgot about local permissions

Well now membergroup policies are taking affect ;)
When the boards are using local permissions they will override the permissions you have set for the groups.

Advertisement: