News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Prevent Adding Signature Images And Links

Started by KiLLuMiNaTi-7-, June 10, 2008, 05:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiLLuMiNaTi-7-

Link to Mod

Prevent Adding Signature Images And Links 2.0

Features

• Four options in the admin panel under: Admin -> Features and Options -> Signatures.

• Allow links in signatures
    • Post count under which users links are removed.
      (0 to block links for everyone, admins are exempt)
    • Allow images in signatures
    • Post count under which users images are removed
      (0 to block images for everyone, admins are exempt)
  • Admins are excluded so they can add images/links to their own or ANY users profile area.
  • You can apply the rules for all signatures on the forum by going to Admin -> Features and Options -> Signatures. Make sure you save the settings before you apply to all existing signatures.

Installation
This mod edits the Profile.template.php file. So make sure to tick your custom themes when you install the package in the SMF package manager under "Install in Other Themes" (only themes with the Profile.template.php file will show up so you may not need to do this).

IMPORTANT! - After you have installed the mod it should redirect you to: Admin -> Features and Options -> Signatures. You should then edit the new "Post count under which users links are removed." & "Post count under which users images are removed" Settings to your liking. Otherwise by default when the mod is installed no one will be able to use links/images in their signatures.

Upgrade
To upgrade from earlier versions. Uninstall the old version first then install the new one.

Credit
Original mod by Karl Benson
URL regex by http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/improved_regex_for_matching_urls (public domain)

ChangeLog

1.0 - 23rd August 2007
o Initial release
1.1 - 25th October 2007
o Improved matching
o Fixed autoconverted links without http:// not being removed
1.2 - 22nd November 2007
o Added Greek/Greek-utf8 (Thanks to MinasC)
1.3 - 3rd June 2008
o Mod taken over by UTM-MaKaVeLi
o Added support for 1.1.5
o Added screenshots
2.0 - 16th December 2011
o Rewrote mod for SMF 2.0 (finally!)
o Uses improved regex.
o Ability to remove links/images from existing signatures.

kai920

Thanks UTM-MaKaVeLi and of course Karl Benson for the original mod. This will be useful for those "register, add URL links to signature, add 3 useless posts and never come back" type of fake users.  ::) ::)

QuoteIt does NOT affect any signatures already in use.  ONLY when they come to edit their signature again (or any settings on the same profile page) will any removal of links/images take place.

Question on the above- is there a mod or a way you know of to display a list of all users' signatures, preferably with their post count? Ah, this seems to work well in phpmyadmin: SELECT `memberName`,`posts`,`signature` FROM `smf_members`

PS. you need to update the second "Link to Mod" URL :)

KiLLuMiNaTi-7-

Quote from: kai920 on June 18, 2008, 12:17:56 AM
Thanks UTM-MaKaVeLi and of course Karl Benson for the original mod. This will be useful for those "register, add URL links to signature, add 3 useless posts and never come back" type of fake users.  ::) ::)

QuoteIt does NOT affect any signatures already in use.  ONLY when they come to edit their signature again (or any settings on the same profile page) will any removal of links/images take place.

Question on the above- is there a mod or a way you know of to display a list of all users' signatures, preferably with their post count? Ah, this seems to work well in phpmyadmin: SELECT `memberName`,`posts`,`signature` FROM `smf_members`

Im glad you got your question sorted yourself ;)

QuotePS. you need to update the second "Link to Mod" URL :)

kai920

Quote from: UTM-MaKaVeLi on June 18, 2008, 04:41:42 AM

Yep, I found a few useless SPAM signatures in my forum.. not sure if I've already banned them, but I have since removed the signatures through phpmyadmin, and set a minimum of 10 posts in order to add links & images. :)

KiLLuMiNaTi-7-

Quote from: kai920 on June 18, 2008, 04:53:33 AM
Quote from: UTM-MaKaVeLi on June 18, 2008, 04:41:42 AM

Yep, I found a few useless SPAM signatures in my forum.. not sure if I've already banned them, but I have since removed the signatures through phpmyadmin, and set a minimum of 10 posts in order to add links & images. :)

Thats good mate :)

I think this s a great mod and I will be looking forward to adding new features.

kai920

Yes, definitely very useful -- Hopefully more users here will find out about it.

labradors

Quote from: Drover on January 30, 2009, 12:23:29 PM
Has anyone tried this with 1.7?

You mean 1.1.7?  Works for me.

The one thing missing, that would turn this from a generally useful mod to an out-of-the-park home run is for it also to prevent links in MESSAGES (including new messages, replies, quotes and edited messages) from people below the necessary post count.  Lots of spammers don't even bother with signatures, and just register, post links or images, and run.

weisus

Great mod, thanks a million. Used it on v-1.1.8 and it works beautifully.

Now I just need to find a mod that will allow me to delay users abilities to link in posts, but I'm sure it's here somewhere. Thanks again-Weisus

asma

Great mod, thanks a million. Used it on v-1.1.11 and it works beautifully.  thanks again!

mwmconsulting

Yes indeed!  Thanks for the mod Karl.  This is exactly what I need to stop the Spammers from registering with my forum and putting spam links in their signature.  I hope it works.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

- MWM

P.S.  You might want to update the mod so that it's not listed as "outdated".  It works just fine with the latest version of SMF (1.1.11).
========================
MWM Consulting, Inc.
InSiteful Business Solutions
http://www.mwmconsulting.biz
========================

Scott S

Nao 尚

Hmm, maybe I should install something like this... Turn it into a 2.0 mod... Add an option for stopping filling it the Website field as well...
I've always been careful of such abuse on my site in the past, but ever since yesterday, spammers seem to have passed each other the word that my website is the place to spam. Did anyone else experience an increase in such spam?
(I'm aware that the only way to know that is probably to do as I do and make a custom mod that shows the website link and signature for newcomers...)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

~DS~

Quote from: Nao 尚 on August 05, 2010, 04:34:16 AM
Hmm, maybe I should install something like this... Turn it into a 2.0 mod... Add an option for stopping filling it the Website field as well...
I've always been careful of such abuse on my site in the past, but ever since yesterday, spammers seem to have passed each other the word that my website is the place to spam. Did anyone else experience an increase in such spam?
(I'm aware that the only way to know that is probably to do as I do and make a custom mod that shows the website link and signature for newcomers...)
I use Signature Prompt mod to piss off spammer. >:D
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

mgrmgr

This mod looks good for our site - only thing: is it possible to expand the mod so that it is also possible to only allow certain member groups to have images in their signatures?

Nodaz

I use the Outline theme ( Dziner Studios) for SMF this mod is installed but not functioning, i don't see exact instructions on what i should modify to get it to work.
I dont see a profile.template.php in the outline theme folder

flapper

Cant believe this mod has not been updated to work on SMF 2.0 RC4 , lately spammers have joined my site just so they can add there spamming signatures and don't post!!

Carotio

This seems to be a mod for me too. However, a shame it hasn't been updated to 2.0 RC5 either.....  :(

I have the same problem with spammers....  >:(

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

More-to-life

UK Bike Forum - The biggest motorcycle forum magazine in Wales UK.
Gear Up Magazine - Gear Up Motorcycle Magazine.
United Bikers UK Motorcycle Forum - A Brand New UK Bike Forum.
Used Cars South Wales - Search For Your Next Used Car In Laleston, Bridgend, South Wales.
Bikers Of Wales Motorcycle Website - Motorbike Info
Honda - Honda UK

!RFAN

Advertisement: