News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Customize site, Some new features.

Started by SleePy, November 22, 2008, 09:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

The customize site was updated a couple days ago, I have really been meaning to get this out to the community sooner to explain one of the new features.

In light of SMF 2.0 having some new features, we have put a few of these on the customize site. Authors will notice that on editing/submission of their work, they can now be lazy and use the WYSIWYG editor :D

A Mini-profile was added as well. We do plan to add more to the profile, but at this time it shows you the authors customizations for both the mod and theme site. As well if you are viewing your profile, you can manage notifications of updates.

One of the other new features is notifications of updates. As a user, you can subscribe to updates. When the author updates their work, they can choose an option to send the update notifications. Allowing you to be notified of updates (Such as a new version support or feature enhancement in a customization).

Another new feature we added is Additional Authors. For the regular end user, this just allows you to know that more than one author has created this customization. For Authors, this is a whole new game. You can easily allow others to maintain and update your customization. In addition during the approval process, they will receive pms from the customize user as the regular author does when we send a pm.

For authors looking to transfer ownership of a customization, we have also added a feature which lets us easily transfer a mod over to a new author. This means their name now appears as the author and the topic starter of the support topic (Which allows them to moderate the topic).

That is all for now. I was supposed to get this out when I updated the customize site, but it has been a busy couple of weeks for me in trying to keep up with everything going on in Real Life in addition to Simple Machines.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Dragooon

This is great! I noticed most of the features yesterday when updating my mod.

I got a question, can Additional Authors have full control over the mod? Like editing the mod, editing the topic etc?

Deprecated

Please get rid of the "Most Popular Mods." That system had been deleted, and new mod authors (within the last several months) cannot have their mods rated, due to the lack of any voting system, it having been removed.

The "Top 10 Downloads" is at least a fair metric.

How about adding a feature, "Most Popular Recent Downloads" ? Like average the downloads over the last year or something... Or downloads per month rated upon the last month's activity?

SleePy

Quote from: Dragooon on November 22, 2008, 10:09:14 PM
This is great! I noticed most of the features yesterday when updating my mod.

I got a question, can Additional Authors have full control over the mod? Like editing the mod, editing the topic etc?

Additional Authors can do everything other than add/remove other additional authors.
They can't moderate the topic because they are not the topic starter.
One of the things I need to do is make it when you update the description on the mod site it does it on the mod support topic. Someday I will get that done :P

Quote from: Deprecated on November 22, 2008, 11:03:52 PM
Please get rid of the "Most Popular Mods." That system had been deleted, and new mod authors (within the last several months) cannot have their mods rated, due to the lack of any voting system, it having been removed.

The "Top 10 Downloads" is at least a fair metric.

How about adding a feature, "Most Popular Recent Downloads" ? Like average the downloads over the last year or something... Or downloads per month rated upon the last month's activity?

Top 10 Downloads just counts a Mods total downloads, Top 10 Most Popular mods are mods with a high download count over I believe it is a week (Maybe two). They are different enough.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Deprecated

Well did we get rid of the "rate this modification" stuff? Maybe I'm thinking of a different feature. The one I'm thinking of, the statistics were shown but there was no way to rate new mods, hasn't been any way for several months.

Actually there should be an explanation given in how that list is calculated, just so that people understand the metric. Data is less useful if you don't know how it is calculated.

Deprecated

Quote from: SleePy on November 22, 2008, 11:38:50 PMOne of the things I need to do is make it when you update the description on the mod site it does it on the mod support topic. Someday I will get that done :P

You know some mod authors add additional information to the topic starter, screenshots and such. If you change that I'm sure there will be some surprised people, although I imagine it might be a good way to have that work.

Deaks

yes the rate feature was removed a while ago, i think there are still some small bits needing tidied on both mod and theme site.  However im not 100% sure.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SleePy

There shouldn't be any code left for it at all. I hopefully removed it.

Deaks

ill check later ... im sur i saw some 
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Deprecated

It would be nice if the whatever it is "Most popular mods" had a 7-day or 10-day running average of the most recent download statistics.

That way the "top 10 downloads" would have the long term data, and the "most popular" would show the current trend. That would be kind of like the top 10 music charts on the radio.

SleePy

Deprecated

Thank you for the explanation. It's still not clear how a modification could get 346.8571 downloads in 7 days. :P

Perhaps a link to an explanation or a key or something might aid in understanding the data.

SleePy

That would be about how many downloads they had in a single day. :P

vbgamer45

Great Job Sleepy! Awesome new features that makes it better for users
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Deprecated

Thanks Sleeperz! :P

I agree with VB, definitely getting better. :)

Um... may I suggest you round it off to no more significance than tenths? I'm sure you took the same statistics that class I did, although of course many years later. :P

you might add an asterisk and a note * downloads/day

Dragooon

Some things I noted

The link of additional authors does not lead to the same area as authors does and in the author's profile it doesn't link the mods they are in as a additional author.

Advertisement: