News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Notify user of every new topic all of the time?

Started by cdeniro, June 11, 2008, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdeniro

I have searched but cant seem to find the answer to this.

I want an email to be sent to an email alias everytime a new topic is created. I added a user with the email alias and it gets a single notification. The notification states it wont send anymore though until that user logs in.

I need to know how to get around this. This is a private board on a private server so I am not concerned with any host issues.

I am somewhat PHP savvy but can't seem to locate a way to modify this behavior.

Thanks

cdeniro

bump..  this is affecting my ability to use this tool.

Thanks

jossanaijr

Users only can receive notifications if they want and decided to.  Admins cannot setup this (only send announcements).

N3RVE

Hello cdeniro,

The user can place notifications on board(s) so they get notified everytime a new topic is posted to that board, There is a "notify" link in every board.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

cdeniro

The issue is that the user is not notified of every new topic that is created.
The notification email states "More topics may be posted, but you won't receive more email notifications until you return to the board and read some of them." And I have verified that if a new topic is created before the user logs in they are not notified. I am trying to figure out how to disable that function. I want the user to be emailed for every single topic regardless of when they last logged in.

jossanaijr

Yes, I understood but user have the choice not to be spamed...
This had been discussed many times here.
This is one topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=227931.0

cdeniro

I am not sure why you think this would spam the user. If a user chooses notify on a board they should be notified of every topic created. Not just the first one. It would be nice if there was an option to choose how often to be notified, (i.e. every post, once a day etc.) but the default behavior is very restrictive.

I am looking for the php that limits the notification to just the first post. In my case there is going to be 10 or so users and the forum will not be checked often so I am trying to have every single new topic get sent to an email alias that these 10 people belong to. I am not concerned with the number of emails users receive.

It seems this should be simple to do.

greyknight17

This is not a feature in SMF. If you would like to have this feature we can move this topic over to the Mod Request board for you to see if anyone can make a mod for it.

Advertisement: